Post a reply

Re: Who Said That?!

Postby James Bentley

"his prodigious drug-taking"

Ray Reardon about Alex Higgins.

Postby Empire State Human

Moved on to a new page, so here's a reminder of the question:
'He played all right, I suppose, but it was _____________________ in the first session that did me in. He's a talented player but I wouldn't say he is the best player in the world, even though the rankings would seem to prove it'.

?

JB, if you'd said 'sunlight' and Ray Reardon I might've given it you, but even so, Ray was invariably generous in congratulating his opponents. (edit: just to clarify, Reardon didn't make the comments at all!)

Dan-Cat is right. Salty. Think Salt ... 1980s Salt:

Last edited by Empire State Human on 30 May 2022, edited 2 times in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

‘the television lights’ and Ray Reardon, then - although I couldn’t hazard a guess at the player he’s referring to or the tournament he would have said it at… :chin:

No sorry, it's not Reardon (my last comment was a joke).

The speaker isn't as well established as the names mentioned already. He made the comments after losing a rare ranking final appearance. In fact, this match is probably his most famous match.

Postby SnookerEd25

“the pressure” :chin:

Could be Dean Reynolds after his whitewash against the Nugget in the Rothmans final. ‘88 was it? Or ‘89?

Reynolds is right, but it wasn't the pressure that was to blame. That would imply some culpability of his own towards the result...

Postby SnookerEd25

Well, let’s try the obvious for starters :

“the referee”

:chin:

John Street was in charge of the final, and Reynolds' nemesis John Williams was nowhere in sight, so that excuse was inconveniently unavailable.

Postby SnookerEd25

Got to be the table then. Always the table (if it’s not the referee, the lighting, the conditions, his own inadequacies or the roads)

So - “the table”? :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

Ah, the crowd.

“Bloody crowd, always on their phones / eating crisps / moving on my shot / coughing like they’ve got TB”

(delete as appropriate)

Nope. I can't believe how everyone is side-stepping around the answer. The answer is probably given as often as 'conditions' as an excuse.

Postby chengdufan

Bad luck/bad run of the balls

Chengdufan nails it. Reynolds' exact phrase was 'all the balls running against me in the first session that did me in.'

The match goes down as one of the unluckiest 10-0s on record.

Postby chengdufan

'I held my hands up in Turkey and it was the biggest mistake I've made in 27 years as a professional. It's probably the only real time I've got in trouble. ___ ___ _______ was the best result I've ever had as a professional. It is a lot to take in but looking back at it, things have worked out in the end.'

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Getting knocked out?
Rob Milkins?

Milkins is correct. But not the quote.
Well done for remembering his mishap in Turkey

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Is that correct or no?

No

Postby Iranu

“The win today” Rob Milkins?

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:“The win today” Rob Milkins?

Getting closer.

This interview came at the end of the season, reflecting on the year.

Postby Iranu

“To win Gibraltar”?

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:“To win Gibraltar”?

Close enough!
The quote was actually:

The next tournament...

The full interview is one of the latest articles on wst.tv.

Postby Iranu

Oh ffs Iranu!

‘Basically I want to ____ ____ and try and enjoy playing in a match arena again.’