Post a reply

Re: Who Said That?!

Postby SnookerEd25

Empire State Human is indeed correct. Steve had an unshakable belief in his own ability to not get ‘caught out’ by the foul and a miss rule <ok>

Postby Empire State Human

A player describing the sense of inevitably losing a World Championship match in the 1970s despite having a commanding lead:

'The feeling hit me like a ____ ____. I felt I just couldn't do anything about it. I've had that feeling a few other times since. You're regretting things that you did wrong that were silly or stupid and now you deserve to lose. If the particular shot that started it all off came up now I wouldn't shoot it.'

Postby Prop

Freight train?

And I’ll have a pop at Terry Griffiths.

Not Griffiths, and not a freight train -- the first time those two objects have been linked in the same sentence.

The match in question occurred in 1978 and the loser lost 12-13 from 12-8 up.

People are getting close to the player, so I won't give any further clues on that.

The missing part of the quote relates to a natural phenomenon, as opposed to a man-made one (brick wall, freight train, etc.)

Postby Prop

A bit of reading tells me it might have been Alex Higgins, beaten by Patsy Fagan.

And maybe “lightning bolt”?

Postby badtemperedcyril

I was letting someone else have a go but it’s dragged on a bit so I’ll answer: Cliff Thorburn “tidal wave” (1978 Quarter Final, Charlton won 13-12)

Cyril is spot on.

Always thought it was a brilliant description of being unable to stop the panic and loss of control felt in that situation.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Empire State Human wrote:Cyril is spot on.

Always thought it was a brilliant description of being unable to stop the panic and loss of control felt in that situation.

Yes it was. Similar in a way to Davis describing the feeling that comes over you when your big lead is gradually being eroded... "The further you go ahead the more there's like an elastic dragging you back"

Postby badtemperedcyril

"You want to hit it as hard as you can and hopefully get a fluke. If I was as good Mark or Steve Davis or ______ _______ at getting out of snookers, I could maybe get the balls safe"

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:"You want to hit it as hard as you can and hopefully get a fluke. If I was as good Mark or Steve Davis or ______ _______ at getting out of snookers, I could maybe get the balls safe"

Oh very good rofl

It’s Ronnie. And the missing words are “John Higgins”

Postby badtemperedcyril

Prop wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:"You want to hit it as hard as you can and hopefully get a fluke. If I was as good Mark or Steve Davis or ______ _______ at getting out of snookers, I could maybe get the balls safe"

Oh very good rofl

I'm afraid not

Postby Prop

badtemperedcyril wrote:
Prop wrote:

Oh very good rofl

I'm afraid not

It was Ronnie though, wasn’t it?

Postby badtemperedcyril

Prop wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:
Prop wrote:

Oh very good rofl

I'm afraid not

It was Ronnie though, wasn’t it?

Aye

Postby Prop

He said it about Selby.

Postby SnookerEd25

Ronnie O’Sullivan and Marcel Gauvreau?