Post a reply

Re: The Salt Quiz

Postby Iranu

G: Fouldsy?

Postby rekoons

Empire State Human wrote:Rekoons - N is indeed Ebdon. Morgan is his opponent. Some context here from 2:50 https://youtu.be/8iRlsuEsvdU?t=172

So, and Ebdon claims "I've never directed that kind of thing at anyone ... I've never done that,"

:chin:
<laugh>

Postby Alex0paul

Chen Zifan
Lucas Kleckers
Alex Borg

Postby Empire State Human

A - Alex Higgins after his loss to Silvino Francisco in the semi-final of the 1985 British Open.
G - Dominic Dale after losing to Jimmy White 10-2 in the 2002 World Championship.
R - Dean Reynolds after losing 5-0 to White in the 1990 Humo Masters.
S - Neal Foulds after losing 5-4 to Robby Foldvari in the 1991 British Open.
T - Player A is Cliff Thorburn. Player B is Fred Davis.

Postby vodkadiet1

A player said this after beating a player in the semis of a ranking event in the 80s - "I didn't know what shot he was going to play half of the time, and I don't think he did either."

A former Crucible quarter finalist said this of a lower ranked player after losing to him in an early round of a ranking event in the early 90s - "It will be interesting to see if he is playing snooker in a year's time or down at the jobcentre."

Postby vodkadiet1

Empire State Human wrote:First: - Steve Davis? Sounds familiar, but can't place it.
Second: - complete guess - Gary Wilkinson.

No. The first was from a player who was to play Steve Davis in the final and then himself lose 9-2 in an ITV event.

The second was from a player who ended up in prison for drink driving.

Postby SnookerEd25

vodkadiet1 wrote:

I’d assume that to be Dean Reynolds again then? He was a particularly salty fellow. And in the early 90s, the ‘open era’, he could be speaking of almost anyone - but I’ll assume the irony of the statement is that the player in question did have something of a notable career and guess at this year’s Father of the Crucible : Mark Davis

Postby vodkadiet1

SnookerEd25 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

I’d assume that to be Dean Reynolds again then? He was a particularly salty fellow. And in the early 90s, the ‘open era’, he could be speaking of almost anyone - but I’ll assume the irony of the statement is that the player in question did have something of a notable career and guess at this year’s Father of the Crucible : Mark Davis

Yes, it was Reynolds, but it wasn't anyone with a notable career, although he did have the initials JW.

Postby SnookerEd25

vodkadiet1 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

Yes, it was Reynolds, but it wasn't anyone with a notable career, although he did have the initials JW.

‘Giro’ Jon Wright? :chin:

That would be irony...

Postby vodkadiet1

SnookerEd25 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
vodkadiet1 wrote:

‘Giro’ Jon Wright? :chin:

That would be irony...

No. I think this guy got through Q School a couple of years ago.

Postby Prop

I want to say Steady Eddie for one of them but I’m not sure :chin:

Postby Prop

Empire State Human wrote:Steady Eddie is correct, and won the match. The loser was another BBC commentator ...

Really?! Oh crap.. I’m a bit unprepared for setting a new question. Bear with me!

EDIT: I’ve no idea who he might have played.. :chin:

Postby Empire State Human

You're not obliged to set a new question, like on the other quizzes. This thread is a free-for-all as and when you come across some salty comments. :)

Postby Prop

Empire State Human wrote:You're not obliged to set a new question, like on the other quizzes. This thread is a free-for-all as and when you come across some salty comments. :)

Gotcha :-) Well I’m happy to have contributed something… albeit by fluke!

Postby SnookerEd25

I’m going to guess at John Virgo for Eddie’s protagonist. He was always a volatile mixture of benevolence and fury. :chin: