Post a reply

Re: The Greatest Hits Quiz!

Postby HappyCamper

i was making lunch/ but on the clues would have to be jimmy 'bo' horne.

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:Jimmy Eat World had a few good songs like pain and Bleed American bleed, they had to change the name of that song to "salt sweat sugar" though as it was out around the time of September 11th 2001

Jimmy Eat World are one of my favourite bands. Tons of good songs. Their best imho are 'Get it faster' and 'Firefight'

Postby chengdufan

chengdufan wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Jimmy Eat World had a few good songs like pain and Bleed American bleed, they had to change the name of that song to "salt sweat sugar" though as it was out around the time of September 11th 2001

Jimmy Eat World are one of my favourite bands. Tons of good songs. Their best imho are 'Get it faster' and 'Firefight'

Saw them live at Rock City in Nottingham. Cracking venue that. Some good memories. Used to go there every Thursday night when at uni. They hosted some really good acts.

Postby Juddernaut88

My pot success during that round was 0% I was a strong strong contender to feature in a brand new tv show called "I can't play snooker" if that was to ever exist :chuckle:

Postby chengdufan

Dan-cat wrote:HC takes it. That was a Selby-esque frame, reds on the cushions, colours tied up.

The answer to Spank was Jimmy 'Bo' Horne... check it out, is a lot of fun!

HappyCamper got that one. Hidden between my remincences, sorry!

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:
chengdufan wrote:

Saw them live at Rock City in Nottingham. Cracking venue that. Some good memories. Used to go there every Thursday night when at uni. They hosted some really good acts.

Great place. The size of it is part of the recipe. It’s not quite ‘intimate’, but in terms of acoustics you rarely leave the place thinking “that sounded rubbish!”

Last time I was there I saw Richard Ashcroft. Not the best gig I’ve ever been to, but it was enjoyable. His band are good. Likely an ensemble of the best session musicians his money could afford! He’s still an absolute space cadet <laugh>

Postby Iranu

Fun fact: the Oasis song Cast No Shadow was written about Richard Ashcroft.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Fun fact: the Oasis song Cast No Shadow was written about Richard Ashcroft.

Indeed. One of my fave Oasis tracks :-)

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:Fun fact: the Oasis song Cast No Shadow was written about Richard Ashcroft.

Probably wouldn’t crack my top 20!

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:

Probably wouldn’t crack my top 20!

Well yeah, tbh I do have over a dozen ‘favourite’ Oasis tunes <laugh>

Postby HappyCamper

ka-boom!

1. mr big stuff
2. boo'd up
3. georgy girl
4. saving all my love for you
5. i think i'm paranoid
6. everything is everything
7. germfree adolescents
8. savage
9. mr sandman
10. love story
Last edited by HappyCamper on 13 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Prop

Is 2 the Boo Radleys? Just remembered they had a track called Wake Up Boo, so logic dictates...

Postby LDS

Prop wrote:Is 2 the Boo Radleys? Just remembered they had a track called Wake Up Boo, so logic dictates...

Am I wrong in thinking this is supposed to be greatest hits? Rather than random obscure songs/tracks?

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Prop wrote:Is 2 the Boo Radleys? Just remembered they had a track called Wake Up Boo, so logic dictates...

Am I wrong in thinking this is supposed to be greatest hits? Rather than random obscure songs/tracks?

One person’s hit is another person’s obscure track

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:

Oh yes, I'm aware of that!

I thought it at least had to be a single in it's own right in order for it to be a 'hit'.

Even if the single mostly tanked.

But I googled an earlier list and one of the songs wasn't even a single, it was an album filler/studio-thing, not even the title of the album.

You know what I mean?

Just terminology pedantry.

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:10. Taylor swift

correct

Prop wrote:6 Lauryn Hill

correct

Prop wrote:5 Garbage

correct

Prop wrote:4 Whitney Houston

correct

incorrect

Iranu wrote:9 The Chordettes

correct

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:

I thought it at least had to be a single in it's own right in order for it to be a 'hit'.

But I googled an earlier list and one of the songs wasn't even a single, it was an album filler/studio-thing, not even the title of the album.

You know what I mean?

I believe you ;-)

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:

You know what I mean?

I believe you ;-)

You're doing that revenge thing by carrying over a conversation from a different thread into a different discussion again. I know, you do you, but I was just trying to get some rule clarification from prop, you don't need to be 'involved'.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:

not really? the sales chart is pretty objective. either the people bought it or they didn't.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:You're doing that revenge thing by carrying over a conversation from a different thread into a different discussion again. I know, you do you, but I was just trying to get some rule clarification from prop, you don't need to be 'involved'.

Yep I totally believe you were ;-)

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:not really? the sales chart is pretty objective. either the people bought it or they didn't.

Just because it was in the sales chart doesn’t mean a lot of people won’t find it obscure.

And a lot of greatest hits albums include non-singles.

A Beatles album track could be more of a hit than a one-hit wonder that hit 39 in the charts.