Post a reply

Re: The Greatest Hits Quiz!

Postby James Bentley

Juddernaut88 wrote:5. Camilla Cabello

That's the only one I know :chuckle:

Yeah, I think that's fair enough, I only approximated the syllables. This one to Juddernaut, I think.

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:1. The Lovin' Spoonful
3. Beautiful South
4. David Gray
7. Led Zeppelin
9. Mark Cohn

Five for five . Top work.

Postby HappyCamper

Juddernaut88 wrote:5. Camilla Cabello

That's the only one I know :chuckle:

It is. Also featuring Young Thug.

Postby HappyCamper

Prop wrote:8) Coldplay?

Not cold play. They do appear to have a song of that name but, to the best of my knowledge, I've never listened to it.

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:
Prop wrote:8) Coldplay?

Not cold play. They do appear to have a song of that name but, to the best of my knowledge, I've never listened to it.

You do right. Apart from Parachutes (which was ok-ish) they’re pretty crap.

Postby James Bentley

Amsterdam might be The Rakes or Art Brut, if I'm allowed two guesses at the same one. Just can't think of which one it was (if either).

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:Amsterdam might be The Rakes or Art Brut, if I'm allowed two guesses at the same one. Just can't think of which one it was (if either).

You can have two guess as they're both wrong. The rakes had a song called Strasbourg, you might be thinking of that. Art brut had one called Rusted Gun of Milan, a great song about erectile disfunction.

As a clue the song is not in English, though it has since been covered in English by a rock legend.

Postby James Bentley

I'm grasping for the remainder. For "Amsterdam", I'll have a go at Nico, she recorded loads of stuff not in English, but the others are eluding me just now.

Postby James Bentley

Of the others, the only one I definitely would say that I should know is "Considering A Move To Memphis". If I'm remembering the right song, it's mainly spoken-word. I know it's not They Might Be Giants, so I'll guess Barenaked Ladies. And that's all the guesses I'll be doing for this one, I think.

Postby LDS

Prop wrote:
LDS wrote:
LDS wrote:3 desiree?

No, that's wrong, I was thinking of "you've Got The Love" and it wasn't by desiree either, I've just forgotten her name.

You Got The Love was originally by The Source, featuring Candi Staton, late 80s. It’s been remixed and covered umpteen times. Florence and the Machine absolutely ruined it. I think Joss Stone did a cover. My favourite version is the New Voyager remix by The Source (the one with strings rather than arpeggio synth of the original mix).

The original mix was IIRC used in Layer Cake, the nightclub scene featuring a smoking (and smoking hot) Sienna Miller.

Candi Staton, that's the one. You didn't like Florence's version? I quite liked that one (but then I like most stuff by her).

Interestingly enough, I was even more confused than I even realised. In my head I had a picture of Rozalla, who did "Everybody's Free (To Fell Good)" while thinking about "You've Got The Love", trying to remember Rozalla's name while blurting out Desiree (which is actually spelt Des'ree).

I get the feeling I'm never going to win this quiz once :chuckle:

Postby Prop

LDS wrote:
Prop wrote:
LDS wrote:
LDS wrote:3 desiree?

No, that's wrong, I was thinking of "you've Got The Love" and it wasn't by desiree either, I've just forgotten her name.

You Got The Love was originally by The Source, featuring Candi Staton, late 80s. It’s been remixed and covered umpteen times. Florence and the Machine absolutely ruined it. I think Joss Stone did a cover. My favourite version is the New Voyager remix by The Source (the one with strings rather than arpeggio synth of the original mix).

The original mix was IIRC used in Layer Cake, the nightclub scene featuring a smoking (and smoking hot) Sienna Miller.

Candi Staton, that's the one. You didn't like Florence's version? I quite liked that one (but then I like most stuff by her).

Interestingly enough, I was even more confused than I even realised. In my head I had a picture of Rozalla, who did "Everybody's Free (To Fell Good)" while thinking about "You've Got The Love", trying to remember Rozalla's name while blurting out Desiree (which is actually spelt Des'ree).

I get the feeling I'm never going to win this quiz once :chuckle:

Well I was a big fan of the original, and the Florence version just seemed weak to me. Probably didn’t help that I caught a bit of one of her sets at a festival waiting for the main band, and frankly it was just a load of wailing and shouting. There’s a big gap between what you hear of her on the radio and what you hear live <laugh>

Postby Juddernaut88

This is the best version of You got the love, irritating this version is not on Spotify.

Postby Prop

Post the link up, Judders. Can’t see it on mobile.

Postby James Bentley

Yep. I have the original Candi Staton version (and the Source remix, which I thought was even better) and next to those, Florence's version is, as Prop says, weak. Candi Staton has a proper belting-out soul voice, Florence Welch...doesn't. I would go further but don't want to be unnecessarily unkind.

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvkHa7s1yGc

<ok> Chooooon!

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

How many versions have there been? I know there was the original 80's r%b version. Then there was a dance version in the early 90's which sampled a well known house track. Then a drum&bass version in the late 90's and a more pop version in the 00's before the Florence Welch cover.

Postby James Bentley

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:How many versions have there been? I know there was the original 80's r%b version. Then there was a dance version in the early 90's which sampled a well known house track. Then a drum&bass version in the late 90's and a more pop version in the 00's before the Florence Welch cover.

It's complicated. There have been a lot of remixes. We've had the main two already, but there are a lot more. For example, here's house pioneer Frankie Knuckles's version, which I think was the first remix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcDCJ5w3wo0

All the mixes take different bits from the original, whether that be instrumental or vocal, or (usually) both.

It's a song with a really interesting history.

Postby James Bentley

Dan-cat wrote:Kashmir - Kula Shaker

Nah, it's definitely Led Zep, I already got it.

However, I have amused myself by reading Kula Shaker's Wikipedia entry. Crispian Mills really was insufferably pretentious. They were around during the time I used to read Melody Maker and the NME every week and MM in particular used to deride them mercilessly. Which was completely fair; they were a terrible, terrible band. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Noel Gallagher was a fan.

Postby chengdufan

I saw Kula Shaker live in Reading. Can confirm they were rubbish.

Not the most disappointing band I saw live though. That was The Eels. I love their music, but they clearly had absolutely no interest in being at that gig. It was the definition of a damp squib.
Didn't help that they didn't play Flyswatter.

Postby HappyCamper

kula shaker had a few songs with titles derived from indian culture. i don't remember kashmir being one.

Postby HappyCamper

current state of play. with not much to play for.

1. summer in the city - the lovin' spoonful - james bentley
2. considering a move to memphis -
3. rotterdam (or anywhere) - the beautiful south - james bentley
4. babylon - david gray - james bentley
5. havana - camilla cabello - juddernaut88
6. piazza, new york catcher -
7. kashmir - led zeppelin - james bentley
8. amstedam -
9. walking in memphis - marc cohn - james bentley
10. santa monica -

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:I'm grasping for the remainder. For "Amsterdam", I'll have a go at Nico, she recorded loads of stuff not in English, but the others are eluding me just now.

not nico. the artist was a belgian, singing in french.

James Bentley wrote:Of the others, the only one I definitely would say that I should know is "Considering A Move To Memphis". If I'm remembering the right song, it's mainly spoken-word. I know it's not They Might Be Giants, so I'll guess Barenaked Ladies. And that's all the guesses I'll be doing for this one, I think.

not a bad guess. sounds like you're thinking of the right song, it does come from that sort of diy 80s new york scene with a similar sense of humour. but not tmbg or barenaked laides (who might actually be candien iirc)

if anyone cares to guess #6 is a twee indie band from glasgow. whereas #10 were an australian pop duo from the late 90s.