Post a reply

Re: The Greatest Hits Quiz!

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:4 cymande?

i think that is the correct spelling.

6 earth, wind & fire

Cymande is the correct answer and the correct spelling, but Judders already bagged that one.

Earth Wind & Fire is correct. <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:crusaders would be the obvious northern irish football club.
i'll guess for number 8.

(the) Crusaders is correct, but not track 8. Try another :-)

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerEd25 wrote:1. Dominoes
2. Dr. Jackall & Mr. Funk
3. Rigor Mortis - CAMEO (RegVarny)
4. the Message - CYMANDE (Juddernaut88)
5. If I Ever Lose This Heaven
6. Fantasy - EARTH WIND & FIRE (HappyCamper)
7. Across 110th Street - BOBBY WOMACK (McManusFan)
8. Walking in Rhythm
9. Flowers
10. Keep That Same Old Feeling

Postby SnookerEd25

Working on some clues which you'll be getting shorlty

Postby SnookerEd25

Track 1 was by an American jazz and rhythm & blues trumpeter and vocalist. A sideman for many other jazz musicians of his generation, he was one of the few hard bop musicians who successfully explored funk and soul while remaining a jazz artist. As a bandleader, he was an influence on the early career of Herbie Hancock and many others.

His surname, a slightly different spelling of a word indicating an avian creature, featured in many of his album titles such as '---- in Hand', '---- in flight' etc

Postby SnookerEd25

Track 2, a disco-funk track released in 1979 was credited to an American jazz alto saxophonist, composer, bandleader, and educator - one of the few musicians to be elected to the DownBeat Hall of Fame in the year of their death (2006)

Playing the distinctive saxophone melodies on the track, this was an unusual sidestep for him to contribute towards the funk/disco revolution of the late 1970s. Many people, at the time, in the clubs where it was played confused the female singers on the track with his name thinking he was actually female.

Postby SnookerEd25

Track 5 is by a still-active Scottish funk and R&B band that had a series of soul and disco hits between 1974 and 1980. They are best known for their million-selling instrumental track 'Pick Up the Pieces', and their albums 'AWB' and 'Cut the Cake'. They have influenced others, such as the Brand New Heavies, and been sampled by various musicians, including the Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, TLC, The Beatnuts, Too Short, Ice Cube, Eric B. & Rakim, Nas, A Tribe Called Quest, Christina Milian, and Arrested Development, making them the 15th most sampled act in history.

Postby SnookerEd25

Track 8 is by an American rhythm and blues and jazz-funk fusion group, formed in Washington, D.C., in 1973 and reformed in 2012 by Keith Killgo. Inspired by the artist who performed track 1, the latter half of their name contains his surname and the group featured many of his former students from Howard University. They have been a big influence on the hip-hop generation, with Tupac Shakur, Gang Starr, Da Lench Mob, and Full Force sampling their music.

Postby SnookerEd25

Track 9 is by are an American soul/R&B vocal group from Chicago, who started out in gospel music but transitioned into R&B and disco music, and were subsequently named by VH1 as one of the 18 most influential girl groups of all time. 'Flowers' was their biggest seeling single and also the title of their third album in 1976

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:1. Donald Bryd

McManusFan takes the lead! :D

Postby SnookerEd25

Just clocked the mis-spelling, but I assume you meant 'Byrd' not 'Bryd' :chuckle:

Postby McManusFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Just clocked the mis-spelling, but I assume you meant 'Byrd' not 'Bryd' :chuckle:

:emb: yep. Too eager to get that one out the door.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerEd25 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:1. Dominoes - DONALD BRYD (sic) (McManusFan)
2. Dr. Jackyll & Mr. Funk
3. Rigor Mortis - CAMEO (RegVarny)
4. the Message - CYMANDE (Juddernaut88)
5. If I Ever Lose This Heaven
6. Fantasy - EARTH WIND & FIRE (HappyCamper)
7. Across 110th Street - BOBBY WOMACK (McManusFan)
8. Walking in Rhythm
9. Flowers
10. Keep That Same Old Feeling

HappyCamper, Juddernaut88, RegVarny - 1 each

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:Did we get a clue for 10?

Well you should be able to work that one out from the Northern Irish football team clue…………..

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:Ah how could I forget about the NI football clue.

I'll have to take a punt:
Portadown?

<doh>

RTFT McMF :hmmm:

Postby McManusFan

Ah buck! Misread, and thought they'd been ruled out. I've been eating too much British beef lately.

10. Crusaders.

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:Ah buck! Misread, and thought they'd been ruled out. I've been eating too much British beef lately.

10. Crusaders.

Correct <ok>

Less beef, more fish, and you could win this! :shock:

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:2. Jackie McLean

Now you’re flying :plane:

Why, you’re like Jimmy White in practice :ok:

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:five must be the average white band.

It must, and is <ok>

I mean, how many Scottish funk groups are there? :chuckle:

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:nine - chicago gospel could be the staple singers?

No, the Staple Singers were great but predominantly male, no?

You’re looking for a similar, but female, combo…

Postby SnookerEd25

I stand corrected. Just looked them up and they were a mainly female outfit :emb:

Postby HappyCamper

pops was, but mavis and her sisters weren't. though i can't mind how many brothers there were.

Postby SnookerEd25

Just one brother apparently. Obviously Mavis was the predominant Staples, but for some reason I thought there were more bros. Oops.