Post a reply

Re: The Greatest Hits Quiz!

Postby Reg Varney

2. Velvet Undergound
8. Voice of the Beehive

Other ones I knew (Aphex Twin and Queen) have already been got.

Postby Prop

James Bentley wrote:I make it one each so far, with a caveat:

1. Windowlicker - Aphex Twin (Prop)
2. I'm Waiting For The Man
3. I Am A Clown
4. Juice - Lizzo (Juddernaut88)
5. Tightrope
6. Planet Earth
7. Seven Seas Of Rhye - Queen (Happycamper)
8. I Walk The Earth
9. Black & White Rag
10. Since Yesterday

I realise that the Stone Roses did have a song called "Tightrope", but it wasn't the one I was thinking of, which is by a female US soul-dance-hip-hop artist (but isn't Michelle Williams). Seems a bit unfair to disallow it though. What do we all think?

Looking into it, it was only an album track, never a single or ‘hit’, and also allowing it might open the door to a multiple choice situation in the future. So no, we’ll say it’s not valid. It’ll keep things orderly if we stay rigid with the rules <ok>

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Is 3 not Peter Ebdon?

That’s a great shout! Forgot all about that.

Postby Iranu

As far as Tightrope goes, if it’s not the song you’re thinking of it’s not the song you’re thinking of.

Unless it’s a cover my personal opinion is there shouldn’t be any qualms about discounting it. I’m sure it’s happened a few times already, in fact :chin:

Postby James Bentley

Iranu wrote:Is 3 not Peter Ebdon?

I would also have accepted David Cassidy, who did the original, but yes, Peter Ebdon was really the answer I was looking for! Good work!

There is another snooker-related one.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:As far as Tightrope goes, if it’s not the song you’re thinking of it’s not the song you’re thinking of.

Unless it’s a cover my personal opinion is there shouldn’t be any qualms about discounting it. I’m sure it’s happened a few times already, in fact :chin:

Agreed.

Postby Juddernaut88

Yeah I have no issues with it being disallowed, I think on one of my earlier quizzes I mentioned a song which was from multiple artists and only accepted the artist I was thinking of.

Postby James Bentley

Reg Varney wrote:2. Velvet Undergound
8. Voice of the Beehive

And both of these are correct.

New page recap:

2. I'm Waiting For The Man - Velvet Underground (Reg Varney)
3. I Am A Clown - Peter Ebdon (Iranu)
5. Tightrope
6. Planet Earth
8. I Walk The Earth - Voice of the Beehive (Reg Varney)
9. Black & White Rag
10. Since Yesterday

Postby Juddernaut88

since yesterday is annoying me, I feel that there is a chance I know it but my mind has gone blank.

Postby James Bentley

HappyCamper wrote:5 jenelle monae

Yep, Janelle Monae was indeed the one I was looking for.

Postby Reg Varney

Purely as it contains the word "Rag" in the title

9. Scott Joplin ???

Postby James Bentley

Iranu wrote:I should know Black & White Rag, I’m sure.

I'm not sure the artist was ever actually acknowledged on the credits of the TV show, so it's perhaps not as straightforward as I first thought.

Good guess from Reg Varney; Scott Joplin probably did do a version, but it's not the snooker-related one, which is the one I'm looking for.

Postby James Bentley

While we await the evening session, here's a few clues to the missing answers.

No. 6 ("Planet Earth") is an early single from a band who soon went on to become one of the most successful of the 1980s, both in the UK and the USA. They recorded the theme tune to a film that was one of the biggest hits of 1985.

No. 9 ("Black & White Rag"), as I'm sure you all know, was used as the theme tune to the BBC's "Pot Black". It was recorded by a female Trinidadian pianist who was enormously successful in the 1950s. She was the first black artist to have a no. 1 single in the UK, the first black artist to sell a million records in the UK and the first female pianist to achieve the highest grade for musicianship from the Royal Academy Of Music.

No. 10 ("Since Yesterday") is by a female duo from Glasgow who were very fond of polka dots. It is by far their most successful single, but one of the follow-ups, a cover of Dolly Parton's "Jolene", also gained a modicum of popularity.

Postby James Bentley

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Since yesterday is Strawberry Switchblade.

It certainly is. With two to go, anyone can still win this! One of the closest of these that I can remember.

Postby James Bentley

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:6 Duran Duran

Right again! With one answer to go, there are three players on 2 points and three players on 1 point:

2. I'm Waiting For The Man - Velvet Underground (Reg Varney)
3. I Am A Clown - Peter Ebdon (Iranu)
5. Tightrope - Janelle Monae (Happycamper)
6. Planet Earth - Duran Duran (Krazeeeyekilla)
8. I Walk The Earth - Voice of the Beehive (Reg Varney)
9. Black & White Rag
10. Since Yesterday - Strawberry Switchblade (Krazeeeyekilla)

Postby James Bentley

I'm really surprised that nobody has got no. 9. Having being co-opted into snooker history via the Pot Black connection, I thought that someone would know the answer. I'll give it another hour or so, or can just end it now, whichever would be least irritating.

Postby James Bentley

OK, let's get on with this. The performer of "Black & White Rag" was Winifred Atwell.

Three-way tie between Reg Varney, Krazeeeyekilla and Happycamper. So here's the tiebreak question; closest to the answer gets it.

According to the Official Charts Company, the biggest-selling single in the UK is Elton John's 1997 recording of "Candle In The Wind". How many copies did it sell?

Postby James Bentley

Two good guesses already, but with a clear winner so far. Just waiting for Reg Varney.

Postby Juddernaut88

James you may as well reveal the answer. Can't wait around for reg varney forever lol. It's been around 24 hours now. It's up to you though.

Postby Reg Varney

Apologies Juddernauter!

I'll go 2.2 million, edge slightly below Camper's guess.

Postby James Bentley

Reg Varney wrote:Apologies Juddernauter!

I'll go 2.2 million, edge slightly below Camper's guess.

Ooh, tactical! I like it.

The actual figure is 4,935,426 copies, so Krazeeeyekilla takes the victory - well played! Good round, that one, very competitive.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

1) Shot In The Dark
2) Addictive
3) Objects In The Review View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are
4) Pearly-Dewdrops Drops
5) Son Of A Gun
6) Haunted By The Ghost
7) Johnny & Mary
8) Street Life
9) Ante Up
10) How Do You Do It?