Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby mick745

An ageing star and former champion beats a young pretender and future champion in a tight match. It is the last time the ageing star made any impression on the championships at all.

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:2 players in there 40s meet in a big big final, one of them people had felt was past it but had a reasonable season, the other was still a force and maybe slight slight favourite.
The player that was deemed as past it would clinch victory.

Williams had won two rankers that season! Surely he was favourite?

Careless at this level.

Postby Juddernaut88

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:2 players in there 40s meet in a big big final, one of them people had felt was past it but had a reasonable season, the other was still a force and maybe slight slight favourite.

Careless at this level.

For me Higgins was favourite. First world final for Williams after 15 years, also he had been out of the top 16 the previous year and had some ups and downs in the past 6 years or so. Williams was coming back into form with those 2 ranking titles plus winning the 6 reds yes but for me I expected Higgins to win and in my opinion was slight favourite.

Postby mick745

Juddernaut88 wrote:
Iranu wrote:

Careless at this level.

For me Higgins was favourite. First world final for Williams after 15 years, also he had been out of the top 16 the previous year and had some ups and downs in the past 6 years or so. Williams was coming back into form with those 2 ranking titles plus winning the 6 reds yes but for me I expected Higgins to win and in my opinion was slight favourite.

I agree. Williams hadnt even qualified the year before. Higgins record at the crucible had been much better including being three frames short of the title the previous year.

Postby Juddernaut88

Need to do some thinking on your question Mick. I feel it's something I maybe should know but struggling at the moment lol

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:

Careless at this level.

I think most people had Higgins a slight, if not clear, favourite going into the final.

So glad Mark proved them all wrong though :D

Postby vodkadiet1

mick745 wrote:An ageing star and former champion beats a young pretender and future champion in a tight match. It is the last time the ageing star made any impression on the championships at all.

Reardon beats Parrott 13-12 '85 quarters.

Postby mick745

vodkadiet1 wrote:
mick745 wrote:An ageing star and former champion beats a young pretender and future champion in a tight match. It is the last time the ageing star made any impression on the championships at all.

Reardon beats Parrott 13-12 '85 quarters.

Correct.

Postby vodkadiet1

Former World Champion in his 40s prevails in tight quarter final over Crucible debutant in total contrast of styles.

Postby vodkadiet1

Juddernaut88 wrote:Stephen Hendry vs Ding Junhui in 2008?

Ding made his debut in 2007. It wasn't him anyway.

Postby Andre147

Knowing Vodka, should be some match from the 80s...

Didnt Kirk Stevens made his debut in 1980? He might have lost in the Quarters...

Postby vodkadiet1

Andre147 wrote:Knowing Vodka, should be some match from the 80s...

Didnt Kirk Stevens made his debut in 1980? He might have lost in the Quarters...

No.

Before the quarter final match in question the former World Champion when asked about The Crucible debutant described him as 'The Mad Potter of Seville!'

Postby Andre147

I think you need to give a more concrete clue on this one.

Postby vodkadiet1

The debutant had made the tournament high break of 140 in the first round and had beaten a former World Champion in the second round before losing to another former World Champion in the quarters.

Postby Iranu

Jimmy? I think he made a 140 high break at one point.

So, Jimmy-Spencer 1980? :shrug:

Postby vodkadiet1

Iranu wrote:Jimmy? I think he made a 140 high break at one point.

So, Jimmy-Spencer 1980? :shrug:

Jimmy's debut was in '81 when he lost in the first round to Steve Davis.

Postby Empire State Human

Peter Ebdon almost works. Made the QF on debut, beat Steve Davis en route to losing to Griffiths who would've been in his 40s. And apparently Ebdon used to be quick and attacking back then! But then he didn't get the high break, and Davis was round 1, not round 2.

Postby vodkadiet1

Empire State Human wrote:Peter Ebdon almost works. Made the QF on debut, beat Steve Davis en route to losing to Griffiths who would've been in his 40s. And apparently Ebdon used to be quick and attacking back then! But then he didn't get the high break, and Davis was round 1, not round 2.

Not a bad guess. But the contrast in styles was even more pronounced in the match I am referring to. And it was a few years earlier.

Postby vodkadiet1

badtemperedcyril wrote:Thorburn - James in '88

Correct!

Thorburn won 13-11.

Postby badtemperedcyril

The 2020 World Championship at the Crucible was of course, with the exception of the first and last two days, played with no crowd. However, there was one previous instance of a Crucible frame being played with no crowd. Who were the players involved?

Postby Iranu

Couldn’t be the famous Griffiths-Thorburn 3:51am finish could it? :chin: maybe everyone had to leave by then?

Postby Empire State Human

Around 200 people stayed to watch the end of Griffiths-Thorburn. The BBC crew left at 2am when the overtime rates finished, but several BBC people - Nick Hunter, David Vine, Clive Everton, etc. stayed in the audience as fans.

I don't think it's a late finish - there's always been someone to watch those. Probably something weird happening with a fire alarm, but I've no idea.

Postby vodkadiet1

I will have a guess. The final frame of Thorburn vs Charlton in 1989.