Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:It's actually hard thinking of matches to be honest so here's an easy one.
Crucible 1st round match which is known for the fastest ever 147 break.

1997, Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mick Price 1st round

Correct :hatoff:

Postby Andre147

Crucible late night match.

The winner, when asked in his press conference after the match if he cared for the people who left the arena and the very few who stayed, simply replied: "buck the crowd, I'm here to win!"

Postby Ck147

Andre147 wrote:Crucible late night match.

The winner, when asked in his press conference after the match if he cared for the people who left the arena and the very few who stayed, simply replied: "buck the crowd, I'm here to win!"

Was thinking a Selby match, but don’t think he would say that about the crowd. Dennis Taylor in ‘85?

Postby SnookerEd25

Cliff Thorburn v Eddie Charlton, 1989

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:Cliff Thorburn v Eddie Charlton, 1989

That is correct!

Postby SnookerEd25

Second and last visit to the Crucible for this stalwart of the game. He defeats a former World Champion before falling in the last 16. Despite another 25 years on the circuit, he never makes the hallowed turf again.

Identify that match! (his 1st rd. win)

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:Rod Lawler v John Parrott, 1996

Spot on :clap:

Postby badtemperedcyril

This multiple world champion, won his last title but lost his opening round match the following year, despite making what would be the highest break of the championship.

Identify the match

Postby SnookerEd25

Bit of a stab in the dark : John Spencer v Perrie Mans? ‘78?

Postby SnookerEd25

Goodness. Although I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of 70s & 80s stuff due to poring over the record books as a kid (whilst most of my contemporaries were reading kids fiction or talking to girls), it doesn’t quite extend to century breaks in particular matches. I just thought I’d start at the beginning of the Crucible era… jackpot!

:happy:

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ed is correct :)

Oops :emb:

And I had a match in mind but got lost in last night’s play.

Anyhow, it’ll come back to me I’m sure - bare with me <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

Sorry, I mean ‘bear’ with me. Probably best we all keep clothed - certainly before the watershed anyway <doh>

Postby SnookerEd25

A first round match between a former and future World Champ; for the victor it is his first taste of the Crucible, the vanquished will never play there again.

Identify that match <ok>

Postby badtemperedcyril

SnookerEd25 wrote:A first round match between a former and future World Champ; for the victor it is his first taste of the Crucible, the vanquished will never play there again.

Identify that match <ok>

Williams v Griffiths, 1997

Terry’s farewell match, he having already semi-retired after the 1996 championship.

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:A first round match between a former and future World Champ; for the victor it is his first taste of the Crucible, the vanquished will never play there again.

Identify that match <ok>

Williams v Griffiths, 1997

Terry’s farewell match, he having already semi-retired after the 1996 championship.

Spot on :hatoff:

Postby badtemperedcyril

badtemperedcyril wrote:A first round match in which the victor, who is now a commentator, had a high break of only 37!

Identify that match.

Thought a **bump** was due on this question

It occurred to me only because Mr Hendon, during a quiet, uneventful frame, was presumably browsing through his copy of the Almanac for some interesting stats with which to share with the viewers. He brought up that in years gone by, some Crucible matches had been won without the aid of a 50 break, rather condescendingly, I thought, towards the players of yesteryear. It then hit upon me that there was such an occurrence involving the very man with whom he was sharing commentary. It made me chuckle, hence this poser.

Postby Juddernaut88

Maybe reveal the answer and ask another question instead? I don't think anyone is getting this.