Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby SnookerEd25

Former World Champion is blown away by exciting newcomer at the Crucible. After the match, the victor declares “I just felt super-charged out there”

Postby Juddernaut88

Dennis Taylor vs Ronnie O'Sullivan in 1993 world championship 1st round?

Postby SnookerEd25

Micks got it :ok:

It was the young, flash, exciting, pony-tailed Ebdon

:clap:

Postby mick745

80s first round match at the Crucible where due to slow play only 6 frames of the 9 scheduled on a Wednesday afternoon were completed with a high break of 36 and only one other break made over 30.

Postby Juddernaut88

Errrrrm I have no idea :( I will make an assumption that Cliff Thornburn may have been one of the players?

Postby Juddernaut88

Ali Carter vs Ronnie O'Sullivan in the 2013 world championship 2nd round?
Not certain about the breaks but I think Ronnie did win that match 13-6 or 3-7

Postby badtemperedcyril

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ali Carter vs Ronnie O'Sullivan in the 2013 world championship 2nd round?
Not certain about the breaks but I think Ronnie did win that match 13-6 or 3-7

You have provided an incorrect answer---Please try again.

Postby badtemperedcyril

badtemperedcyril wrote:Former Crucible finalist. Lost this match 6-13, despite knocking in breaks of 85, 68, 50, 42, 40, 35, 33 and 31.

Clue, both players were winners of TC events

Postby SnookerEd25

I think Doug Mountjoy v Jimmy White, 1993 World Championship

Postby SnookerEd25

badtemperedcyril wrote:Good try but, no.

Earlier or later?

Postby SnookerEd25

1986, Mountjoy lost to Steve in a repeat of the ‘81 final? :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

By my reckoning, only three men fit the bill with the pre 1993 caveat : Perrie Mans, Doug Mountjoy and Jimmy White.

I’m not overly familiar with Mans’ scores at the Crucible off the top of my head, as most of his matches were before even my obsession kicked in properly.

I’ve exhausted Doug’s options as his only other 13-6 scoreline as far as I can remember was against Tony Knowles - who wasn’t a winner of the Worlds, Masters or UK.

Must be Jimmy then but I’m struggling to think of a match he lost that fits either.

I’ll keep ruminating :chin:

Postby chengdufan

Parrott 13-6 Thorburn 1990 World Championship

Postby badtemperedcyril

Good effort but no.

There are five matches it could be with a 13-6 score line. I’ll knock that down to four by adding they were both TC winners at the time of the match.

Postby chengdufan

badtemperedcyril wrote:Good effort but no.

There are five matches it could be with a 13-6 score line. I’ll knock that down to four by adding they were both TC winners at the time of the match.

TC event winners or TC winners?

Postby badtemperedcyril

chengdufan wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Good effort but no.

TC event winners or TC winners?

Any TC title. Not exclusively players who’ve lifted all three TC titles, necessarily.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Recap on the current question...

Former Crucible finalist. Lost this match 6-13, despite knocking in breaks of 85, 68, 50, 42, 40, 35, 33 and 31.

Name the match

Clues:
It was earlier than 1993
Both players had won at least one TC event

Disregarding the breaks, which are obviously unique to the match in question, there are four possible matches which meet the other criteria...

Postby badtemperedcyril

Recap on the current question...

Former Crucible finalist. Lost this match 6-13, despite knocking in breaks of 85, 68, 50, 42, 40, 35, 33 and 31.

Name the match

Clues:
It was earlier than 1993
Both players had won at least one TC event

Disregarding the breaks, which are obviously unique to the match in question, there are four possible matches which meet the other criteria...