Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Empire State Human

BTC's got it with 1990. Same tournament that James Wattana missed the final black for a 147 against Mark Bennett.

Yeah, Snooker Scene says it's against Cliff Wilson -- it has a mini-match report.

Is Cyril really suggesting that Phil Yates would make up this story and that he obtained his position at Snooker Scene on the basis of a lie?? Pull yourself together, Cyril. >-(

Postby SnookerEd25

Was it really necessary for SS to headline the other story ‘Women’s Figures’ ? :chin: :no:

Postby badtemperedcyril

Empire State Human wrote:Image
Is Cyril really suggesting that Phil Yates would make up this story and that he obtained his position at Snooker Scene on the basis of a lie?? Pull yourself together, Cyril. >-(

Perhaps he had a lapse in concentration and thought he was writing for The Sun?

Was Yates working for SS as early as 1990? Good gracious.

Ha, I've no idea if Yates wrote that particular article, but he was writing in SS at least as far back as 1989, usually stuff about the amateur scene.

But interesting point ... I'd have to assume SS is correct as they've tried to write up the 3 centuries as a match report, and quoted the mid-session interval score against Wilson. It would be a shock to find out it was actually Price's match against Knowles instead.

Postby badtemperedcyril

A final in which an Englishman properly bashed up a Scotsman to take the first prize of £70,000. Only three frames of the final session were required. The loser at least had the consolation of making the highest break of 142.

Postby gmg

Empire State Human wrote:Ha, I've no idea if Yates wrote that particular article, but he was writing in SS at least as far back as 1989, usually stuff about the amateur scene.

But interesting point ... I'd have to assume SS is correct as they've tried to write up the 3 centuries as a match report, and quoted the mid-session interval score against Wilson. It would be a shock to find out it was actually Price's match against Knowles instead.

Very interesting this as I've actually made reference to this match in my TK book. Can't recall where I obtained the info but may well have been Price's profile on Wiki, which just proves you should never trust them. I might well have double-checked on Cuetracker but Wiki could have based their info on Cuetracker! Frustratingly Wiki doesn't reference where they got their info from. I've looked up various newspaper archives but haven't managed to find any reference to this match and there's no clarification in Pot Black Magazine either so we can't be certain whose right and wrong. My guess, though, is that Snooker Scene is accurate, whilst Wiki, Cuetracker and by association my book are inaccurate i.e. that Price's trio of centuries were made against Wilson rather than Knowles :-(

Postby gmg

Ok, I've found a further tournament report in the 1991 Masters programme, which includes reference to Price's three centuries. It confirms that he did indeed make them against Wilson rather than Knowles. The reference to the match is as follows:

'...but the highlight of the round was the tie between Cliff Wilson and Mick Price. The veteran Welshman took the first frame only for Price, who had earlier beaten Tony Knowles, to take the next three, with clearances of 100, 137 and 139. "I don't know who the hell he is, but he's just hit three tons against me," was how Wilson reacted when questioned about how his match was going at the mid-session interval. However, Wilson recovered to edge through 5-4, but was on the receiving end of a similar scoreline in his quarter-final with David Roe'

Oh well, guess I'll just have to correct that if I ever get around to doing an updated e-book edition.

Postby gmg

badtemperedcyril wrote:A final in which an Englishman properly bashed up a Scotsman to take the first prize of £70,000. Only three frames of the final session were required. The loser at least had the consolation of making the highest break of 142.

1990 World Matchplay Jimmy v Hendry 18-9.

gmg wrote:Ok, I've found a further tournament report in the 1991 Masters programme, which includes reference to Price's three centuries. It confirms that he did indeed make them against Wilson rather than Knowles. The reference to the match is as follows:

'...but the highlight of the round was the tie between Cliff Wilson and Mick Price. The veteran Welshman took the first frame only for Price, who had earlier beaten Tony Knowles, to take the next three, with clearances of 100, 137 and 139. "I don't know who the hell he is, but he's just hit three tons against me," was how Wilson reacted when questioned about how his match was going at the mid-session interval. However, Wilson recovered to edge through 5-4, but was on the receiving end of a similar scoreline in his quarter-final with David Roe'

Oh well, guess I'll just have to correct that if I ever get around to doing an updated e-book edition.

Ah, thanks for confirming. Never in doubt. :hatoff:

Postby badtemperedcyril

gmg wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:A final in which an Englishman properly bashed up a Scotsman to take the first prize of £70,000. Only three frames of the final session were required. The loser at least had the consolation of making the highest break of 142.

1990 World Matchplay Jimmy v Hendry 18-9.

That’s the one!

Postby gmg

Am hopefully right in thinking that I select the next match in that case. If so then we're going niche to see who knows their snooker onions. This one involves two 80's icons on the only occasion that one beat the other in a multi-frame match. And he only managed to sneak victory in the decider after winning the last two frames, the penultimate frame of which was won after requiring four snookers! Good luck guys, you're gona need it!!

Postby gmg

gmg wrote:Am hopefully right in thinking that I select the next match in that case. If so then we're going niche to see who knows their snooker onions. This one involves two 80's icons on the only occasion that one beat the other in a multi-frame match. And he only managed to sneak victory in the decider after winning the last two frames, the penultimate frame of which was won after requiring four snookers! Good luck guys, you're gona need it!!

Seems like we need a few more clues on this one so here goes. The final score in this match was 3-2 in the first round of a 12-man invitational event and the winner went on to reach the final. But even if he had won this event then he likely wouldn't have had a chance to defend his title (as was the case with the player who beat him in the final).

Postby gmg

Empire State Human wrote:No idea, so wild guess time:

Meo beating Griffiths ... Hong Kong Masters 1987

Nope but deserving of another clue as Meo was actually the loser of the match in question!

Postby gmg

Empire State Human wrote:Knowles beat Meo, Kent Cup 1988

Nope, not aware of any such match. This wasn't one of Hearn's tournaments and Meo was the only player from Matchroom's three man stable at the time who played in it. Come on guys, Cuetracker can be your friend esp w/all these clues!

Postby chengdufan

Kirk 3-2 Meow
1984 New Zealand Masters

I'm not sure that using Cuetracker is allowed in these quizzes generally, but I stand to be corrected on that. Hence, these matches probably don't exist.

Werbeniuk v Meo
Irish Masters 1983 (which was a 12 man tournament, but I think they were best of 9s)

Postby gmg

chengdufan wrote:Kirk 3-2 Meow
1984 New Zealand Masters

Correct answer, well done Chengdufan. And surely the use of Cuetracker is within the rules, I certainly wouldn't have got my last answer right without it.

Postby chengdufan

gmg wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Kirk 3-2 Meow
1984 New Zealand Masters

Correct answer, well done Chengdufan. And surely the use of Cuetracker is within the rules, I certainly wouldn't have got my last answer right without it.

There needs to be some time given to see if anyone knows the answer. I would suggest that if the question has been open for more than two days, it's time for some online research.

I'll post a new one after work today

Postby chengdufan

In the first season to feature 20 ranking events, the first ranking event of the season was a maiden title for a player in his fifth final. His Scottish opponent was featuring in a final for the first time in 4 years.
Who played? Where? And when?

Postby Juddernaut88

I think the winner is Ryan Day in the Riga Masters in 2017. I can't remember who he played in the final though. I'll take a guess with Graeme Dott

Postby chengdufan

Juddernaut88 wrote:I think the winner is Ryan Day in the Riga Masters in 2017. I can't remember who he played in the final though. I'll take a guess with Graeme Dott

Close enough! Swap Dott for Mags and you're spot on.

Over to you

Postby Juddernaut88

Whitewash in a ranking event final between 2 young players that had both already won 1 ranking title in there early careers so far.