Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Empire State Human

Ok, can you identify the match from the loser's post-match interview?

'It was absolute garbage. The match was awful all the way through. The only time I felt like myself was when I gave it the fist pump after going 11-10 up'.

Postby Juddernaut88

Neil Robertson vs Marco Fu 2017 World championship 2nd round. Marco Fu won 13-11 I believe.

Postby Juddernaut88

2 world class players involved in an invitational event final. The world number 1 raced into a 8-2 lead. His opponent who was young had already won a fair few titles in his career so far levelled it at 8-8. The world number 1 responded by making a maximum break in the deciding frame.

Postby SnookerEd25

Hendry 9-8 O’Sullivan, Liverpool Victoria Charity Challenge. Year? Not entirely sure, but I’ll try 97? :chin:

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:Hendry 9-8 O’Sullivan, Liverpool Victoria Charity Challenge. Year? Not entirely sure, but I’ll try 97? :chin:

Correct :hatoff:

Postby SnookerEd25

This is a match from Barry Hearn’s early 90s extravaganza which was never repeated (but still gets fond mentions on the Snooker Scene Podcast from time to time)

The early days of the re-interpretation of the miss-rule, and ‘three misses and you lose the frame’ has recently been introduced.

Player A, a former World Champion (FWC) was leading his opponent 3-2 when, snookered on all reds, he four times attempted a two cushion escape to a group of reds, conceding 21 in penalty points. After the third attempt the referee, Alan Chamberlain, warned FWC that he risked disqualification if he offended again. He was as good as his word and FWC farcically forfeited the frame without a ball being potted. His opponent eventually took the match 9-8 on a tie-break shootout.

Identify that match! :chin:

Postby Iranu

Steve Davis vs someone, 1990 World Games?

Can’t remember when the WG was but it sounds like that tournament and I seem to remember Davis falling foul of the new rule soon after it was implemented.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:Steve Davis vs someone, 1990 World Games?

Can’t remember when the WG was but it sounds like that tournament and I seem to remember Davis falling foul of the new rule soon after it was implemented.

No, Davis was an early casualty but it wasn’t this match. Davis wasn’t snookered at all, and just bungked the roll-up three times.

Postby SnookerEd25

Empire State Human wrote:Drago v Griffiths, Mita World Singles, 1991, if it's the match I'm thinking of.

It is, you are, and you have accepted the poisoned chalice of setting the next question. <ok>

Player A became the third player to make 3 consecutive breaks in a professional match, but still lost 5-4 to one of snooker's most popular characters in the twilight of his career in this qualifying event.

Postby SnookerEd25

Somebody like Doug Mountjoy beating somebody like Ken Doherty in something like 1992? :chin:

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:Somebody like Doug Mountjoy beating somebody like Ken Doherty in something like 1992? :chin:

Remember to answer the never ending quiz and missing vowels quiz as well please :)

Postby Iranu

Juddernaut88 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Somebody like Doug Mountjoy beating somebody like Ken Doherty in something like 1992? :chin:

Remember to answer the never ending quiz and missing vowels quiz as well please :)

What if he doesn’t want to? <laugh>

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:

What if he doesn’t want to? <laugh>

I don’t want to <ok>

The person who made the 3 consecutive centuries is best known for being on the receiving end of perhaps snooker's most famous break.
The 'popular character' was a compatriot of Mountjoy but older than him.
The tournament was a qualifying event, but it had a winner in the form of Alan McManus.

Postby SnookerEd25

I’ll try Mick Price, against Terry Griffiths, in the Billiard Room with a snooker cue.

Probably the Benson & Hedges Championship (de facto qualifier for the Masters) in the early 90s :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

Ah no, can’t be Griff, he would have still been qualifying automatically then. How about good old Cliff Wilson?

A near-perfect answer. Mick Price made breaks of 139, 137, and 100 in leading Wilson 3-1 at the interval, but Wilson rallied and took the match in the deciding frame.

B&H Championship is correct - probably the only qualifying tournament with an outright 'winner'.

Just the year remains to be identified ...

Postby badtemperedcyril

Cuetracker doesn’t have this match - but it does have Price as making those three centuries against Tony Knowles on his way to winning 5-4. Complete Book of World Snooker does show both matches. Not checked Snooker Scene (they’re all boxed up at the mo).