Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Was this one of those matchroom tournaments? I'll say Jimmy White vs Hendry 1993.

One year out. Neither of the players are correct.

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerEd25 wrote:Another defunct tournament; this one was staged on seven occasions but only it’s initial outing was granted full Ranking status.

The final saw a first major title for a fine ambassador of the sport, who defeated the reigning World Champion.

A reminder of the question

Postby orky

reigning world champ in 1992 would either be Parrott or Hendry, depending on when the tournament in question took place. Good question, I am struggling. Fine ambassador for the sport winning their first pro title in 1992? Someone like Ebdon, McManus, Doherty, Wattana spring to mind...

Postby SnookerEd25

orky wrote:reigning world champ in 1992 would either be Parrott or Hendry, depending on when the tournament in question took place. Good question, I am struggling. Fine ambassador for the sport winning their first pro title in 1992? Someone like Ebdon, McManus, Doherty, Wattana spring to mind...

The name is amongst that lot... you’re nearly there...

Postby SnookerEd25

I should also point out that the tournament was played in the early months of 1992, so the reigning WC was coming to the end of his reign (and would never rule again...)

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:I'm going to guess it was Parrott vs Wattana in the Asian Masters?

I’ll give you the points; it was Wattana beating Parrott 9-5 in the Strachan Open.

:clap:

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Wahooo thank you for giving me that :happy:

Had to; we could’ve been here all week, and I have plans for Saturday...:hyper:

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Question will come soon, just got to think of some matches.

...and serve customers? :chin:

Postby Juddernaut88

Young upcoming talent in a big final, his first time playing in this tournament meets a legend world class player who is a good 20+ years older than him. The young player is a few frames behind but eventually wins the match 10-8.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Young upcoming talent in a big final, his first time playing in this tournament meets a legend world class player who is a good 20+ years older than him. The young player is a few frames behind but eventually wins the match 10-8.

YAN BINGTAO beats thingy in this year’s Masters final

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Young upcoming talent in a big final, his first time playing in this tournament meets a legend world class player who is a good 20+ years older than him. The young player is a few frames behind but eventually wins the match 10-8.

YAN BINGTAO beats thingy in this year’s Masters final

Who is thingy? :| but I will give you the benefit of the doubt as you let me off earlier :-)
Yan Bingtao defeated John Higgins to clinch the Masters and it certainly was a famous win :D

Postby SnookerEd25

Thank you. I did know his name really :chuckle: but it was all about YAN <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

Veteran campaigner wins his first round match at the Crucible for the fourteenth year in a row (a record that stands for another 22 years before being beaten); his opponent, a debutant, led 9-5 at one stage but couldn't close out the win.

Postby Juddernaut88

I will take a guess at 1996 world championship 1st round between Terry Griffiths and Jamie Burnett?

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:I will take a guess at 1996 world championship 1st round between Terry Griffiths and Jamie Burnett?

You got it. <ok>

Wrapping up the win like Tony Drago with a bus to catch, there :chuckle:

Postby Juddernaut88

Crucible final between a legend player and a player that was coming of age.
The legend player won the final comfortably to make a little bit of history.

Postby Juddernaut88

mick745 wrote:Davis v Parrott 1989.

Good effort but not the match I'm thinking of I'm afraid.

Postby SnookerEd25

It's 1999, King Hendry the Seventh, surely? :chin:

(beating MJW)

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:It's 1999, King Hendry the Seventh, surely? :chin:

(beating MJW)

Yes this is the one :hatoff: bit of history with the 7th world title.