Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

World championship semi final between a former world champion and a player in his early 20s that had already won some ranking titles in his early career.

Underdog would have a big lead but would unfortunately lose 17-16

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:World championship semi final between a former world champion and a player in his early 20s that had already won some ranking titles in his early career.

Ken Doherty v Paul Hunter 2003 fits the description...

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:World championship semi final between a former world champion and a player in his early 20s that had already won some ranking titles in his early career.

Ken Doherty v Paul Hunter 2003 fits the description...

That is correct :hatoff:
It was an excellent match. I remember being so gutted at the time though.
I would be even more gutted the following day when Arsenal surprisingly lost 3-2 to Leeds and it was confirmed Man United were the champions :sad:

Postby SnookerEd25

A future World finalist debuts at the Crucible; he wins the first frame with a break of 66, but doesn't win another and loses 1-10 to a former World Champ.

Postby Juddernaut88

Could be Barry Hawkins vs Ken Doherty in 2006. Barry lost 10-1 but I don't know what his break was.

Postby SnookerEd25

His break was 66; it is the correct answer <ok>

Postby Juddernaut88

Dennis Taylor says this towards the end of this epic final "I'm delighted for _____ ______ but I could cry for ____ ______

Postby Juddernaut88

Yep Stephen Hendry and Jimmy White is the match but just require the year.

Postby Andre147

badtemperedcyril wrote:Farewell to a famous venue... the match was won with a magical clearance

2006 Masters Final?

Postby Andre147

It was because of this particular match that a major change in the rulebook was made, after the controversy it created.

Postby Andre147

Raphael98 wrote:Erm... John Higgins vs Ronnie O'Sullivan, UK Championship 2009?

Correct! The rule had to be changed so a player in theory couldn't gain an unfair advantage by playing a deliberate foul.

Your turn

Postby Raphael98

Cheers! Sorry for the delay, but here is the question:

In the qualifiers, 2 players face each other in the same tournament where they would end up playing in a semi-final.

Postby Andre147

How is this possible? Surely one of them was eliminated by the other in the qualifiers, both couldn't reach the Semis?

Are you sure it's not round robin or something?

Postby Raphael98

Actually, I did not write this question properly, because what I was attempting to explain is that the match in question happened a few years before a semi-final in the same tournament contested by the same 2 players mentioned. Hopefully I made myself clear, and I apologise for the poorly written question.

Postby Andre147

I haven't got a clue...

Wild guess... Ding v McManus in 2016?

Postby SnookerEd25

Maybe Mark Selby and Shaun Murphy?

Semi-final in 2007, good chance they might have played each other in the quallies prior to 2005…

:chin:

Postby Raphael98

An even closer attempt, but it's not yet the right answer. I will accept just the 2 players who played it, to quicken the pace of this quiz :)

Postby Andre147

A clue is needed here I think... too hard and too many matches to choose from.