Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Andre147

badtemperedcyril wrote:Terry Griffiths v Alex Higgins 79 QF

Correct mate!

I've watched some of that on Youtube, both players really going at it, even for today's standard that would be considered a good match.

Your turn

Postby badtemperedcyril

Andre147 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Terry Griffiths v Alex Higgins 79 QF

Correct mate!

I've watched some of that on Youtube, both players really going at it, even for today's standard that would be considered a good match.

Your turn
Its a shame more of it isn’t available. Unfortunately, shortly after the match the BBC accidentally wiped the recording of the deciding frame in which Griffiths made a 107 break.

Postby Andre147

badtemperedcyril wrote:This match didn’t happen… The only time that’s happened.

This is very vague.. a lot of matches didnt happen because players withdrew..

You need to be more specific.

Postby badtemperedcyril

Andre147 wrote:

This is very vague.. a lot of matches didnt happen because players withdrew..

You need to be more specific.

Ok then… if was more specific it would give it away

Postby SnookerEd25

Cliff Wilson v Ray Reardon, World (professional) Final

Postby Juddernaut88

Anthony Hamilton vs Kyren Wilson 1st round 2020 World championship?

Postby Juddernaut88

But final between 2 legends of the game that are still competing. Player A led 9-5. Player B came back to win 10-9.

Postby Juddernaut88

Iranu wrote:2009 UK final?

Correct match and year. Just need the players.

Postby Iranu

This match featured the biggest break in professional play in the post-Crucible era.

Postby Andre147

Juddernaut88 wrote:Iranu is correct :)

Actually he wasnt.

The Higgins v MJW Final was in 2010, not 2009.

Postby Andre147

Iranu wrote:This match featured the biggest break in professional play in the post-Crucible era.

Jamie Burnett v Leo Fernandez, 2004 UK Champs qualifiers.

Postby Juddernaut88

Opps my bad I always get 2009 and 2010 UK championship mixed up for some reason but never mind the damage has been done lol.

Postby Iranu

Andre147 wrote:
Iranu wrote:This match featured the biggest break in professional play in the post-Crucible era.

Jamie Burnett v Leo Fernandez, 2004 UK Champs qualifiers.

Correct

Postby Andre147

A player who had already been world champion and was leading this World Final, until he decided to start taking on reckless long pot attempts which eventually led to his opponent to gain confidence, make a comeback and become world champion.

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:A player who had already been world champion and was leading this World Final, until he decided to start taking on reckless long pot attempts which eventually led to his opponent to gain confidence, make a comeback and become world champion.

Cliff Thorburn beats Alex Higgins, 1980; one of the earliest matches I recall wataching live.

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:A player who had already been world champion and was leading this World Final, until he decided to start taking on reckless long pot attempts which eventually led to his opponent to gain confidence, make a comeback and become world champion.

Cliff Thorburn beats Alex Higgins, 1980; one of the earliest matches I recall wataching live.

Correct Ed, your turn

Postby SnookerEd25

An exciting new talent announces his arrival on the World stage by defeating a former champion at the Crucible; yet it is the vanquished who goes on to greater things, whilst his conqueror quickly fades from the scene.

IDENTIFY THAT MATCH! :chin:

Postby Juddernaut88

Michael White vs Mark Williams in the 2013 world Championship 1st round? Michael White defeated Mark Williams. But it was of course Mark Williams that has still gone on to achieve better things and Michael White has recently fallen off the tour :sad:

Postby SnookerEd25

That’s the one. Spot on.

White bt. Williams 10-6 on his way to the quarter-finals, but has never won a match at the Crucible since; Williams, who looked finished at the time, of course went on to lift the title in 2018 and is back in contention for the major prizes now.