Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:Popular crowd favourite becomes the first from his country to get to a Ranking Event final, beating the defending champion in the semi to get there, but is annihilated by the reigning World Champion on the last day.

Ian Mcculoch vs Ronnie O'Sullivan Grand Prix final 2004? It was in Preston and Ronnie was the World champion.

Postby SnookerEd25

Not McCulloch; a few Englanders had been to Rannking Finals before...

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:I clearly misread that :(

TVCATL :no:

Postby SnookerEd25

Empire State Human wrote:Hendry v Drago ... British Open? er ... 98???

You’re pretty much there ESH; Hendry 9-1 Drago in the final of the International Open 1997

:clap: :clap:

Postby Empire State Human

A former world champion plays a promising youngster in a tense deciding frame at the Crucible. It turns out to be youngster's best finish in the World Championship. Two audience members faint/require attention as the match reaches its closing stages.

Postby Juddernaut88

Was this Terry Griffiths vs Jamie Burnett 1st round in 1996 I think? Griffiths won 10-9

Postby Empire State Human

More recent still. I'll add that the promising star should've won 13-11 but for bungke-ing a roll up behind a baulk colour. The winner went on to be world champion that year.

Postby Juddernaut88

Could it be 2010 Neil Robertson vs Martin Gould? Think Robbo trailed 11-5 or something and ended up winning 13-12 but Gould probably would have been around 27-28 so don't think that counts as promising star lol.

Postby Juddernaut88

John Higgins won it in 2009 so it's just a question of who did he play in 2nd round in 2009, I'm going to guess Andrew Higginson as I think he was sort of an upcoming star around that time and he was playing this morning so that was the first name I thought of lol.

Postby SnookerEd25

Two giants of the game contest the final of the last ever staging of this particular championship; a classic, it goes down to the deciding frame with the cagey veteran edging out the then young pretender...

Postby Juddernaut88

Davis vs Hendry Classic final in 1992? Although Davis would have been around 34 so not sure if that would be considered veteran lol

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Davis vs Hendry Classic final in 1992? Although Davis would have been around 34 so not sure if that would be considered veteran lol

Well, he’d been a pro’ for 14 years, so I think it counts :chuckle:

Well done Judders; Davis ended a run of four consecutive ranking Final losses to hendry with a 9-8 victory here - and well done for spotting the clue in the question <ok>

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Postby Juddernaut88

Crucible semi final. Both players shared their birthday during one of the days of the semi final.
The player who was favourite won the match.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Crucible semi final. Both players shared their birthday during one of the days of the semi final.

Ha ha, heard this on the snooker scene podcast recently.

Would that be considered cheating if I post the answer?

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Crucible semi final. Both players shared their birthday during one of the days of the semi final.

Ha ha, heard this on the snooker scene podcast recently.

Would that be considered cheating if I post the answer?

Nope not at all. Go ahead :)

Postby SnookerEd25

Jimmy White and Steve James, 1991

Postby SnookerEd25

Another defunct tournament; this one was staged on seven occasions but only it’s initial outing was granted full Ranking status.

The final saw a first major title for a fine ambassador of the sport, who defeated the reigning World Champion.

Postby Juddernaut88

Was this one of those matchroom tournaments? I'll say Jimmy White vs Hendry 1993.