Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Iranu

World Championship match. One of the biggest upsets ever as a lowly qualifier beats the world number 2 and one of the tournament favourites in the first round.

Postby Vallomas

Iranu wrote:World Championship match. One of the biggest upsets ever as a lowly qualifier beats the world number 2 and one of the tournament favourites in the first round.

2014, Michael Wasley 10-9 Ding Junhui.

Postby Vallomas

We are in the quarter finals of a major of the 2010s.

The player who lost had made a maximum break during his previous match.

The player who won was the defending champion and levelled a special record during that match.

Postby Juddernaut88

Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Marco Fu 2015 Masters Quarter final?

Marco Fu made a maximum in the previous round. Ronnie was defending champion and he broke Hendrys records for most century breaks.

Postby Vallomas

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Marco Fu 2015 Masters Quarter final?

Marco Fu made a maximum in the previous round. Ronnie was defending champion and he broke Hendrys records for most century breaks.

This is correct. In fact, O'Sullivan made his 776th century against Fu (a 6-1 win) and he broke Hendry's record. I thought that he just levelled it at this one (but it had happened against Ricky Walden one round earlier).

Postby Juddernaut88

Major final. Player A was the strong favourite and defending champion of this tournament and defending world champion too. Player B was the underdog.
The underdog led 7-0 and then 8-2. He had several chances to win the match but he just couldn't hold his nerve.
The favourite came back to win 9-8 and it was one of his many famous comebacks.

Postby Andre147

This legend of the game would have one last hurrah, no less than playing in front of his home crowd against what would become another legend in the future.

Postby SnookerEd25

Two potentials I can think of : 1989 B&H Irish Masters Final : Alex Higgins beats Stephen Hendry I’ll try first

Postby Andre147

SnookerEd25 wrote:Two potentials I can think of : 1989 B&H Irish Masters Final : Alex Higgins beats Stephen Hendry I’ll try first

That's correct.

Out of curiosity, what was the other match you were thinking of?

Postby SnookerEd25

Andre147 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Two potentials I can think of : 1989 B&H Irish Masters Final : Alex Higgins beats Stephen Hendry I’ll try first

That's correct.

Out of curiosity, what was the other match you were thinking of?

1997 Masters Final, Davis beats O’Sullivan, though ROS was more established then than Hendry in 89.

Question tomorrow <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

The game’s dominant player is annihilated by an ultra-veteran, who goes on to contest his only Ranking Final.

Identify that match!

Postby mick745

Is it Rex Williams 5-1 Steve Davis 1986 grand prix?
Rex Williams was the ultra veteran who contested his only ranking final in that tournament.

Postby SnookerEd25

mick745 wrote:Is it Rex Williams 5-1 Steve Davis 1986 grand prix?
Rex Williams was the ultra veteran who contested his only ranking final in that tournament.

Yes spot on <ok>

He had quite a tournament, including 5-1 wins over both Alex Higgins & Davis, then edging out young whippersnapper Neal Foulds 9-8 in the semis (when Ranking semis were played over a proper length). Couldn’t quite overcome Jimmy in the final though; did lead 4-2 early on but went down 6-10 ultimately. Shame.

Over to you Mick :clap:

Postby mick745

A right thumping dished out to this young player in a ranking semi-final by his older and more experienced opponent who had an contrasting playing style.

Postby mick745

The older more experienced opponent was already a multiple world finalist.

The youngster hadnt yet won a ranking event but it wouldnt take him much longer.

Postby Vallomas

The older has to be Jimmy White, but the younger? I don't know. And I did search to Jimmy's ranking semis and finals.

Postby Juddernaut88

Can we have some more clues please? maybe like which decade and which tournament etc

Postby mick745

1980s, the victor reached his last ever ranking final with victory in this match. The loser would have lots of success in the future.

Postby mick745

Vallomas wrote:I think it's 1987 International Open. Cliff Thorburn 9-1 Stephen Hendry.

Yes it is.

Postby Vallomas

Ranking final of the 2010s.

The loser had been there by beating convincingly in his semi a top player and good friend.

The winner returned in the top 16, after a difficult period for him.