Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

World championship match in the early 2000s between defending world champion and a player that was in the top 16 at the time but has never won a ranking title.
It was a battle between the slowest player in the game against the fastest player in the game at the time.
The slowest player would win convincingly 13-5.

Postby Andre147

Must be between Ebdon and Drago, surely? 2003 World Championship?

Postby Juddernaut88

Andre147 wrote:Must be between Ebdon and Drago, surely? 2003 World Championship?

Yep that's correct :hatoff:
Over to you.

Postby Andre147

World Championship first round match, ending on final black. The player who won would become multiple world champion, the player who lost, former world champion, would retire soon after.

Postby Vallomas

Andre147 wrote:World Championship first round match, ending on final black. The player who won would become multiple world champion, the player who lost, former world champion, would retire soon after.

1997, Mark Williams v Terry Griffiths.

Postby Andre147

Vallomas wrote:
Andre147 wrote:World Championship first round match, ending on final black. The player who won would become multiple world champion, the player who lost, former world champion, would retire soon after.

1997, Mark Williams v Terry Griffiths.

That's correct! Thought it would be harder lol

Your turn

Postby Vallomas

Masters 1st round match in the 2010s.

The eventual winner hadn't won a Masters match before this, despite playing several times in the tournament. The man who lost was a former Masters champion and would lose two more times to the same guy at this event, in the years to come.

Postby Vallomas

I thought it would be an easy one, let's give a little more help. The winner reached the final of the Masters the second time he beat the same guy.

Postby Empire State Human

A world championship match. Player A, yet to win the world title, had beaten the tournament favourite in the previous round, and then himself became the favourite, but ran into an inspired qualifier who went on to reach the final.

Postby Juddernaut88

Could it be 2011 world championship? Ding beating Selby, Selby may have been the tournament favourite? Ding then lost to Judd Trump in the semi finals who was a qualifier at the time I believe.

Postby Vallomas

I think that you mean the 2010 World Championship semi-final, with Graeme Dott beating Mark Selby (who had beaten the tournament favourite Ronnie O'Sullivan at the quarter-final).

That's the one. Dott out-potted and out-scored Selby, who for once seemed to fail repeatedly on pressure pots.

Selby had been installed as bookies' favourite after beating O'Sullivan 13-11 in the QF. The other two semi-finalists, Robertson and Carter would also have been first time winners.

Postby Iranu

How often does the World semis consist entirely of potential first timers?

I think the only year is 1979 - Dennis Taylor, Virgo, Charlton & Griffiths.

Dott had won it before, of course, but was an underdog in 2010 having come through as a qualifier. Makes me think that year was Carter's best chance.

Postby Juddernaut88

Maybe someone else should post a question. Vallomas has disappeared.

Postby Vallomas

Well, I forgot about this. Let's give an easy one.

World Championship Qualifiers of the late 2010s.

We are in the decisive round. The player who won, had been at the Crucible the previous year and had caused a big upset. The player who lost, hadn't made his Crucible debut until then, but would play there for more than one time the years that followed.

The player who lost also had a disappointing experience during the match we have to identify. The same bad experience had happened to him again a few months earlier.
Last edited by Vallomas on 01 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Vallomas

OK, let's reveal that the "disappointing experience" for the player who lost, had to do with a maximum break that he hadn't make in a professional match until then.

Postby Iranu

Thepchaiya vs someone?

Didn’t Thep miss the final black on a 147 twice in a few months?

Postby Vallomas

Iranu wrote:Thepchaiya vs someone?

Didn’t Thep miss the final black on a 147 twice in a few months?

Yep. I think that it's quite easy to find the year and the opponent.

Postby Juddernaut88

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh vs Anthony McGill 2016 World championship qualifier?

Postby Vallomas

Juddernaut88 wrote:Thepchaiya Un-Nooh vs Anthony McGill 2016 World championship qualifier?

Correct. :spot on: