Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

I don't think anyone is getting this. Not many of us know much about pre crucible matches. Maybe reveal the answer and post another?

Postby SnookerEd25

Was it Bob Chaperon beating Alex Higgins in the 1990 British Open Final? :chin:

Postby Juddernaut88

2003 UK championship final between Stephen Hendry and Matthew Stevens? Matthew was a massive pain in the neck for Stephen Hendry!

Postby Empire State Human

That's the one!

Much is made of the fact Stevens has won only 1 ranking title from 8 finals, but I notice he's won 6 out of 7 of his non-ranking finals (or 7 out of 8 if you include Pot Black).

Postby Andre147

Empire State Human wrote:That's the one!

Much is made of the fact Stevens has won only 1 ranking title from 8 finals, but I notice he's won 6 out of 7 of his non-ranking finals (or 7 out of 8 if you include Pot Black).

In one of his non-ranking event titles, the Scottish Masters, he beat Higgins, Ronnie and MJW in back to back matches. :hatoff:

Postby Juddernaut88

Big final and this was the first in this tournament that featured 2 non British players. The player that was slight favourite would win the final.

Postby Juddernaut88

Good effort but not the match or tournament I am thinking of I'm afraid.

Postby Andre147

The big favourite had beaten Steve Davis the round before, but the old veteran beat him in this huge final.

Postby SnookerEd25

This quiz is finally motoring - making up for lost time <ok>

A Crucible match which went to the deciding frame. The frame had to played in an unscheduled 3rd session. The frame was one of the longest in the World Championship; it began with a re-rack, but the decisive shot was a successful double on the last red, from which the winner went on to clinch the match.

Postby Juddernaut88

Ding Junhui vs Stuart Bingham 1st round world championship 2021? Not certain how long the deciding frame was though.

Andre is correct! Wilson won the final frame which lasted 79 minutes and 31 seconds, the longest at the Crucible, but not the longest in the World Championship.

Postby Andre147

Easy one...

Only second ever whitewash in a full 2 session ranking event final.