Post a reply

Re: Identify That Match!

Postby Juddernaut88

Empire State Human wrote:hunter v o'sullivan 2004 masters

Yes that is correct :D cracking match it was.

Postby Andre147

I think you got it wrong mate... Hunter's Plan B was definately the 2001 Masters Final, that's why it was my first guess.

Postby Juddernaut88

It was also 2004. I remember Hunter mentioning it in the interview after the match.

Postby Empire State Human

Yeah, Plan B was used on multiple occasions. I seem to remember Hazel asking Dennis in the commentary box whether he'd ever tried Plan B himself between intervals, and he went as red as a beetroot. Clive Everton, who was with him, answered, 'If that worked, then everyone would be at it'.

The first match at the Crucible to feature back-to-back centuries by the same player, and the match also concluded with a century by his opponent.

Postby mick745

Juddernaut88 wrote:It was also 2004. I remember Hunter mentioning it in the interview after the match.

2004 post match interview

Parrott: I think you like this place don't you?
Hunter: i think that Plan B has a lot to answer for

Parrott: You were also 5-nil down to Mark Williams a couple of years ago
Hunter: Lynsey's very good at what she does!

https://youtu.be/JyWlC1pTrq4

Not '78. The winner's century break came in the deciding frame, and remained the only century in made in a deciding frame until 1996 at the Crucible.

Andre is correct. Higgins made consecutive centuries in the 2nd and 3rd frames, Griffiths made a couple himself, and the match was generally regarded as of exceptional standard at the time.

Postby Andre147

Empire State Human wrote:Andre is correct. Higgins made consecutive centuries in the 2nd and 3rd frames, Griffiths made a couple himself, and the match was generally regarded as of exceptional standard at the time.

Even by today's standards, that match would be considered a good one.

And Griffiths, if I'm not mistaken, has made a century break in a Crucible deciding frame and that's only happened like 4 or 5 times in Crucible history.

Postby Andre147

After a certain legend of the game won this match against another legend himself, the loser said to him right after the match ended:
"Enjoy that win, you runt!"

Postby SnookerEd25

Could it be when Parrott met Stevie, in the 1st round of the (I think) 2007 WC? :chin:

Davis speaking in jest of course...

Postby chengdufan

Surely has to be Alex Higgins. Can't imagine any our other legends being that vulgar.

Postby Andre147

It was indeed Alex Higgins, but against whom and which match?

Postby Andre147

badtemperedcyril wrote:Alex Higgins v Stephen Hendry
1991 UK

Yep!

Hendry mentioned this incident in one of his Instagram videos at the Worlds.

Your turn

Postby badtemperedcyril

Andre147 wrote:
badtemperedcyril wrote:Alex Higgins v Stephen Hendry
1991 UK

Yep!

Hendry mentioned this incident in one of his Instagram videos at the Worlds.

Your turn

I think Alex's version was that he congratulated Stephen with the words: "Well done. You were a bit lucky"...

Hendry translated as: "Up yer bottom, you runt"

Postby badtemperedcyril

White wins his first round versus whom, after taking the first seven frames...

At his post match press conference he announced, "It looks like Hendry next and Davis in the final. Then I can go home with the trophy and prize money."

Postby Juddernaut88

Player initially wasn't eligible to play in this event but due to one player withdrawing he gets his chance and ends up winning the tournament, he also gets some extra bonuses for winning the final.

Postby SnookerEd25

Juddernaut88 wrote:Player initially wasn't eligible to play in this event but due to one player withdrawing he gets his chance and ends up winning the tournament, he also gets some extra bonuses for winning the final.

That’s Maguire, v. Allen. Last year; GallantRabbit’s favourite match.

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Player initially wasn't eligible to play in this event but due to one player withdrawing he gets his chance and ends up winning the tournament, he also gets some extra bonuses for winning the final.

That’s Maguire, v. Allen. Last year; GallantRabbit’s favourite match.

Correct :hatoff: