Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby Holden Chinaski

LDS wrote:I'll combine the two and go for Alex Higgins then.

Higgins is Magnum P.I.'s ever present friend & Alex Lifeson is one of the founding members of the band Rush.

(I notice another, lesser, founding member called John as well, so might as well say John Higgins as well).

Alex Higgins is correct! :hatoff:

Postby chengdufan

Nice one LDS <ok>

Postby chengdufan

Ryan Day... Sounds like a rainy day
Ricky Walden... Sounds like walled in, which if you were, it would make for a summer of boredom

Postby LDS

Excellent guesses there Chen, but slightly too much extrapolation and over-thinking, but on the exact right lines for working out how to combine the words to make the right name. Although the answer of the two clues is just one word from the name, not both names.

Postby chengdufan

Yuan Sijun

Boredom? - Sigh...
Summer - June

Postby chengdufan

Balls! Thought I had it with that one :chuckle:

Postby chengdufan

Ding Junhui?
June for Summer
Ennui for boredom

Postby chengdufan

Um Tokyo

Postby chengdufan

chengdufan wrote:Um Tokyo

Um is not English

Postby LDS

Is it Igor Figueiredo?

Edo is the old name for Tokyo. No idea about the rest. Google translate for Um from Russian is Intellect & from Chinese is at.

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:Is it Igor Figueiredo?

Edo is the old name for Tokyo. No idea about the rest. Google translate for Um from Russian is Intellect & from Chinese is at.

It is Igor!
Um is Portuguese for 'one', which of course is a figure.
Igor speaks Portuguese...

Not sure about the Chinese translation there. It is impossible for Um to be a word in Chinese. 'at' is 'zai' in Chinese

Postby chengdufan

Has this thread run its course?

Postby Juddernaut88

chengdufan wrote:Has this thread run its course?

I very rarely attempt to answer on this thread. I'm really bad at it and majority of the time I haven't got a clue but it's still a good thread for plenty of others.

Postby LDS

If it has then there is no more fitting way to end it than with me winning again. <ok>

I think it's safe to say that at this point, had there been a trophy, then I should probably have been allowed to keep it forever.

If I might just take a moment to thank everyone involved.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Chen for dreaming up this wonderful quiz that has allowed me to shine in the best way possible. Without him and this quiz then I'd have been just another sad loser posting random guesses on random quizzes every day.

I'd also like to thank my lovely wife of 14 years, Brunhilda, for all the patience she has shown me over the years, she's been like a rock to my HMS Unsinkable. Even when I've been away on tour for up to two years at a time, I've always known that she'd be there for me should I ever have needed her.

Inevitably, I must also thank my 13 children, for whom whose support I couldn't have continued, who's happy smiling faces make returning from tour a pure joy to behold. So hi there and thank-you to:

Tracy
Alfie
Gonzalez
Giuseppe
Gok
Alevtina
Adaiba
Muhammed
Ah-lam
Michelangelo
Sanjib
Robert
and John

Of course I cannot forget my manager, the right honourable Sir Arthur Cut, or Arty as I tend to call him, for getting me this gig in the first place. Many times I could have quit over the years and without his continued efforts to keep me busy doing such things as aftershave adverts and playboy articles my mind surely would have wandered years ago.

And I mustn't forget Fido. Here's woofing at you kid! Hahahaha

And my four gerbils, Tinky, Winky, Pimply and Gimply. They know what they've done for me.

It goes without saying that I also thank all of those brave souls who have put themselves forward to be my competition throughout this gruelling ordeal. Someone has to lose and I know how hard it can be for you to take on that mantel, day-in and day-out. You are both appreciated and not forgotten.

And to Betty, the manager of the local public house, for all those evenings where I'd run out of money by 10pm and was kindly let off that odd 20 or 30p when low on cash at the end of the night.

I also cannot forget Gupta, our loyal and dogged postman for whom fido would not be the dog he is today without.

Clarkes the shoemakers deserves a mention as well as without their continued sponsorship I wouldn't be able to stand before you today.

Likewise and with equal praise I shall pass onto sildenafil & co.

And to David Attenborough, who's documentaries never ceased to amaze me.

My aunt Jane, who taught me everything there is to know about Pike fishing in the Thames.

_____ ___ __ _____ _____ __

______ _ _ ______ _ _ ___ _

________ _____ _____ __ ___

--------------

--------------

--------------

Postby McManusFan

I don't think so. It's a good slow burner of a quiz compared to the others. It's just the post crucible quietness at the minute.

Postby Juddernaut88

Could do with alf being back. He enjoyed this quiz.

Postby AlfGit

Juddernaut88 wrote:Could do with alf being back. He enjoyed this quiz.

Thanks! I sure did. No good at it though. I just finished catching up on the thread and I realised that I wouldn't have got any of those that I missed. :?
Last edited by AlfGit on 16 May 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:Next clue then:

Awarding egotist

Tony Knowles?

Tony Awards
Knowles = Know-alls = egotists

Postby Juddernaut88

Welcome back Alf :) hope you're doing well.

Postby AlfGit

Juddernaut88 wrote:Welcome back Alf :) hope you're doing well.

Thank you! I ended up falling way behind the WC scheduling, but I managed to watch it all without seeing any real spoilers, so I am happy for that. Now I am desperate to play, but there is no sign of the restrictions being lifted in Canada just yet.

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:Welcome back Alf!

You'll be delighted to know that your run of not getting them has ended as you are spot-on in every regard!

Over to you. :happy:

Thank you!

Well, that is a shock! (Although the profile picture helped :-) )

Here's mine. Should be a 1/5 on the 'git' scale. No hints should be needed, and Google will probably not help.

Dearest Dearest