Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:Final stab of the night, Joe Perry?

The Midnight Cowboy was called Joe and Perry is made from pears.

Excellent reasoning, but sadly no.

Postby AlfGit

#1. Cowboy alludes to a thing, not a person.

Postby chengdufan

Tom Ford

Postby chengdufan

Mainly due to Ford Mustang. I haven't really got a good link between twins and Tom, though there are plenty of Tom's associated with the Minnesota Twins baseball team, which I believe isn't too far from where you live

Postby chengdufan

I would never have got the Lei Peifan clues. In fact, I'm still not sure I get it :chuckle:

Postby AlfGit

chengdufan wrote:Mainly due to Ford Mustang. I haven't really got a good link between twins and Tom, though there are plenty of Tom's associated with the Minnesota Twins baseball team, which I believe isn't too far from where you live

Sorry, not Tom Ford either.

Minnesota is a 3-hour flight from me, but I try not to rely on any pop culture that Brits would not be familiar with in my clues, and my knowledge of any sport other than snooker/pool is practically non-existent. I certainly do not follow baseball, basketball, NFL, CFL, hockey etc, that are popular around here.

Postby AlfGit

chengdufan wrote:I would never have got the Lei Peifan clues. In fact, I'm still not sure I get it :chuckle:

I had never heard of him myself. As I think I have mentioned elsewhere, I only get to see the BBC and ITV events so if a player hasn't featured in one of those, I probably haven't heard of him.

When LDS said it was a qualifier, I just went to the qualifiers list, started at the bottom because that is where the obscure names are, and he was the third one up. I didn't bother looking further. I read it as 'Lee Pie-fan', even though I knew what a lei is and how it is pronounced. It might be a bit cheeky to assume that Stephen Lee is a pie fan, but it was necessary to distinguish him from people like Bill Werbeniuk and Shaun Murphy. Desperate Dan is well known for his love of cow pies as LDS said, so to me the solution made perfect sense.

Postby chengdufan

Lee pie fan, I see. This blows my mind. It's the second time on the forum today that I have seen something from a whole new perspective. It's brilliant.

A good reminder as I go into work that some other people will be seeing things entirely differently from me.
Always listen to everyone before making decisions which affect them. Don't assume that something you see as obviously beneficial and positive will be seen that way by everyone.

Postby AlfGit

Another hint before I go to bed:

#2. 'Twins' is figurative. The 'twins' in question were 'born' 133 days apart.

Postby AlfGit

#3. The clues will lead you to the player, not to his name. He is a well-known ranking-event winner.

Postby Iranu

Anthony Hamilton?

Cowboys’ arch nemeses are often the sheriff, and Linda Hamilton had a twin.

Postby AlfGit

Not The Sheriff.

Remember, cowboy alludes to a thing, not a person, and 'twins' is figurative.

Postby AlfGit

I realise that having clues to the player himself rather than his name means that you need to know something about him, but I am quite certain that all of the regulars in this thread have more than sufficient knowledge to solve it.

Postby Prop

Didn’t Desperate Dan eat cowboy pie? Apologies if that’s already been covered, and I’m not entirely sure where I’m going with it, either.

Postby Prop

So, cowboy 3.1415......

<laugh>

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:So, cowboy 3.1415......

<laugh>

No, sorry. It was not the well-known ranking-event winner Cowboy π <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:Mark Allen is the Pistol?

Good guess, but no.

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:Alex Higgins used to wear a cowboy hat?

I thought it was a Fedora, but you are starting to get the right approach.
Last edited by AlfGit on 12 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Cowboys wear chaps.

Bob Chaperone

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Cowboys wear chaps.

Bob Chaperone

Again, getting warm with the thinking, but not correct this time.

Postby AlfGit

As a huge Alex Higgins fan, I am unlikely to choose the player that beat him in his last ever major final. <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:John Higgins was nicknamed The Kid for a while?

I thought John Higgins would be one of the first guesses. John for John Wayne, and Higgins as a 'twin' with Alex. It is not correct though, sorry.

Postby AlfGit

Perhaps time for some rapid-fire hints.

#4. At least one of the clues involves a homophone.

Postby AlfGit

#5. For the 'twins', there is no need to look outside of snooker.

Postby AlfGit

#6. The clue I originally intended turned out to be an offensive term, so I changed one word. If you can figure out what the original word might have been, it will be a massive help.