Jackson Page?

Jacks on page.

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby Iranu

Oh dayum

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Oh dayum

I’m not too confident. Apparently your guess was closest, but LDS mentioned Jacks. So, we’ll see…

Postby LDS

One thing this clue did bring to my attention was:

Wikipedia wrote:Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire is a 1987 British musical film starring Phil Daniels and Alun Armstrong. The film was directed by Alan Clarke and written by Trevor Preston. The BFI has described it as "undoubtedly the only vampire snooker musical in cinema history".[3] The film is loosely based on the rivalry between the snooker players Ray Reardon and Jimmy White[4][5][6]

Why have I never heard of this before?

5.6/10 from 288 ratings on IMDB :chuckle:

I bet Snookerfan's seen it.

Postby chengdufan

I think we're at the point where I give you the clue that gives it away.

What does a poker player say at the end of the night before their final play?

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:Mark Allen? Mark All-in?

<ok>

Postby Prop

Ffs <laugh>

Postby James Bentley

LDS wrote:One thing this clue did bring to my attention was:

Wikipedia wrote:Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire is a 1987 British musical film starring Phil Daniels and Alun Armstrong. The film was directed by Alan Clarke and written by Trevor Preston. The BFI has described it as "undoubtedly the only vampire snooker musical in cinema history".[3] The film is loosely based on the rivalry between the snooker players Ray Reardon and Jimmy White[4][5][6]

Why have I never heard of this before?

5.6/10 from 288 ratings on IMDB :chuckle:

I bet Snookerfan's seen it.

I've seen it! I think Channel 4 had something to do with the funding, so they were able to show it on terrestrial TV quite soon after it was made. I enjoyed it, it's quite strange, but also very entertaining. Obviously helps if you have an interest in snooker, it's not really one for a general audience.

Postby LDS

The most surprising thing about it was that it suggested Ray Reardon and Jimmy White ever had a rivalry, I wonder if they meant Alex Higgins?

Anyway, next clue:

Dozen Dees

Postby Prop

If it was 16 dees, and there was a player nicknamed Batman…

Postby SnookerEd25

LDS wrote:The most surprising thing about it was that it suggested Ray Reardon and Jimmy White ever had a rivalry, I wonder if they meant Alex Higgins?

Anyway, next clue:

Dozen Dees

Actually, they did have quite a rivalry, Reardon the established multiple World Champion, and Jimmy the flashy young upstart.

They met 9 times in the early eighties, with 2 finals and six quarter- finals included in the tally. Jimmy led the H2H 5-4 (courtesy of a 6-4 win in the Professional Snooker League - forerunner of today’s much loved Championship League, only over a proper distance); Reardon lead the H2H frame score 55-54.

Reardon won the 2 major finals they contested, the full record ( minus the PSL result) reads :

1981 Scottish Masters QF : White W 5-4
1981 UK Championship QF : White W 9-8
1982 Professional Player’s Tournament Final : Reardon W 10-6
1982 UK Championship QF : Reardon W 9-8
1983 Masters QF : Reardon W 5-2
1983 International Masters Final : Reardon W 9-6
1983 UK Championship QF : White W 9-4
1984 Masters QF : White W 5-3

These matches were big at the time, as the Old Master v the Young Pretender sense, and would have been very fresh in the mind when ‘Billy the Kid & the Green Baize Vampire’ was made (released 1987). That certainly did have an intriguing rivalry going during snooker’s boom period.

They

Postby LDS

SnookerEd25 wrote:
LDS wrote:The most surprising thing about it was that it suggested Ray Reardon and Jimmy White ever had a rivalry, I wonder if they meant Alex Higgins?

Anyway, next clue:

Dozen Dees

Actually, they did have quite a rivalry, Reardon the established multiple World Champion, and Jimmy the flashy young upstart.

They met 9 times in the early eighties, with 2 finals and six quarter- finals included in the tally.

Stats

These matches were big at the time, as the Old Master v the Young Pretender sense, and would have been very fresh in the mind when ‘Billy the Kid & the Green Baize Vampire’ was made (released 1987). That certainly did have an intriguing rivalry going during snooker’s boom period.

Oh for sure, they met a few crucial times, but then all the top players tend to meet at crucial times, a rivalry tends to indicate a popularly known rivalry with a bit of needle, which would be Reardon v Higgins or Higgins v Taylor, or White v Davis etc.

But, yeah, I know what you mean.

Postby Prop

LDS wrote:
Prop wrote:If it was 16 dees, and there was a player nicknamed Batman…

Are you being wude again? :chuckle:

da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da.. BATMAN!!!

Postby LDS

Prop wrote:
LDS wrote:
Prop wrote:If it was 16 dees, and there was a player nicknamed Batman…

Are you being wude again? :chuckle:

da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da.. BATMAN!!!

Ah! Of course!. <laugh>

Postby LDS

For this one we are looking for only the first name of the player. Though there are two players that I know of with this first name, only one is quite famous. Either answer will be acceptable though. This clue might suit old people and I'm sad that snookered25 hasn't popped in to grab his first point.

Postby McManusFan

Bit of a punt:
Dennis Taylor? Dirty Dozen -> Dirty Den -> Dennis Taylor

Postby AlfGit

Chris Wakelin/Small?

Dozen Dees = Twelve Days of Christmas

Postby chengdufan

Alan (partridge (in a pear tree)) McManus?

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:No, It's nothing to do with Christmas, just the bolded bit was the clue excluding the Chris part.

You tease!

That's no help at all!

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:
LDS wrote:No, It's nothing to do with Christmas, just the bolded bit was the clue excluding the Chris part.

You tease!

That's no help at all!

Send a pm to snookered25 and ask him what 12d might refer to...

Postby chengdufan

I want it to be Cliff Thorburn/Wilson.

Old players with rare first names who SnookerEd25 is particularly fond of.

The Twelve D/Dozen Dees link completely eludes me though.

Postby LDS

Not Cliff. Don't worry, someone will get it I'm sure. If not then I have another clue which should make it gettable by slightly younger folks with as much ease.

Postby James Bentley

Bob Chaperon

12d is one shilling, or a bob.