Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:John Parrott?

Correct!

A “John” is a slang term for a prostitute’s client. Erised refers to a mirror; to mirror someone is to copy them, which is what parrots do.

:D

Postby Prop

Iranu earns an extra point for use of the word ‘seedy’. Well done, and as you were.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:Iranu earns an extra point for use of the word ‘seedy’. Well done, and as you were.

<laugh>

LDS had better include this in his next tally.

Postby chengdufan

Poker Notation

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
Prop wrote:Iranu earns an extra point for use of the word ‘seedy’. Well done, and as you were.

<laugh>

I have no idea what the reference is :shrug:

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:

<laugh>

LDS wrote:Scores update as we circle round 100 pages:

(Previous position in brackets)

No.1 - Prop (4) - 43 wins
2. LDS (1) - 29
2, Chen (2) - 29
4. Iranu (5) - 27
4. Alf (6) - 27
6. McFan (3) - 16
7. Judd (7) - 4
8. Holden (new) - 2
8. Bentley (new) - 2
10. HC (8) - 1
10. Mantrk (8) - 1

Since the last scores update, prop has won the most with 31 new wins, closely followed by Alf with 22 and then Iranu with 16 and Chen with 15, LDS just 10 and McFan slowing to only 3.

Nice to see some new players and hopefully they'll get a few more over the next few dozen pages.

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:

<laugh>

LDS wrote:Scores update as we circle round 100 pages:

(Previous position in brackets)

No.1 - Prop (4) - 43 wins
2. LDS (1) - 29
2, Chen (2) - 29
4. Iranu (5) - 27
4. Alf (6) - 27
6. McFan (3) - 16
7. Judd (7) - 4
8. Holden (new) - 2
8. Bentley (new) - 2
10. HC (8) - 1
10. Mantrk (8) - 1

Since the last scores update, prop has won the most with 31 new wins, closely followed by Alf with 22 and then Iranu with 16 and Chen with 15, LDS just 10 and McFan slowing to only 3.

Nice to see some new players and hopefully they'll get a few more over the next few dozen pages.

Seedy as in seedings?

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:Seedy as in seedings?

No, Prop joked that I get an extra point for using seedy, so I joked that you’d better include it on my next points total.

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:

No, Prop joked that I get an extra point for using seedy, so I joked that you’d better include it on my next points total.

I saw that, I just have no idea why the use of the word seedy got some excitement, it must be some kind of reference (aka: in-joke) I'm not aware of?

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I saw that, I just have no idea why the use of the word seedy got some excitement, it must be some kind of reference (aka: in-joke) I'm not aware of?

I’m not sure why it requires analysis.

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:
LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:

I’m not sure why it requires analysis.

Me either, hence why I'm confused about the request for extra points?

And yes, I'm aware that the request probably wasn't serious, I'm mostly just asking for the joke to be explained because I'm feeling left out, etc.

Postby Prop

Security isn’t a dirty word, Blackadder. Crevice is a dirty word, but security isn’t.

It’s something along those lines, LDS. There’s no in-joke you’re missing out on. Just my moment of self-amusement :-)

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:A “John” is a slang term for a prostitute’s client. Erised refers to a mirror; to mirror someone is to copy them, which is what parrots do.

:D

I shall never think of John Parrot in the same way again. <laugh>

Postby chengdufan

@LDS Parrots are birds, birds eat seeds, so the clue worked on multiple levels.

A reminder of the current clue:

Poker Notation

Not Phil Studd, we're looking for a current professional

Postby Iranu

Mark King?

A notation could be a marking, and Kings are playing cards?

Postby chengdufan

Very good answer, but not who I had in mind

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:@LDS Parrots are birds, birds eat seeds, so the clue worked on multiple levels.

Yeah, it does. I don't think that was the gag though <laugh>

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:Jamie Jones? JJ is a pair of jacks.

Nice idea, but my answer relates specifically to poker

Postby LDS

Graeme Dott's nickname can be The Pocket Rocket & pocket rockets is a slang term in snooker for 2 aces, mostly used in Texas Hold'em as your dealt hand.

Postby chengdufan

Might be my imagination but it seems Dott gets guessed on pretty much every clue :chuckle:

Not correct on this occasion, I'm afraid.

Postby LDS

Yeah he does! & it's funny you say that because as I was writing that answer I wondered if I should also tally up which players get most guesses and clues <laugh>

Anyway, next guess:

Tony Knowles, as he's nicknamed Stud.

Postby chengdufan

chengdufan wrote:...we're looking for a current professional

Postby LDS

Yeah, I wasn't sure if Knowels would count, as he did pop up competing for a tournament recently.

Just getting the obvious ones out the way as per tradition & there's quite a lot of poker ones in this category.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:Yeah he does! & it's funny you say that because as I was writing that answer I wondered if I should also tally up which players get most guesses and clues <laugh>

Anyway, next guess:

Tony Knowles, as he's nicknamed Stud.

What about Rory McLeod as he’s a “Caribbean stud”? :chin:

Postby McManusFan

Gao Yang?

The river is a term in poker, so maybe Gao Yang(tze)?

Or Robin Hull after the river Hull.

Postby chengdufan

No correct answers yet.

Iranu closest so far with the first guess.

Postby McManusFan

Last punt for a bit:

Mark Gray, I think Mark can be a term in poker, and Gray Code is a type of notation to do with binary.