Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby chengdufan

That's all right, I went to sleep!

Postby chengdufan

Your Chocolate

Michael White

Michael Aspel hosted this is your life. White chocolate...

Seems too simple to be correct based on the initial post, but hey ho.

I've been looking at Wilsons as Tony Wilson was in Hot Chocolate, but haven't found a link to Your.

Postby chengdufan

Even less likely than Michael White:

Jamie Jones

He's the most well-known player to have been born on Valentine's Day.

Postby AlfGit

Sorry, not Michael White or Jamie Jones.

'Your' is important. It's possible, but I don't think it's likely that the player will be found from 'Chocolate' alone.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:Is it Ronnie?

Chocolate > bar > inn

Your inn > urine > Ronnie’s comments about Crawley Leisure centre smelling of urine.

Of course, that could also point to Alex Higgins, who was once fined for relieving himself in a plant pot at a tournament.

Very true <laugh>

Postby Prop

I’ve got a feeling there could be a different language involved. Votre, ihre, tu, din etc.

But I’m scratching my head for a way to link that to ‘chocolate’.

Postby Prop

Hold on…

Your > yore (the olden days, or the past) > past > passed

Passed chocolate… :chin:

Who do we know in snooker that was ‘passed chocolate’, other than Mark Williams being fed Revels by the Crucible crowd on the way to his 2018 win?!

Please be Willo. It must be <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Hold on…

Your > yore (the olden days, or the past) > past > passed

Passed chocolate… :chin:

Who do we know in snooker that was ‘passed chocolate’, other than Mark Williams being fed Revels by the Crucible crowd on the way to his 2018 win?!

Please be Willo. It must be <laugh>

That is another really good try, but not who I have in mind. Sorry. :-)

Postby AlfGit

Here is a clue. Neither word is a homophone itself, but they lead to two other words that are homophonic with the player's name.

Postby Prop

I thought I had it :roll:

Postby AlfGit

I think my other birthday buddy would know the answer.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:I thought I had it :roll:

It would have been a good answer. I like clues that require some trivia knowledge like that because it's not something you can just find the answer to on the ranking list. I would have disguised the word chocolate though. It would be quite easy to come up with a clue for revellers, for example. I miss Revels. :-(

Postby Prop

Yeah I’m struggling with this one. There are only so many words that mean ‘your’. Nothing is jumping out at me.

Postby AlfGit

It's not necessarily a synonym for your. Try a different angle.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:It's not necessarily a synonym for your. Try a different angle.

If it’s not a synonym, and it’s not a homophone, that surely means ‘your’ and ‘chocolate’ must be solved as one entity?

And then the next stage of extrapolation begins <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

I am surprised nobody has guessed at Joe Johnson or Paul Hunter. Not that it is either of them, or any other Yorkie come to that. :-)

Postby Prop

I’ll revisit this in an hour or so with a fresh mind.

Postby AlfGit

The birthday buddy comment is a strong clue, if you can solve it.

Postby Prop

The only things I’ve come up with regarding ‘your chocolate’ are some lines from films. Only a few of these are enough of a well-known film to consider relevant in this kind of brainteaser.

One is a line in Harry Potter. So the Wizard of Wishaw, John Higgins.

Another is Free Willy. Naturally, Willie Thorne.

The other is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. There was another Willy involved in that <laugh> Also Veruca salt. Salty Selby, perhaps? And of course the Oompa Loompas, obviously representing snooker’s resident Napoleon, Ali Carter.

You’ve succeeded in giving me that headache!

Postby Prop

YOUR birthday buddy? :chin:

Postby AlfGit

It is not John Higgins, Willie Thorne, Mark Selby or Ali Carter.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:YOUR birthday buddy? :chin:

That is a strong clue, if you can solve it.

Postby Prop

Just a second. Alf, you said when you set this that it was in some way tailored for me to find difficult. Me in particular.

So… when you say ‘your’, does it in some way relate to my username? Or am I still clutching at straws?! rofl

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:You’ve succeeded in giving me that headache!

<laugh>

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Just a second. Alf, you said when you set this that it was in some way tailored for me to find difficult. Me in particular.

So… when you say ‘your’, does it in some way relate to my username? Or am I still clutching at straws?! rofl

Yes, it has nothing to do with you personally. I meant that I deliberately set a difficult one just to give you a bit of a challenge.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:Just a second. Alf, you said when you set this that it was in some way tailored for me to find difficult. Me in particular.

Yes, it has nothing to do with you personally. I meant that I deliberately set a difficult one just to give you a bit of a challenge.

Well it’s bloody worked!

Postby AlfGit

Here is another clue then.

The word you are looking for from 'chocolate' is a word that mostly pertains to one particular brand of chocolate, but it is not a brand name. The word is no longer even exclusive to that brand. Other brands have started to adopt it.

Postby Prop

Buttons? Is that trademarked :chin:

Postby AlfGit

Not buttons, but it is the right idea. Have you solved the birthday clue?

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:Not buttons, but it is the right idea. Have you solved the birthday clue?

No, all I got was the idea of a twin. But I wasn’t confident where to go with it.