Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby AlfGit

Cowboy Twins leads to the player, not his name. To clarify, it would not matter if the player had an entirely different name, the clue would be the same.

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Billy Joe Castle?

Billy The Kid plus The Twins, which are two castles in A Song of Ice and Fire?

Not Billy Joe Castle.

Don't forget, it is a ranking-event winner, and for 'Twins', there is no need to look outside of snooker.

Postby AlfGit

Not Ding Junhui or Neil Robertson, although Neil might know something about it. ;-)

Postby AlfGit

If we cross-reference the 67 or so players that have won a ranking-event with the list of entrants to the 2021 World Championships, then eliminate the incorrect guesses so far, there are not many people left. <laugh>

Postby Iranu

Cowboys star in westerns, Western Liang is/was a kingdom in China.

Liang Wenbo.

Postby LDS

AlfGit wrote:If we cross-reference the 67 or so players that have won a ranking-event with the list of entrants to the 2021 World Championships, then eliminate the incorrect guesses so far, there are not many people left. <laugh>

Oh, I thought you said multiple ranking titles. I haven't been looking at the one-time winners.

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Cowboys star in westerns, Western Liang is/was a kingdom in China.

Liang Wenbo.

Wow! This clue might be a little dastardly, but not that dastardly! <laugh>

It is honestly quite a bit simpler. Perhaps concentrate on the alternative clue of Shoestring Misfortune.

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:Mark Selby?

That's another one off the list. :-)

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:Jimmy Robertson?

And another. Sorry.

Postby Iranu

Alfie Burden

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Alfie Burden

Not Alfie, no.

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:Thepchaiya Un-Nooh?

Was Thepchaiya the only one left on the list? <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

:win: :win: :win:

Thepchaiya Un-Nooh is correct. But why?

Postby LDS

AlfGit wrote:

Was Thepchaiya the only one left on the list? <laugh>

Lol, no. Un just sounds like it could be unfortunate in some way. :shrug:

Postby Iranu

Uh-nooh = oh no?

rofl

Postby AlfGit

OK, here is my reasoning:

Cowboy > Cowboy Tie > Thai
Twins > The two times he missed the final black for a 147, 133 days apart. He then fouled on the black (in frustration) both times. The first occasion was during the 2015 UK against Neil Robertson.
Shoestring > Shoestring Tie = Cowboy Tie. If I had sald Bolo it would have made it too easy.
Misfortune > You might say 'Oh no' if you suffered a misfortune.

Iranu! Mate! You walked right past the answer with 'Siamese'. It was the missing word, and Siam is now Thailand (sort of).
Last edited by AlfGit on 13 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

AlfGit wrote:Iranu! Mate! You walked right past the answer with Siamese. It was the missing word and Siam is now Thailand (sort of).

:shrug: I’m happy with not getting it rofl Quite a few steps to get through.

A very good clue having seen the reasoning though <ok> I think it’s fairly dastardly despite what you said earlier <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

I really thought someone would get Tie/Thai and then get Thephchaiya without having to solve Twins.

Postby LDS

Uh-huh. Erm, ok. Well that was that. I need a rest for a bit. Next clue at an undisclosed future point in time <laugh>

[nope, never heard of a cowboy tie, & I googled cowboy things quite thoroughly <laugh> ]

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:Uh-huh. Erm, ok. Well that was that. I need a rest for a bit. Next clue at an undisclosed future point in time <laugh>

[nope, never heard of a cowboy tie, & I googled cowboy things quite thoroughly <laugh> ]

So did I! I’m a bit surprised I didn’t think of a bolo tie but I still don’t think I’d have been led in the right direction, as obvious as tie/Thai/Siam is in retrospect rofl

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:[nope, never heard of a cowboy tie, & I googled cowboy things quite thoroughly <laugh> ]

If you Google 'Cowboy Tie' directly, there are many correct results. I always test my clues against google.co.uk.

Postby AlfGit

AlfGit wrote:I can hear the groans already. :emb:

As I said ... <laugh>

Postby Iranu

AlfGit wrote:
AlfGit wrote:I can hear the groans already. :emb:

As I said ... <laugh>

I’m not groaning!

I’m merely shouting, “buck YOU ALFGIT!” into the wind.

<laugh>

Postby AlfGit

AlfGit wrote:If we cross-reference the 67 or so players that have won a ranking-event with the list of entrants to the 2021 World Championships, then eliminate the incorrect guesses so far, there are not many people left. <laugh>

This was also a clue. Notice the emphasis on left? It was not accidental.

My previous clue of Second Brush was solved first guess. I can't seem to get the right level of difficulty. I give up. :dizzy:

Postby LDS

What in all that's holy was the non-PC clue supposed to be?

You can write it using other formats if the screen auto-changes it, you know, like B1G A$$. or b-i-g a-s-s

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:What in all that's holy was the non-PC clue supposed to be?

You can write it using other formats if the screen auto-changes it, you know, like B1G A$$. or b-i-g a-s-s

Iranu got it. Siamese Twins is now considered an offensive term. I stressed that I did not know it was offensive at first and that I probably wasn't the only one. That would not have been the case with profanities.