Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby LDS

AlfGit wrote:
LDS wrote:What in all that's holy was the non-PC clue supposed to be?

You can write it using other formats if the screen auto-changes it, you know, like B1G A$$. or b-i-g a-s-s

Iranu got it. Siamese Twins is now considered an offensive term. I stressed that I did not know it was offensive at first and that I probably wasn't the only one. That would not have been the case with profanities.

I had no idea. When and how did you discover this? As you can clearly write it out.

So your original clue was Cowboy Siamese?

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:
AlfGit wrote:

You can write it using other formats if the screen auto-changes it, you know, like B1G A$$. or b-i-g a-s-s

Iranu got it. Siamese Twins is now considered an offensive term. I stressed that I did not know it was offensive at first and that I probably wasn't the only one. That would not have been the case with profanities.

I had no idea. When and how did you discover this? As you can clearly write it out.

The clue was originally going to be Siamese Twins. I was just about to post it a few days ago and my wife said we're not supposed to say that any more. I Googled it, and she was right. Cowboy and Siamese were both intended to lead to Thai.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
AlfGit wrote:

I think more antiquated than outright offensive. Conjoined is the preferred adjective as far as I know, unless that’s changed.

Considering Siam doesn’t exist anymore, it's understandable I think!

Postby LDS

AlfGit wrote:
LDS wrote:
AlfGit wrote:

The clue was originally going to be Siamese Twins. I was just about to post it a few days ago and my wife said we're not supposed to say that any more. I Googled it, and she was right. Cowboy and Siamese were both intended to lead to Thai.

I just googled it & only found 2 entries, and in order to even find those I had to type in four specific words into the google box rather than just Siamese Twins.

1 link was from a science journal, merely being pedantic that it's not the correct medical term.
The 2nd link was to a Yahoo Answers page, where two people thought that they thought that some other people thought it was offensive while two other people basically said "Stop being absurd, no it's not offensive".

So, yeah.

The whole twins thing was a laugh anyway, as it turned out. An obscure snooker event that happened twice to a player. I mean. Well. OK. Whatever. But, no, no-one's going to piece that together LMAO. But, yeah, the word Siamese might have at least narrowed the deluge of guesses to at least Thai players and been a bit quicker.

The thing about Cowboy Tie is that no-one's going to isolate the tie as the crucial piece of information. A tie by itself is non-specific to it being related to cowboy, the impulse, even if they had focused on the tie, would be to look for it's 'technical' name, one of which is bolo & so skipping out tie altogether.

If the clue was Cowboy and the answer was Lloyd (if there was a player called Lloyd) it would be equally as absurd, because the answer would be Cowboy > Boots > Other Pharmacists > Lloyd's Pharmacists, which no-one would do. No-one would get from Cowboy to Lloyd that way. Just as no-one would go Cowboy > Tie > Thailand > Thepchaiya <laugh>

Anyway, off to watch I Claudius again for an hour or so (with other people), I'll think of a quickie to get us all back on track when I get back.

Postby AlfGit

For Twins, I said very early on that it was used figuratively. I also said that you did not need to look outside of snooker and that they were ‘born’ 133 days apart. Given that this is a snooker forum, I don’t think it was unreasonable for me to anticipate people knowing about the two missed 147s, especially as it is so rare to happen that way. In nearly forty years of watching snooker, I have only seen it three times, twice by Thepchaiya and the other by Ken Doherty in The Masters. Cowboy to tie to Thai is no more obscure than many other clues have been. I just tried to do something a bit different. I am sorry that I bothered.

Postby mantorok

LDS wrote:Next clue:

Huge Fart

Judd trump?

Postby Iranu

Jimmy White

Postby mantorok

LDS wrote:Nah, a trump is not quite huge enough, but excellent guess.

Must be Shaun Murphy then.

Postby LDS

mantorok wrote:

I'm guessing this is something personal you have between yourself and the children's magician. Not sure how Mr. Murphy is associated with matters farting.

Postby mantorok

LDS wrote:
mantorok wrote:

I'm guessing this is something personal you have between yourself and the children's magician. Not sure how Mr. Murphy is associated with matters farting.

Neil Robertson?

Postby Iranu

Bill Werbeniuk

Postby LDS

mantorok wrote:
LDS wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Neil Robertson?

It is indeed Neil Robertson!

Your turn!

Postby Iranu

Ahhh. Good clue.

Postby mantorok

LDS wrote:Graeme Dott?

Correct. That’s all I could come up with rofl

Postby chengdufan

AlfGit wrote:I am sorry that I bothered.

Don't be.
LDS rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. Take any of his criticism with a pinch of salt. It's not as if he's the god of clue setting; two or three of his clues I thought have been complete rubbish after the answer came.

Cowboy and the offensive term clue had me running in the wrong directions, but the hunt was fun nonetheless!
I look forward to your next one, they always seem to crank the brain into gear :-)

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:
mantorok wrote:
LDS wrote:
mantorok wrote:

Neil Robertson?

It is indeed Neil Robertson!

Your turn!

No reasoning for this one has been given. Is it because he's the thunder from down under?

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:
AlfGit wrote:It's not as if he's the god of clue setting; two or three of his clues I thought have been complete rubbish after the answer came.

Ah, but I am!

Current stats:

LDS - 19 wins
Chen - 14
McMfan - 13
Prop - 12
Iranu - 11
Alf - 5
Jud - 3
HC - 1
Mantrk - 1

I'd be interested in hearing which of my two or three clues were rubbish, as I've only set one so far that went on for multiple pages, and for that one I did start by saying I'd try a very hard one, the fact that people were still confused after the second clue, even though they were thinking of the word Boy is not exactly the clue's fault. The player is literally called Boi, both phonetically and literally.

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:
chengdufan wrote:It's not as if he's the god of clue setting; two or three of his clues I thought have been complete rubbish after the answer came.

Ah, but I am!

pmsl

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:
LDS wrote:
chengdufan wrote:It's not as if he's the god of clue setting; two or three of his clues I thought have been complete rubbish after the answer came.

Ah, but I am!

pmsl

Not that I'm keeping score or anything, you understand :innocent:

Postby McManusFan

LDS wrote:Next clue:

Peter Ridge

Ben Woollaston?

Peter Grimes -> Benjamin Britain
Woolaston might be the name of a mountain range somewhere. Or you might find sheep in a ridge.

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:Peter Ridge

Paul Gibson

Peter and Paul traditionally are linked together as famous Saints.

Hacksaw Ridge was directed by Mel Gibson

Postby LDS

No, not Paul Gibson, who is someone I haven't heard of, weirdly enough. I see he has a cuetracker page, but no Wikipedia page. Although the answer here is not a ranking event winner, he does at least have a Wikipedia page.