Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby AlfGit

He was an American soul singer. Dexy’s Midnight Runners made a song called Jackie Wilson Said, and when they performed it on Top Of The Pops, someone misunderstood and put up a giant picture of the darts player, Jocky Wilson.

Perhaps I just fluked it and it was nothing to do with Jackie Wilson. Only LDS knows.

Postby chengdufan

AlfGit wrote:He was an American soul singer. Dexy’s Midnight Runners made a song called Jackie Wilson Said, and when they performed it on Top Of The Pops, someone misunderstood and put up a giant picture of the darts player, Jocky Wilson.

Perhaps I just fluked it and it was nothing to do with Jackie Wilson. Only LDS knows.

:hatoff:

Postby LDS

Yes, Jackie Wilson will do. The name Wilson is very common in the soul scene of yore and it's one of the first surnames that would come to anyone's mind when thinking of common snooker player names and common soul names.

The one in my mind was, of course, Al Wilson, the Northern Soul million seller and general legend.

There's also Wilson Pickett, and likely many more.

I'll admit, if you're not familiar with pre 80s soul music then the question would indeed be much harder, but for anyone who is even slightly familiar with it wouldn't need to make too much of a leap as soon as they went looking for a reason why a Cliff might be a soul singer.

Postby AlfGit

I probably would not have known the name if not for the DMR song.

Postby LDS

As an aside, because it's a great rabbit hole if you've not burrowed there before, the big starters are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItgAlRuafaU - Al Wilson, Show and Tell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzDVaKRApcg - Jackie Wilson, (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGVGFfj7POA - Wilson Pickett, In the Midnight Hour

Your soul will be lifted! :trombone:

Postby James Bentley

AlfGit wrote:He was an American soul singer. Dexy’s Midnight Runners made a song called Jackie Wilson Said, and when they performed it on Top Of The Pops, someone misunderstood and put up a giant picture of the darts player, Jocky Wilson.

Amusing as this version of events is, it's not actually what happened. Kevin Rowland (the Dexy's lead singer) thought that it would be funny to have a picture of Jocky Wilson, so asked the production team to do it. The idea was that it was so absurd that everyone would surely know that it was deliberate, but loads of people ended up thinking it was just the TOTP people being clueless.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/ ... rock-myths

Postby Prop

Another strange Jackie Wilson fact, and yes, it is true.

Jackie Wilson used to take handfuls of salt tablets with large amounts of water before shows to simulate profuse sweating because, according to Wilson, “the chicks love it,” not knowing that such a habit would cause hypertension. Jackie Wilson died of complications from a heart attack at 49.

Postby AlfGit

James Bentley wrote:Amusing as this version of events is, it's not actually what happened. Kevin Rowland (the Dexy's lead singer) thought that it would be funny to have a picture of Jocky Wilson, so asked the production team to do it. The idea was that it was so absurd that everyone would surely know that it was deliberate, but loads of people ended up thinking it was just the TOTP people being clueless.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2012/ ... rock-myths

Thanks for the article. That makes a lot more sense. I was always suspicious of the gaffe theory. I thought it might have been a prank, but Top Of The Pops didn't generally add background imagery, so it would have been a special effort, and you would think that if it was their idea they'd clear it with the performer first.

Postby Iranu

AlfGit wrote:Woohoo! :-D

Next puzzle:

Grand Finale

Bill Werbeniuk?

Grand = Big (Big Bill)

The bill is the finale of a meal in a restaurant

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Bill Werbeniuk?

Grand = Big (Big Bill)

The bill is the finale of a meal in a restaurant

Not Bill, but you are very much on the right track.

Postby Prop

LDS wrote:It ain't over till Shaun Murphy/Stephen Lee sings?

<laugh>

‘Dame Shaun Murphy’

Postby AlfGit

Sorry, not Shaun Murphy or Stephen Lee.

Postby AlfGit

This is a one-word-per-name clue. It is simple word association and word play. It involves one piece of trivia, but every Brit knows it.

Iranu had the right idea. Perhaps a little weed could have helped him.

Postby AlfGit

Iranu got the correct synonym:

Grand > Big

But it is not Big Bill.

Postby Iranu

Robin Hull?

Big Finish is a Grand Finale and Hull is Finnish.

Postby AlfGit

Not Jack Lisowski.

The horticultural hint can take you from Bill to the correct first name - if you are old enough.

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Robin Hull?

Big Finish is a Grand Finale and Hull is Finnish.

Good thinking, but no. Don't forget, one word = one name.

Postby Iranu

Ben Hancorn?

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Ben Hancorn?

Not Hancorn, sorry.

Postby AlfGit

It's a groaner. I will probably get yelled at again. :emb:

Postby Iranu

Is weed a reference to Bill and Ben? As in Big Ben?

Postby AlfGit

Iranu wrote:Is weed a reference to Bill and Ben? As in Big Ben?

You appear to be old enough.

Postby AlfGit

Someone is surely going to swoop in for a steal. <laugh>

Postby Prop

Big Ben Mertens? Because he’s not so little any more?

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Big Ben Mertens? Because he’s not so little any more?

I haven’t heard of Ben Mertens, sorry.

Postby Prop

Ben Woolaston?

Big Ben, and ‘last on’.