Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby chengdufan

Interesing. There have been two pros named Gibson, Matt and Paul. Paul played late eighties early nineties and was ranked about 60 or 70.

Postby chengdufan

Mark Allen

Sticking with Hacksaw Ridge, a hacksaw typically has a pistol grip.
Peter Allen is a well-known BBC Radio 5 DJ.

Postby chengdufan

Willie Thorne

Blue Peter - Willie is of course well-known for his missed blue off the spot.
Ridge - Stretching a bit here, but in his only ranking event win, he beat Cliff Thorburn in the final

Postby chengdufan

Paul Hunter

Sticking with Blue Peter, the creator of the show is John Hunter Blair.
Paul Hunter was married to Lindsay Fell. A fell is loosely related to a Ridge.

Postby chengdufan

LDS wrote:No, none of those. The last post on the previous page gives a minor clue that the answer isn't a ranking event winner.

Haha!
Now I feel like an idiot! Can't believe I missed that clue. OK, back to the drawing board

Postby LDS

The following quote is a huge clue as to which Peter I'm clue'ing here:

chengdufan wrote::happy: :happy: :happy: :D :D :D :D

Very excited that the CoC is going to be played in my hometown!! :mosh2: :mosh2: :dance2:

Postby chengdufan

Brian Morgan

Peter Kay - Brian Potter
Morgan Ridge - which Wikipedia tells me is a small rock ridge in Antarctica

Postby AlfGit

Ian McCulloch?

The (Brian) Potter of Preston (Ridge).
Last edited by AlfGit on 15 Apr 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby AlfGit

chengdufan wrote:
AlfGit wrote:I am sorry that I bothered.

Don't be.
LDS rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. Take any of his criticism with a pinch of salt. It's not as if he's the god of clue setting; two or three of his clues I thought have been complete rubbish after the answer came.

Cowboy and the offensive term clue had me running in the wrong directions, but the hunt was fun nonetheless!
I look forward to your next one, they always seem to crank the brain into gear :-)

Thanks. It is sometimes difficult to get the right level of difficulty, but the funny thing is that LDS has won 3 of my 5 puzzles so far, so they can't be that bad! If I had stayed with Siamese Twins, I am sure it would have been solved quicker, but I don't agree that being quick to solve necessarily makes a puzzle good. Anyway, I am thick-skinned and nobody else has complained.

I will be taking a break shortly because the WC will be on and as it usually takes a day or two for me to get the matches, I have to avoid anywhere there might be spoilers. I will be back in May though.

Postby LDS

No, No Brians are involved.

Peter Kay.

So We're looking for:

Kay... Ridge
Kay.. Mountain, no
Kay... Summit, no
Kay... Peak, no
Kay... Tor, no
Kay... Kay... Kay... ?????

Postby McManusFan

Kurt Maflin?

Kay as an initial. Maybe there is a Maflin ridge.
I'd hoped ridge was a clue that the surname was Plough but couldn't find a player with that name.

Postby AlfGit

Xu Xinjian?

Postby chengdufan

James Cahill :-D

Postby AlfGit

LDS wrote:
AlfGit wrote:Xu Xinjian?

WTF?

no.

Alright, there's no need for that. I posted the guess before I saw the clue about ridge synonyms, and the Karakoram mountain range, of which K2 is a part, ends in Xinjiang, China, so it was not a wild guess.

Postby LDS

AlfGit wrote:
LDS wrote:
AlfGit wrote:Xu Xinjian?

WTF?

no.

Alright, there's no need for that. I posted the guess before I saw the clue about ridge synonyms, and the Karakoram mountain range, of which K2 is a part, ends in Xinjiang, China, so it was not a wild guess.

You also missed this one:

LDS wrote:Although the answer here is not a ranking event winner, he does at least have a Wikipedia page.

Postby chengdufan

Right, might be a bit tricky this one. Let's see where people go.

Rose Emma

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
chengdufan wrote:
AlfGit wrote:I am sorry that I bothered.

Don't be.
LDS rubs a lot of people up the wrong way. Take any of his criticism with a pinch of salt. It's not as if he's the god of clue setting; two or three of his clues I thought have been complete rubbish after the answer came.

Cowboy and the offensive term clue had me running in the wrong directions, but the hunt was fun nonetheless!
I look forward to your next one, they always seem to crank the brain into gear :-)

Thanks. It is sometimes difficult to get the right level of difficulty, but the funny thing is that LDS has won 3 of my 5 puzzles so far, so they can't be that bad! If I had stayed with Siamese Twins, I am sure it would have been solved quicker, but I don't agree that being quick to solve necessarily makes a puzzle good. Anyway, I am thick-skinned and nobody else has complained.

I will be taking a break shortly because the WC will be on and as it usually takes a day or two for me to get the matches, I have to avoid anywhere there might be spoilers. I will be back in May though.

Enjoy the tournament mate, see you back here soon :hatoff:

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:
AlfGit wrote:I will be taking a break shortly because the WC will be on and as it usually takes a day or two for me to get the matches, I have to avoid anywhere there might be spoilers. I will be back in May though.

Enjoy the tournament mate, see you back here soon :hatoff:

Thanks! You too.

I am really looking forward to it. As long as Ronnie is winning, I will be enjoying it. :-)

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:Right, might be a bit tricky this one. Let's see where people go.

Rose Emma

Willie Thorne?

Roses have thorns, and Emma Willis is a presenter.

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:
chengdufan wrote:Right, might be a bit tricky this one. Let's see where people go.

Rose Emma

Willie Thorne?

Roses have thorns, and Emma Willis is a presenter.

Aha, we're underway :-).

This is a good guess, but it isn't Willie.

A couple of clues:

The first clue leads to the first name, the second to the surname.

Geography

Postby chengdufan

Rose Emma

The first word is a geography clue, the second word is a tv clue.

You're looking for a ranking event winner.

Postby chengdufan

I like it! Not Ricky though.

Wrong continent for the geography clue

Postby LDS

Well the only player who's first name is obviously geographical is Jordan Brown, and while Petra is nicknamed the rose something or other and is in Jordan, I came up completely blank for Emma Browns on TV aside from some obscure tv show that ran for a couple of seasons 20 odd years ago.