Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby Prop

LDS wrote:Cliff Thorburn?

Nope.

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:
LDS wrote:Cliff Wilson?

I like it, it works, but it’s not right.

Cliff Wilson is always right. If it’s not, the question is wrong :grrr:

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Prop wrote:
LDS wrote:Cliff Wilson?

I like it, it works, but it’s not right.

Cliff Wilson is always right. If it’s not, the question is wrong :grrr:

You’ve got a point <laugh>

Right then. New day new clue and all that. Think in terms of speech.

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:Stu(arhhhh)t Bingham?

We’re getting warmer…

Postby Prop

Again, McManusfan gets very close. Maybe a quick trawl of the rankings section on snooker.org might be all it takes for someone to get this one. It’ll be obvious when you see it.

Postby Prop

You’re looking for a young Irishman.

Postby Prop

LDS wrote:Aaron Hill?

“AAR!” on hill

Correct <laugh>

Postby LDS

Lol. Nice one.

Since it's deadly quiet at the moment I'll take my turn to stir things up for a bit and suggest that mountains and hills are two completely separate entities, each with their own breadth of terminology.

Though I've no doubt no-one except possibly HappyCamper would know the precise definition of when one stops and the other begins.

I'll do another clue once everyone's finished two centing this, if anyone does.

Postby McManusFan

Dunno about separate. I'd probably say a mountain was a subset of hill, so hill over a certain size are mountains.

There was that film with Colm Meany in it, "The man who walked up a hill and walked down a mountain" or something like that. It was all about height I believe.

Postby Iranu

I think it’s dependent on how much Hugh Grant likes the people of the local town.

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:Dunno about separate. I'd probably say a mountain was a subset of hill, so hill over a certain size are mountains.

There was that film with Colm Meany in it, "The man who walked up a hill and walked down a mountain" or something like that. It was all about height I believe.

the englishman who went up a hill but came down a mountain. about a fictional welsh village where the villagers try to get their hill classified as a mountain by building an earth mound on top to increase the height.

but yes, there is no universal agreed on definition. usually just some arbitrary height.

Postby Prop

For the purposes of the quiz, it’s the association that’s key. You get to the hill after being presented with the mountain. A bit like a clue with ‘sheep’ in it, for Ben Woolaston.

But yeah. They’re two different things for me. In my mind’s eye, a hill is grassy, pleasant and not at all unwelcoming. Whereas a mountain brings up images of dangerous cliff faces, razor sharp slate rocks and stranded hikers, circled by birds of prey and a rescue helicopter.

Postby Prop

Ryan Day

Postby Iranu

The code seems to be Mark Key that’s all I got

Postby Prop

Mark Allen then?

Postby Prop

Sincere apologies to ‘wanu.

Right then, continuing the theme:

Mirror Zhgilmzfg

Postby Prop

I think we might be here a while. So I’ll solve a letter, and I expect that’ll set things rolling.

Mirror Ahgilmafg

Edit: Forgot to add ‘mirror’, which is a hint to the method of decryption.

Postby Prop

LDS wrote:Dominic Dale, as the clue leads to Astronaut, the spaceman!

Excellent work, sir :-D

Postby Iranu

Fergal O’Brien