Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby Prop

Ok. I’m on Amazon. There’s Guylian. Julian? > Iulian Boiko?

Godiva :chin: Lady Godiva > Elanor Rigby > The Beatles… arrrrggghhh! I don’t have a clue!

And there’s one called Hamilton’s. So, for what it’s worth, Anthony Hamilton.

But seriously, I’m successfully tortured.

Postby AlfGit

It's not Anthony Hamilton. What are you searching for on Amazon?

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:It's not Anthony Hamilton. What are you searching for on Amazon?

Belgian chocolates. But I can’t find the toggle for ‘most expensive’ first.

Postby AlfGit

OK, I have tortured you far more than I intended. Search for Callebaut.

Postby AlfGit

For me, searching for Belgian chocolate on amazon.co.uk returned the information in the first few results.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:OK, I have tortured you far more than I intended. Search for Callebaut.

I saw that. Thought ‘Mike Hallett’. But I mentioned him earlier. I’ll keep digging.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:
AlfGit wrote:OK, I have tortured you far more than I intended. Search for Callebaut.

I saw that. Thought ‘Mike Hallett’. But I mentioned him earlier. I’ll keep digging.

Yes, you got it. It is Mike Hallet!

I didn't give it to you earlier because you listed just about every Michael that has ever played. <laugh>

Your Chocolate > My Callet > Mike Hallet

They are not quite Belgian Bullets, but they are Belgian Pellets, so close enough I thought.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:

Yes, you got it. It is Mike Hallet!

I didn't give it to you earlier because you listed just about every Michael that has ever played. <laugh>

Your Chocolate > My Callet > Mike Hallet

They are not quite Belgian Bullets, but they are Belgian Pellets, so close enough I thought.

Callets, though?! What are they?! Never heard of them rofl

Well, Alf, that was as evil as it gets. Yesterday’s headache has come right back, so give me half an hour to take some deep breaths and create a new one <ok>

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:Prop not going to attempt my list on the greatest hits quiz?

I’ll have a look now

Postby Prop

Prop wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:Prop not going to attempt my list on the greatest hits quiz?

I’ll have a look now

Nope, I’ve had a look and drawn a blank. Sorry Judders!

Postby AlfGit

Callets are small chocolate chips that are specially formulated for melting. They are used by confectioners more than bakers, who usually want chips that retain their form. The term is mostly associated with Callebaut, but other manufacturers use it too.

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:Callets are small chocolate chips that are specially formulated for melting. They are used by confectioners more than bakers, who usually want chips that retain their form. The term is mostly associated with Callebaut, but other manufacturers are starting to use it too.

I’m guessing a chef or patissier might have had an edge there :-) But I’m now slightly wiser for it :hatoff:

Postby Prop

Sack tack.

Postby AlfGit

Stephen Maguire?

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:Stephen Maguire?

Not Mags.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:

Not Mags.

I thought 'tack on', and sack (from a job) is fire, so 'On Fire' Maguire.

Never mind. I didn't deserve to get it quickly after such brutality. <laugh>

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:

Not Mags.

I thought 'tack on', and sack (from a job) is fire, so 'On Fire' Maguire.

Never mind. I didn't deserve to get it quickly after such brutality. <laugh>

I’ll give you a clue now seeing as you had me properly slaughtered there, as a mark of respect :-D

With this one, the first (and most simple) step is finding the most obvious synonyms for each word. Once you’re there, the real fun begins.

Postby Prop

Clue…

The correct synonyms of ‘sack’ and ‘tack’ combined create a rough homophone of the surname of a famous person. There was an excellent film about this person in the early 2000s, directed by Steven Spielberg.

Postby chengdufan

Ali Carter

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:Ali Carter

He’s got it <ok>

Sack > bag
Tack > nail
Bagnail > Abagnale > Frank Abagnale, who famously committed huge scale fraud and impersonated multiple professionals including an airline pilot. He went on to work for the FBI after they did actually catch him (Catch Me if You Can was the film telling his story).

And of course, Ali Carter is a bit of an aspiring pilot himself.

Well played :hatoff:

Postby chengdufan

Good clue, thanks Prop!

Postby chengdufan

Samuel Joseph

Postby AlfGit

Tony Meo?

Postby chengdufan

AlfGit wrote:Tony Meo?

Not Tony, but I'm interested in your logic

Postby chengdufan

A clue

Samuel leads to the given name, Joseph to the family name.
Both clues are biblical in nature.

Postby AlfGit

chengdufan wrote:
AlfGit wrote:Tony Meo?

Not Tony, but I'm interested in your logic

I set one recently for Tony Meo, with the clue being Mob Jeweller.

Samuel made me immediately think of H Samuel, the jewellers, and Joe (Joseph) Mantegna voices Fat Tony, the mob boss in The Simpsons, so I had to try. <laugh>

Postby AlfGit

Nothing is giving me any confidence yet, but I have found a tenuous link to Leo Fernandez.

Postby chengdufan

AlfGit wrote:Nothing is giving me any confidence yet, but I have found a tenuous link to Leo Fernandez.

Not Leo

This is a tough one for sure.
Give me a nod if you need more clues.

Postby AlfGit

I am completely stumped at the moment, but I will keep coming back to it. Perhaps hold on to the clues for a while longer because nobody else has made a guess yet.

Postby Prop

Samuel’s linked to Saul, biblically. So based on a particularly well-known Saul, there’s Jimmy, Bob and Gene to look at, as well as the associated Walter, Brian, Jesse etc.

Joseph was the son of Jacob, but I’m not sure where to go with Jacobson.

This is a tricky one.