Post a reply

Re: 2 Word Clue

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:Mitchell Mann?

The famous Michelin Man of tyre brand Michelin came to mind.

Wow! That was quick. <laugh>

Can you uncover the full logic?

Well the Michelin Man is kind of ‘wearing’ tyres, so that could be the out/outside bit, although on its own that’s rather tenuous.

He has gone on record regarding his battles with depression and anxiety, so that could be a more literal explanation of ‘tired out’.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:Well the Michelin Man is kind of ‘wearing’ tyres, so that could be the out/outside bit, although on its own that’s rather tenuous.

He has gone on record regarding his battles with depression and anxiety, so that could be a more literal explanation of ‘tired out’.

The Michelin Man is made of tyres, so he could be said to be 'tired' (tyred). I used the North American spelling otherwise it would have been too simple.

Out means 'not in', in other words, remove 'in' from Michelin Man to get Michel Man, or Mitchell Mann.

The rating of 3 stars was also a clue. It alluded to their Michelin Guide, which rates restaurants from 0 to 3 stars.

I spent more time putting that together than you did solving it! :grrr: <laugh>

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:Well the Michelin Man is kind of ‘wearing’ tyres, so that could be the out/outside bit, although on its own that’s rather tenuous.

The Michelin Man is made of tyres, so he could be said to be 'tired' (tyred). I used the North American spelling otherwise it would have been too simple.

Out means 'not in', in other words, remove 'in' from Michelin Man to get Michel Man, or Mitchell Mann.

The rating of 3 stars was also a clue. It alluded to their Michelin Guide, which rates restaurants from 0 to 3 stars.

I spent more time putting that together than you did solving it! :grrr: <laugh>

Very good :-) I did hesitate for a second at ‘3 stars’ but the restaurant link never occurred to me!

I’ll post up the next one shortly…

Postby Prop

I think this one is going to be a tough test.

EDIT: I’ve come up with a more fitting clue.

Covid bat.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:I think this one is going to be a tough test.

Covid bat.

The edit might give me an unfair advantage because I know what the previous clue was. :-)

Postby AlfGit

Paul Hunter?

Covid > 19 > Paul Hardcastle
Bat > Hunter is a company that makes cricket bats

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:I think this one is going to be a tough test.

Covid bat.

The edit might give me an unfair advantage because I know what the previous clue was. :-)

I expect a correct answer in double quick time then! <laugh>

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:Paul Hunter?

A very good start. But it’s not Hunter.

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:

OK. I have to get some work done, so I'll try again later - unless Iranu snags it in the meantime. <laugh>

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:
Prop wrote:

OK. I have to get some work done, so I'll try again later - unless Iranu snags it in the meantime. <laugh>

:hatoff:

Postby chengdufan

Paul Davison

Covid - 19 - Paul Hardcastle - Paul

Bat - Bat out of hell - Meatloaf - Tenacious D - Davison is known for his tenacity in returning to the tour after dropping off on multiple occasions, and not giving up even into his 50s

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:Paul Davison

Covid - 19 - Paul Hardcastle - Paul

Bat - Bat out of hell - Meatloaf - Tenacious D - Davison is known for his tenacity in returning to the tour after dropping off on multiple occasions, and not giving up even into his 50s

Not Paul Davison.

Clue time…

Think of other synonyms for ‘Covid’.

Alf was definitely onto something with his cricket ‘bat’ idea. But brands are not relevant.

Postby Iranu

Ray Reardon?

A covid symptom is not being able to breathe. Vampires don’t breathe and turn into bats, for instance Dracula.

Postby Prop

Iranu wrote:Ray Reardon?

A covid symptom is not being able to breathe. Vampires don’t breathe and turn into bats, for instance Dracula.

Nope. Synonym, not symptom.

Postby Iranu

Prop wrote:
Iranu wrote:Ray Reardon?

Nope. Synonym, not symptom.

rofl

Oops

Postby Prop

More clues? Or shall I wait?

Postby AlfGit

Stuart Bingham?

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:Stuart Bingham?

Not Stuart Bingham.

Clue…

What word can be a synonym for Covid, and also a beverage brand? When you find that word, think of its definitions.

Also, keep thinking about that cricket bat!

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:
AlfGit wrote:Stuart Bingham?

Not Stuart Bingham.

Clue…

What word can be a synonym for Covid, and also a beverage brand? When you find that word, think of its definitions.

Also, keep thinking about that cricket bat!

Hmm... Thought I'd been down those paths pretty thoroughly. Will keep looking :chin:

Postby Prop

I’m going to offer another clue for good measure.

The intro of one of The Orb’s most popular (and conventional) tracks contains a sample that could help you solve the ‘bat’ clue.

Postby chengdufan

Mark Williams

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:Mark Williams

Not Mark Williams.

Although I get the feeling you’ve got your head around some of it.

Postby Prop

I honestly thought Chengdufan was about to solve this.

Postby AlfGit

Rex Williams?

Postby Prop

AlfGit wrote:Rex Williams?

Go on…

Postby AlfGit

Prop wrote:
AlfGit wrote:Rex Williams?

Go on…

Williams is the easy part. Cricket bats are made of willow, which is Mark Williams nickname, but could apply to anybody called Williams.

COVID is Coronavirus, and Corona is a beer. The corona is the Sun's atmosphere, but it reminded me of coronation, which is where Rex comes in.

Postby HappyCamper

Corona is Latin for crown

Postby AlfGit

I knew there was a connection. It has been several decades since my last Latin lesson. <laugh>

Postby Prop

Spot on <ok> And yes, as HC says corona was the link to crown, royalty, rex.

All yours :hatoff:

Postby AlfGit

Sorry Chengdu!