Post a reply

Re: The Missing Vowels Quiz!

Postby rekoons

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Ck147 wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
rekoons wrote:Correct!

I always thought y being a vowel is debatable and depends on region and language?

Personally, I think the Americans may count it as a vowel but what the hell do they know? :emb:

'Countdown' file it under the consonants box, and they're the standard by which I measure it <ok>

I think y is classed as a semi-vowel, in rekoons example it can be considered a vowel as it sounds like a vowel "eeee" but in "yob" it would be considered a consonant.

Good explanation, I'll go along with that <ok>

So that gives me a bit of leeway to include or exclude Y to make it a wee more difficult :-D

Postby D4P

Americans would treat "y" as a vowel in a word like "Kyren", but not in a word like "Yan". So in a missing vowel quiz, Kyren would be KRN and Yan would be YN.

Postby SnookerEd25

D4P wrote:Americans would treat "y" as a vowel in a word like "Kyren", but not in a word like "Yan". So in a missing vowel quiz, Kyren would be KRN and Yan would be YN.

I foresee the Missing Vowels Quiz descending into anarchy in the days ahead... :-(

Postby rekoons

D4P wrote:Americans would treat "y" as a vowel in a word like "Kyren", but not in a word like "Yan". So in a missing vowel quiz, Kyren would be KRN and Yan would be YN.

Who is this Yan you speak of? Never heard of him before.

Postby SnookerEd25

FILL THE PLACES IN ALL THE WORLD

would fit, but I wouldn't have a clue what Phil Yates was on about when he said it :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerEd25 wrote:FILL THE PLACES IN ALL THE WORLD

would fit, but I wouldn't have a clue what Phil Yates was on about when he said it :chin:

Fill them with Yatesisms perhaps? :chin:

Postby Ck147

Of all the places in all the world

Postby Ck147

Equipment:
TTNMFRRL

Postby Ck147

I'll give you that even though it's spelt "ferrule". Your turn!

Postby Ck147

Alex0paul wrote:Thanks

THTLWJSWL

What's the category?
Edit: looks like Iranu got it

Postby Alex0paul

Iranu wrote:The Outlaw Joe(y) Swail

Correct

Postby Juddernaut88

rekoons wrote:there's only one stephen hendry

Correct :hatoff: that was commentary from good old John Virgo when Hendry made a maximum in the 2012 world championship 1st round match against Stuart Bingham.

Postby rekoons

Juddernaut88 wrote:
rekoons wrote:there's only one stephen hendry

Correct :hatoff: that was commentary from good old John Virgo when Hendry made a maximum in the 2012 world championship 1st round match against Stuart Bingham.

Rare:

nfrsx