Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby chengdufan

mick745 wrote:Is it a trick question, is there no pier in Wigan, 0m?

I should know this. I went to see it when I was a wee one. I seem to recall it exists but is very short. Very hazy memories on this though

Postby LDS

chengdufan wrote:10

This is correct as mick noticed.

There is no pier in Wigan, it's completely landlocked.

The pier of Wigan refers to an old canal structure & was demolished in 1929. An area is known as Wigan Pier as a result.

Postby HappyCamper

Technically the nearest 10m to anything is always 10m, as anything else is not 10m. But if we assume what was meant was nearest multiple of ten, the nought is indeed closer than ten.

Postby HappyCamper

mick745 wrote:In what year did construction start on the still unfinished Gaudi cathedral in Barcelona known as the Sagrada Familia?

1890?

Postby LDS

HappyCamper wrote:Technically the nearest 10m to anything is always 10m, as anything else is not 10m. But if we assume what was meant was nearest multiple of ten, the nought is indeed closer than ten.

As a question setter it's a very difficult moral position to be in, as both answers gave a correct answer within the rules of the question and we have to give the win to the first-posted correct answer.

The fact that the latter answer was more precise is just a technicality, the first answer fulfilled the requirements of the question. However, since it was a fluke, I think we can all agree the Chen is probably right to pass it on to the more accurate and precise answer.

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:Warrington? Or am I going too far west? :chin:

Warrington, traditionally home to Manchester United players, is in Cheshire

Too far south :emb:

Postby chengdufan

mick745 wrote:In what year did construction start on the still unfinished Gaudi cathedral in Barcelona known as the Sagrada Familia?

1913?

Postby chengdufan

mick745 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:1924

Earlier.

Are any of the other guesses close, Mick?

Postby mick745

chengdufan wrote:
mick745 wrote:
Juddernaut88 wrote:1924

Earlier.

Are any of the other guesses close, Mick?

Iranu was fairly close.