Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby SnookerEd25

Jean-Marc Mormeck, if I remember correctly. Was into my boxing then, and saw a lot of Mormeck’s early outings on Eurosport. He was an entertaining watach.

Postby SnookerEd25

Which pugilist, who held the British, European & World (WBO/IBO versions) Cruiserweight title, was the first to inflict defeat upon David Haye - stopping him in five rounds of an absolute barnstormer at Wembley in 2004?

Postby SnookerEd25

No, but the gentlemen you’re looking for did end the career of Chris Eubank in two barnstorming encounters.

Postby LDS

One of the documentaries did mention someone who beat Eubanks, by convincing Eubanks that [boxer's name] had been hypnotised to be invulnerable. Eubanks, a staunch believer in such magics, was psychologically put on the back foot by this. I don't know if that's the guy, but his name wont come to me. An Irish sounding name?

Postby SnookerEd25

Not Calzaghe either, I’m afraid - though he did inflict defeat no.3 on Chris Eubank. The answer is the fella who inflicted defeats 4 & 5 on him.

Postby SnookerEd25

LDS wrote:Fraser? (Joe?)

No, it was nobody called Fraser, or Joe.

The gentleman in question boxed out of Manchester, and went by the nickname of ‘the Cat’; this was because it was his initials, rather than him possessing any feline tendencies such as agile reflexes or an ability to wash his own a*se with his tongue.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:tony meo!?

Surprisingly, not.

The chap you are looking for has the same first name as the 90s snooker player BROUGHTON, and the same surname as actress Emma.

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:Based on the clues

Karl Thompson

I’ll give it, though with the Cat nickname being his initials clue, he spelled Carl with a C

But correct apart from that :clap:

Over to our man in the east <ok>

Postby chengdufan

Ha! Funny I got a boxing question correct. I have heard of Chris Eubank, so I suppose I'm not a complete no-hoper when it comes to the ring, but I can't say I've ever heard of Carl Thompson.

Anyway, a somewhat easier question this time imho:

In which events did Carl Lewis win Olympic gold medals?

Postby HappyCamper

he competed in the long jump as well. fairly certain that he got gold.

so 100m, 200m, 4x100m, and long jump.

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:he competed in the long jump as well. fairly certain that he got gold.

so 100m, 200m, 4x100m, and long jump.

Correct :hatoff:

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote:Oh rubbish, I knew that Carl Thompson one too.

Should've looked earlier.

Haha : bungke :pal:

Postby HappyCamper

the music for the film chariots of fire was composed by which greek born electronic and classical composer?

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:Van Gellis?

Correct. More usually given as one word, Vangelis. Or to give his full name Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou.

Sadly passed away in May of this year.