Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby HappyCamper

the almovarids? i think that was the name of the dynasty that replaced the umayyads in arabic europe.

Postby LDS

Oh, so very nearly!

They are also Almos but not the varids, they are Almo-something else. While I would accept the answer, especially if no-one else knows the answer, I fear that if I did so then any good history buff would scold me for my inaccuracy and incorrectedness.

Here's the reason why from the game itself:

And a nice big juicy clue-fest to-boot.

Postby LDS

At this moment in time it looks like the biggest clue possible isn't helping to jog anyone's memory, so let's say we give it until tomorrow morning and if no-one's added to the guesses then HappyCamper can take the win (in case I'm not around when people are agitating for a new question).

Postby SnookerEd25

LDS wrote: (in case I'm not around when people are agitating for a new question).

You mean ‘patiently waiting’, surely? :chin:

Postby LDS

Lol, yes, patiently agitating <laugh>

Yes, HappyCamper fills in the gaps anyway, t'was indeed the Almohads:

Whose reign in that era came quite a few years after the 1086 start date of the game, but is forgivable in the sense that most of these types of games tend to abstract greatly anyway.

Postby HappyCamper

Good to know I was right and the game designers wrong.

Film. Which Alfred Hitchcock feature, starring Doris Day and James Stewart, was set partially in Morocco; it is noted for winning the academy award for best original song for Que Sera, Sera sung by one of the film's stars?
Last edited by HappyCamper on 03 Mar 2021, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:Good to know I was right and the game designers wrong.

Film. Which Alfred Hitchcock feature, starring Doris Day and James Stewart, was set partially in Morocco. It is noted for winning the academy award for best original song

Big Hitchcock buff.

'the Man Who Knew Too Much' (1956 version)

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:

Film. Which Alfred Hitchcock feature, starring Doris Day and James Stewart, was set partially in Morocco. It is noted for winning the academy award for best original song

Big Hitchcock buff.

Correct. Too quick even for my edit to include the song title.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Big Hitchcock buff.

Correct. Too quick even for my edit to include the song title.

'the Man Who Knew Too Much' (1956) was a remake of a 1934 film, starring Leslie Banks & Peter Lorre.

Who directed the original version?

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:Was that also Hitchcock.

It was :chuckle:

Tried to catch you out with a trick question of sorts; he was unhappy about certain aspects of the original, things he felt he could have done better, so twenty years later - he did!

:clap:

Postby HappyCamper

The Swedish horror film Låt den rätte komma in directed by Tomas Alfredson, had an English language remake starring Chloë Grace Moretz released under what title?

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Let The Right One In.

Was listening to a podcast about it the other day.

close. but not quite right.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:That must be the Swedish then. Let Me In?

correct! let the right one in is the english title of the original. let me in was the, by all accounts, vastly inferior remake.

They're vampire films, in case anyone was wondering.

Postby Iranu

I’ve seen neither of them <laugh>

The director of Let Me In, Matt Reeves, directed two entries in which film series?

Postby Iranu

Correct! Specifically Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and War for the Planet of the Apes.

Postby HappyCamper

the bonobo koba, potrayed by toby kebbell in the rebooted planet of the apes films, is named for which twentieth century world leader; the character's belief, in opposition to caesar, of the impossibility of peaceful coexistence of ape and human forms the main thematic conflict of the series?

Postby SnookerEd25

I will try Pol Pot

(who invented the Pot Noodle - little known fact there)

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Stalin?

correct! koba was one a many pseudonyms used by joseph stalin. speculations as to why (if it indeed had any meaning t all) range from a tribute to his grandfather, a character from a novel, a mythical georgian king.