Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby SnookerEd25

Close!

They were runners-up to Juventus in ‘77, but it was a year in the 70s we are looking for here...

Postby Juddernaut88

SnookerEd25 wrote:Jose-Antonio Reyes, RIP

Correct :) Arsenal played poorly but won it on pens. Reyes got sent off in extra time. It was the last game Vieira played for Arsenal too :(

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:he was at seville before arsenal. so andalucia?

Well worked out HC, <ok>

:clap:

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:I’ll guess Catalonia

Sorry, no - HappyCamper has lashed one in from the edge of the box

Postby chengdufan

Good question this, I love learning new things about language.

I don't know the answer. Aramaic would have been my guess too. My second guess is Maltese.
But seems unlikely...

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Aramaic?

not aramaic. likely spoken by jesus christ as a first language as the lingua franca of much of the near east. it's use has largely died out.

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:Good question this, I love learning new things about language.

I don't know the answer. Aramaic would have been my guess too. My second guess is Maltese.
But seems unlikely...

not maltese, the only semitic official language of the european union. a latinised form of arabic with significant sicilin and italian influences.

Postby HappyCamper

McManusFan wrote:Hebrew? Doesn't sound likely but you never know.

not hebrew. another ancient semitic language, unlike it's aramaic cousin has had successful modern revival and is the official language of the state of israel.

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:Moor?

i'll accept. strictly speaking the moors spoke a dialect of arabic, rather than a distinct language. but it was the moorish rule of the iberian peninsula that led to the naming. called al-andalus in arabic.

Postby LDS

Hmm, difficult for me to come up with a question that relates the the Moors as we weren't taught about them at school and everything I know about them has been self-taught from random books about world history, with little remaining in my memory.

What I do remember is that the Moors were only one faction of Mohammedans to rule that area between the fall of Rome and the reconquest by El Cid in the early middle ages.

For example, in the Grand Strategy computer game Medieval: Total War (2002), at the start of the game in 1086 southern Spain is governed by a different faction, or, at least, they are not titled Moors.

What was the name of the Mohammedan faction that game chose to represent the rulers of southern Spain just before El Cid's reconquest? (a North African Berber faction that in reality came to aid the Moors rather than already having direct rule there)