Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby Iranu

Not Bognor or Chichester.

You could say he wanted to be “sure” he’d get away by departing from this town.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:Sureditch (no idea how it's spelt)

Not Shoreditch which is in London but name-wise you’re the closest so far.

Postby LDS

I'm not sure anyone actually knows that place exists, so someone getting it without a map are extremely unlikely, unless an Islander lives practically on top of it.

I was tempted to google a map of Sussex, but internet is cheating. A traditional paper map though... well, indeed, you're going to be getting into legal minutia there!

Postby Iranu

I agree it’s out-of-the-way place. But if you know about the Monarch’s Way you’d also know it.

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:I mean, I’m not the judge on this game. I’m happy to accept it.

Very good. Continuing on the theme of ham, from which country was the recipe for Parma ham alledgely 'stolen' by the Romans?

Postby LDS

Oh indeed. Also if you're a big reader of Civil War history. However, even three extremely specifically obscure routes to the answer doesn't elevate the overall odds of someone knowing it to above 'still very obscure'. <laugh>

We do need obscure questions though, it does add something to the format & is quite educational.

Postby LDS

McManusFan wrote:

Very good. Continuing on the theme of ham, from which country was the recipe for Parma ham alledgely 'stolen' by the Romans?

The Germans are quite big on Pig, especially cured pig, so my first guess would be Germany (which in those days encompassed anything from Holland, northern Germany, Denmark, Bohemia and western Poland... ish)

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:Oh indeed. Also if you're a big reader of Civil War history. However, even three extremely specifically obscure routes to the answer doesn't elevate the overall odds of someone knowing it to above 'still very obscure'. <laugh>

We do need obscure questions though, it does add something to the format & is quite educational.

I mean Cromwell was a pretty big deal, it wouldn’t unexpected to have learnt about Monarch’s Way at school.

Postby LDS

LDS wrote:
McManusFan wrote:

The Germans are quite big on Pig, especially cured pig, so my first guess would be Germany (which in those days encompassed anything from Holland, northern Germany, Denmark, Bohemia and western Poland... ish)

For reference:

Postby chengdufan

McManusFan wrote:

China likes to claim itself as the origin of most things, so I'll try China.