Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:Mary Sue?

i assume you mean peggy sue? an excellent track that topped out at number 6 on the uk hit parade.

Postby LDS

That's the one, couldn't remember the first name. Knew it was a Sue though. Not no.1? Damn. Hmm, was That'll Be The Day Buddy Holly, or was that Gerry and the Pacemakers? Oh well, I'll try it anyway while I try and remember other Buddy stuff (unlikely).

Postby Iranu

I have no idea which would have been the first no.1 so I’ll just guess a song I know

Midnight Shift

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:That's the one, couldn't remember the first name. Knew it was a Sue though. Not no.1? Damn. Hmm, was That'll Be The Day Buddy Holly, or was that Gerry and the Pacemakers? Oh well, I'll try it anyway while I try and remember other Buddy stuff (unlikely).

that'll be the correct answer.

not sure about the pacemakers, but it was noticeably covered by another merseyside band, the quarrymen.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:I have no idea which would have been the first no.1 so I’ll just guess a song I know

Midnight Shift

an excellent choice, but was a non single album track, penned by jimmie ainsworth, and earl bud lee.

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:I ended up looking it up. Wasn’t gonna guess that.

Yes, it really tells you something about a band when their first no.1, a really big at the time no.1, goes on to become one of their more obscure songs, relatively speaking <laugh>

Postby LDS

I Saw Her Standing There was never released as a single in the UK, was the B side to I Want To Hold Your Hand's USA release and was the leading song on the UK released EP Beatles (no.1), which got to number 2 in the EP charts, but it's a no for this question.

Postby Prop

Which rock and roll star performed on stage with John Lennon and Yoko Ono on the Mike Douglas Show in 1974, when Ono’s microphone was deliberately muted mid-song to save listeners from her deranged wailing?

Postby Prop

Juddernaut88 wrote:Ozzy Osbourne?

Not Ozzy.

Think more ‘pioneer’ of rock and roll.