Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:They had a bit if a rotating cast of characters over the years. But by elimination it must be Robert Del Naja?

HappyCamper gets it!

Indeed, Robert Del Naja, aka 3D was apparently the ‘Rob’ that Goldie name-dropped in interview.

This theory actually stands up pretty well for me. He’s been into graffiti himself for decades, and if you look at some of his artwork around the Heligoland record, it’s undeniably similar. There are also a number of interesting little coincidences around the theory, such as new Banksy works being discovered in locations where Massive Attack had very recently toured. There’s plenty of info out there - definitely worth a read.

Over to you, HC <ok>

Postby HappyCamper

Maybe it's actually Goldie and he's just trying to throw everyone off the scent...

Used in medical diagnostics and research, the Bristol scale is used to grade what bodily output; it is named for the Bristol Royal Infirmary where it was first developed?

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:Maybe it's actually Goldie and he's just trying to throw everyone off the scent...

Used in medical diagnostics and research, the Bristol scale is used to grade what bodily output; it is named for the Bristol Royal Infirmary where it was first developed?

Oh dear. better get this suggestion out the way early then.

Faeces
Sh*t
Poo
Rubbish (TM SnookerFan)
Stools
Movements (my own personal preference)

Whatever you wish to call it.

Postby HappyCamper

Faeces is probably the least vulgar. And is correct! There are seven grades from the lowest, severe constipation, to the highest, severe diarrhoea.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:Faeces is probably the least vulgar. And is correct! There are seven grades from the lowest, severe constipation, to the highest, severe diarrhoea.

Well, I am surprised. The first time I have won a round with such a sh*t answer :chuckle:

Who, contrary to popular belief, did not invent the toilet but did patent a series of improvements to the design (including the S bend development, and the ballcock) leading to the popular misconception that he did invent the much admired contraption?

Postby SnookerEd25

Of course, Prop; none other than Mr. Crapper himself (still makes me giggle like a schoolboy, as does children's TV presenter from my formative years Christopher Lillicrap. I know I need to get out more, but in my defence, 'tis impossible at the moment)

Over to you :clap:

Postby Prop

Staying with inventions...

Who is generally credited with inventing the first successful vaccine, inoculating against smallpox, in 1798?

Postby SnookerEd25

I’m going to say Joseph Lister, but I’ve a feeling it may have been too early for him, always assumed him to be a gentleman of the Victorian age...

Postby HappyCamper

I remember the story of him noticing that dairy farm workers seemed to be immune to small pox. So he made the connection and made a vaccine from cowpox. But can't recall his name.

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:I remember the story of him noticing that dairy farm workers seemed to be immune to small pox. So he made the connection and made a vaccine from cowpox. But can't recall his name.

That’s the guy...

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:I remember the story of him noticing that dairy farm workers seemed to be immune to small pox. So he made the connection and made a vaccine from cowpox. But can't recall his name.

That’s the guy...

Davidson Gilbert (sr.) :chin:

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Prop wrote:

That’s the guy...

Davidson Gilbert (sr.) :chin:

Ha! <laugh> nope

Clue: He might have been called Teddy by his friends. And he shared his surname with an American former gold medal winning decathlete who went on to be crowned Woman of the Year.

Postby Iranu

HappyCamper wrote:Head of the royal society?

No, although he did hold this position from 1703.

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:In 1699 Isaac Newton was appointed what governmental position?

I've got a feeling he might have been the Governor of the Bank of England, but not sure if that's considered a governmental position or not? :chin:

Postby Iranu

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Iranu wrote:In 1699 Isaac Newton was appointed what governmental position?

I've got a feeling he might have been the Governor of the Bank of England, but not sure if that's considered a governmental position or not? :chin:

Nope

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:Nope. Prop’s guess was the closest so far.

Searches for Prop's last guess, which was... Thomas Crapper :chin:

Minister of the latrine?
No...
Conservative party whip?