Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:
McManusFan wrote:Samoa?

I think Samoa's capital is Apia. May need to double check

It is. Where Scotland play the rugby when touring.

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:I’m struggling to think of one that hasn’t been mentioned.

Nauru?

Bingo! Yaren is listed as the 'de facto' capital of Nauru.

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:I’m struggling to think of one that hasn’t been mentioned.

Nauru?

We still had Marshall Islands, Palau, Vanuatu, Tonga, Solomon Islands and Kiribati.

Postby Iranu

I could only think of Nauru and Tonga. Got lucky there.

In the series Lost, the plane crash takes place after the pilot loses radio contact and changes course to Fiji. From which city did the flight depart?

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:I could only think of Nauru and Tonga. Got lucky there.

In the series Lost, the plane crash takes place after the pilot loses radio contact and changes course to Fiji. From which city did the flight depart?

Ooh, Lost was a long time ago. Los Angeles? Or was that the intended destination?

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:sonny liston?

Charles ‘Sonny’ Liston - interesting character, one of the most fascinating characters in Boxing history. Nobody knows his date of birth, nobody knows the exact date of his death (sometime between the Christmas - New Year period of 70/71). Was he murdered? Was it suicide? An accidental overdose? Natural causes?

We’ll probably never know, he had ties to the mob who controlled Heavyweight boxing in the US in the 60s.

Son of Arkansas share-croppers, very poor family, no way of keeping birth records. His heritage is unknown as are so many things about his life.

Well worth researching his story, there are many books on him and documentaries.

But no Ghanaian ancestry, as far as is known.

Going to make dinner - clues will follow after.

The aforementioned Nigel Benn had an interesting past, as well. He was well connected to a certain crew of villains from the South East, including Tony Tucker and Pat Tate. They’d often be ringside at his fights, and walk in with him. Tucker and Tate were murdered, along with an associate, in the infamous Rettendon Murders.

The gang had a hand in supplying huge amounts of Ecstasy in the 90s, and were allegedly behind the dodgy pill that killed Leah Betts.

Legend has it a bigger fish decided they were becoming a liability...

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:I could only think of Nauru and Tonga. Got lucky there.

Been ages since I've seen Lost, for some reason I think they were coming from New Zealand (although that might just be because that bloke who played one of the hobits was in it), so I'll guess Auckland.

Postby Iranu

chengdufan wrote:My better half thinks it was Sydney

Your better half is correct and can set the next question <ok>

Postby SnookerEd25

Prop wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:sonny liston?

Charles ‘Sonny’ Liston - interesting character, one of the most fascinating characters in Boxing history. Nobody knows his date of birth, nobody knows the exact date of his death (sometime between the Christmas - New Year period of 70/71). Was he murdered? Was it suicide? An accidental overdose? Natural causes?

We’ll probably never know, he had ties to the mob who controlled Heavyweight boxing in the US in the 60s.

Son of Arkansas share-croppers, very poor family, no way of keeping birth records. His heritage is unknown as are so many things about his life.

Well worth researching his story, there are many books on him and documentaries.

But no Ghanaian ancestry, as far as is known.

Going to make dinner - clues will follow after.

The aforementioned Nigel Benn had an interesting past, as well. He was well connected to a certain crew of villains from the South East, including Tony Tucker and Pat Tate. They’d often be ringside at his fights, and walk in with him. Tucker and Tate were murdered, along with an associate, in the infamous Rettendon Murders.

The gang had a hand in supplying huge amounts of Ecstasy in the 90s, and were allegedly behind the dodgy pill that killed Leah Betts.

Legend has it a bigger fish decided they were becoming a liability...

Interesting, Prop. Didn’t know that. :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

(I knew of the Rettendon story, just not Benn’s ‘connections’ to those involved)

Postby chengdufan

Mrs. Fan:
'What was the flight number of the real life flight that famously disappeared in 2014?'

Postby chengdufan

If you want missing plane knowledge, Iranu is your man. Good memory on that one! <ok>

Postby Iranu

Speaking of missing planes, on what date was Amelia Earhart last seen before disappearing during her attempted flight around the world?

Postby Iranu

I’ll decide that based on how close the guesses are unless someone gets it bang on. 1937 is correct, anyone care to narrow it down further?

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:I’ll decide that based on how close the guesses are unless someone gets it bang on. 1937 is correct, anyone care to narrow it down further?

Springtime I think. April?

Postby Prop

New year’s day seems to be ringing a bell deep in the back of my mind?

Postby McManusFan

Iranu wrote:I’ll decide that based on how close the guesses are unless someone gets it bang on. 1937 is correct, anyone care to narrow it down further?

So we're not counting that episode of Star Trek Voyager she appeared in then?

Postby Iranu

McManusFan wrote:

So we're not counting that episode of Star Trek Voyager she appeared in then?

<laugh> Not on this occasion.