Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby SnookerEd25

Iranu wrote:Some dude from the Champagne region? If it’s who I’m thinking of I can’t remember his name anyway :chin:

I have no idea if the gentleman fits that criteria, but I’d need a name in any case

Postby HappyCamper

for some reason the venerable bede came to mind, but that's obviously wrong. but now i can't stop thinking about him.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:for some reason the venerable bede came to mind, but that's obviously wrong. but now i can't stop thinking about him.

Not the Bedester, no. I believe he majored on religious texts.

Postby SnookerEd25

Well, I mean you either know it or you don’t. I’m confident the likes of HappyCamper and LDS would be cognisant of the solution, just a matter of waiting for them to see the post.

First name is better known as that of a tank engine, surname is the same as a boarding school that Enid Blyton wrote often about. Both names are preceded by the same epithet that cricketing buffoon and alleged domestic violence enthusiast Geoffrey Boycott also sports.

Postby LDS

I saw the question, but I'm terrible with names, names just have a huge problem lodging in my memory banks. I'm aware of the guy and have seen and read the name a few times in my life, but couldn't even begin to guess what it is.

Also no good on tanks nor Enid Blyton books nor Geoffrey Boycott, what an eclectic range of trivia that entails!

HC might get it from the clues.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:thomas (the tank engine) malory (towers). i'd guess he was a sir too.

That’s it HC. Kudos. :clap:

Postby HappyCamper

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is an 1889 novel by which American author and humourist; the work satirises romanticised ideas of the past in contemporary society?

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:I don’t know the book but sounds like Mark Twain

It was Mark Twain. It's a good book.

Postby Iranu

Iranu needs to post a question!

Oh, right. That’s me.

Which historical figure is credited with this ‘inspirational’ quote:

“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.”

Postby LDS

Iranu wrote:Which historical figure is credited with this ‘inspirational’ quote:

This is going to be very difficult to guess without someone knowing the reference specifically as this is a very short pithy phrase of the type we see every day. It could have been invented by greetings card retailer employee or Jesus himself and all in between.

My first guess would be a religious person, but that doesn't help narrow things down & could still be a massive red herring.

Let's try Confucius for starters, he was the original kingpin of pithy one-liners after all.

Postby Iranu

LDS wrote:
Iranu wrote:Which historical figure is credited with this ‘inspirational’ quote:

This is going to be very difficult to guess without someone knowing the reference specifically as this is a very short pithy phrase of the type we see every day. It could have been invented by greetings card retailer employee or Jesus himself and all in between.

My first guess would be a religious person, but that doesn't help narrow things down & could still be a massive red herring.

Let's try Confucius for starters, he was the original kingpin of pithy one-liners after all.

I’m not sure I’d consider a greetings card retailer a historical figure, although I guess they’d have made a decent contribution with the quote :chin:

None right, LDS is closest chronologically, by a significant distance.