Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Sun Yat Sen University founded in 1924 by, and later named after, the political philosopher, revolutionary, and 'father of the nation' of the Republica of China has its main campus located in which city of mainland China?

Better have a stab before ChengduFan happens along.

Guangzhou?

Correct it is the city of rams! Given away by the original name of National Canton University.

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:Sun Yat Sen University founded in 1924 by, and later named after, the political philosopher, revolutionary, and 'father of the nation' of the Republica of China has its main campus located in which city of mainland China?

Guangzhou?

Correct it is the city of rams! Given away by the original name of National Canton University.

Damn, that's me told! Need to pay better attention next time I'm in Guangzhou!

Postby HappyCamper

chengdufan wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:

Guangzhou?

Damn, that's me told! Need to pay better attention next time I'm in Guangzhou!

On line 8 of the metro iirc.

Postby SnookerEd25

Gosh, I was not expecting to usurp our resident Chengdunian (?)

Bear with me while I come up with a question that somebody else might have a chance at :chuckle:

Postby SnookerEd25

Oh yeah. Forgot.

Not too hot on China questions.

Name the film that brought Steve McQueen (actor, not director) his only Academy Award nomination. Also starring Richard Attenborough, it is set in China in the 1920s on a US gunboat patrolling the Yangtze River.

Postby Juddernaut88

Maybe I should have rephrased that "Patiently waiting for a question on Sports or music" lol.

Although films not bad but I haven't got a clue with this one.

Postby SnookerEd25

Perhaps not as well known as I thought....

The gunboat in the film was named the USS San Pablo, and the title of the film was a corruption of that, the second word being the name of one of the children in the Flintstones cartoon...

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:saint pebbles?

Close - first word slightly different. think beach.

Postby SnookerEd25

Nevertheless, you have the correct answer - affording you the honour of advancing the quiz <ok>

Postby HappyCamper

Below is the opening couplet of a solo 90s hit by a seminal English songwriter:

Like pebbles on a beach
Kicked around, displaced by feet

Simply name the artist and song.

Postby Prop

HappyCamper wrote:
Prop wrote:Paul Weller - Broken Stones

correct, from the stanley road album.

And one of my Snooker Island Discs!

Weller is a famous British mod, and the word mod has many alternative meanings...

Which word - a portmanteau - best describes the reconditioning of classic cars, rebuilt to extreme standards with modern components such as brakes, suspension and engines, while maintaining and enhancing their classic looks and aesthetic design? The Singer DLS is one recent example.

Postby chengdufan

Prop wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

Weller is a famous British mod, and the word mod has many alternative meanings...

Which word - a portmanteau - best describes the reconditioning of classic cars, rebuilt to extreme standards with modern components such as brakes, suspension and engines, while maintaining and enhancing their classic looks and aesthetic design? The Singer DLS is one recent example.

Resto-mod
I know a guy who does this in England.
Not 100% sure what the wording is short for. Would guess restoration modification.

Postby Prop

chengdufan wrote:
Prop wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:

Resto-mod
I know a guy who does this in England.
Not 100% sure what the wording is short for. Would guess restoration modification.

Correct <ok> And yes, restoration-modification or restoration-modernisation. Something like that!

Postby chengdufan

Iranu wrote:A SAIC car?

Nope, the one I'm looking for is very well known globally