Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby McManusFan

The 'kirche' in Karlskirche has the same etymology as the word 'kirk' used to mean church in many parts of northern England and Scotland. Captain Kirk was the lead character in the original Star Trek series. From which language do we get the word 'trek'?

Postby HappyCamper

A seminal TV mini series produced in 1986 for the South African Broadcasting Corporation featuring actors such Roy Dotrice as King George IV, Edward Fox as Lt Francis Farewell, & Christopher Lee as Earl Bathurst, and co-written Joshua Sinclair based on his historical novel of the same name; starred former football player Henry Cele as which eponymous character?

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:ARCHBISHOP DESMOND TUTU :D :happy:

not the twentieth century archbishop, one must look a tad earlier in time.

LDS wrote:Cecil Rhodes?

not rhodes, prime minister of the cape colony during the reign of queen victoria.

Postby McManusFan

Assuming it was just set in one time period we're looking at something from the 1820s. I'm really struggling here, everyone I think of is either too early or too late.

Postby HappyCamper

Iranu wrote:Mandela?

assuming you mean nelson, no. who was still in pollsmoor prison serving a sentence for sabotage at the time of broadcast.

McManusFan wrote:Assuming it was just set in one time period we're looking at something from the 1820s. I'm really struggling here, everyone I think of is either too early or too late.

a very accurate deduction. the narrative commenced in 1823, and covered a time span of approximately five years.

Postby HappyCamper

LDS wrote:Quartermain.

Allan Quartermain was a fictional character created by H. Rider Haggard in his novel King Solomon's Mines

Here is a clue, in the form of a still image of Cele in costume.

Postby chengdufan

Shaka was killed by his brother, Dingane, who took control of The Zulu Kingdom. Dingane set up his capital in uMgungundlovu.
Peter Ndlovu, who incidentally has fathered 13 children (as per his claims in 2023), played for which Premier League team from 1991-1997?

Postby SnookerEd25

Coventry City

His first goal for the club was at Highbury in a 2-1 Cov win, the second goal after Lee Dixon’s famous own goal from just inside his own half :chuckle:

I was there :sad: