Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby SnookerEd25

Oh, sorry. I didn't think official confirmation had been given by Running Side.

But as the Great Adjudicator of the Quiz thread, I am happy to accede to your demands.

What is the name of the oldest pub in London? (reportedly; I think it is generally accepted to be, on the basis that no other establishment has been able to prove greater longevity)

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:The swan and paedo?

There is not, to my knowledge (and I doubt there ever has been) a pub in London called the Swan and Paedo.

The only one of that name I am aware of is in Hemel Hempstead.

Postby SnookerEd25

Not the Albert, sorry Judds.

The hostelry in question is still in operation, on the banks of the Thames at Wapping.

It dates from 1520, and was frequented at one time by’the hanging Judge’, Judge Jeffreys - so called for his draconian approach to sentencing.

A gallows and noose stands at the back of the pub in a nod to this period but, contrary to popular belief, has never been used and is purely ceremonial, although pirates and smugglers were believed to have been held in cells beneath the inn at one time, prior to being taken to meet their fate at Execution Dock, just a short walk away.

Postby SnookerEd25

Oh dear. I thought Happy Camper might know this - he knows most things - but the answer is neither the Dog & Bone or the King Henry, I’m afraid.

It is ‘the (something) of (something)’ : the first word is an anagram of PROP SECT and last word is the name of a town, chiefly associated with Bram Stoker’s ‘Dracula’.

Postby SnookerEd25

Spot on HC, I knew it was in the depths of your memory banks somewhere (clues notwithstanding! )

Over to you :clap:

Postby HappyCamper

i'd be lying if i said that was anything other than a guess based on the clues. obviously need to visit more london pubs, for research. this one should prove a little easier.

built by thomas fishburn of whitby, the hms endeavour was commanded by which explorer and navigator on a voyage of discovery from 1768 to 1771?

Postby HappyCamper

James Bentley wrote:The Endeavour was Captain (James) Cook's ship.

it was. on it he led an expedition to observes a transit of venus from the pacific ocean and then find australia. busy boy.

Postby Prop

The 1980 film The Long Good Friday was one of Helen Mirren’s breakthrough performances. Which British actor co-starred, playing the role of Harold Shand?

Postby Prop

James Bentley wrote:Bob Hoskins? Pretty sure he was in it.

That’s the fella <ok>

Postby James Bentley

Bob Hoskins starred alongside a number of cartoon characters in 1988's "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?". One such character, Jessica Rabbit, was the femme fatale of the story. Who provided her voice?

Postby HappyCamper

For some reason Miriam Margolyes came to mind, but actually I think she was the cadbury caramel bunny.

Postby James Bentley

Miriam Margolyes was indeed that bunny! But she wasn't that rabbit. That rabbit was American. But she wasn't Michelle Pfeiffer.

Postby James Bentley

Surprised there haven't at least been a couple more guesses at this one.

The actress in question has had lead roles in many films, such as The Man With Two Brains (alongside Steve Martin) and Peggy Sue Got Married (with Nicolas Cage), but my favourite was her appearance as the titular character in the John Waters-directed Serial Mom.