Post a reply

Re: Never Ending General Knowledge

Postby SnookerEd25

chengdufan wrote:Teacher?

He was indeed a qualified teacher <ok>

After leaving the teaching profession, he became a journalist, writing for far-right publications - possibly editing one...

Postby chengdufan

J.K.Rowling was also a teacher before becoming better known as the author of the Harry Potter series.
Under what male pen name does she now write crime fiction?

Postby chengdufan

HappyCamper wrote:Robert Galbraith?

That's the one. I'm reading the latest Strike novel at the moment. It's very good

Postby HappyCamper

The science fiction novel The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham was adapted in a 1960 film by director Wolf Rilla under what title?

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:The science fiction novel The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham was adapted in a 1960 film by director Wolf Rilla under what title?

the Village of the damned, I do believe

Postby HappyCamper

SnookerEd25 wrote:
HappyCamper wrote:The science fiction novel The Midwich Cuckoos by John Wyndham was adapted in a 1960 film by director Wolf Rilla under what title?

the Village of the damned, I do believe

That is correct. Good book, good film.

Postby SnookerEd25

Who was the original bass player with The Damned, and what is his connection to snooker? :chin:

Postby SnookerEd25

McManusFan wrote:Captain Sensible was the inspiration for Ali Carter to take up flying.

Whilst I have no evidence to the contrary, this is not the answer I was looking for :hmmm:

Postby HappyCamper

assuming that captain sensible is not on his birth certificate, does he share a given name with a snooker player?

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:assuming that captain sensible is not on his birth certificate, does he share a given name with a snooker player?

It wasn’t what I was looking for, but - you know what - I’m going to give it to you!

For two reasons -

1. I thought the answer I was looking for was well-known : that he sung the theme tune for ‘Big Break’. But nobody got that for several days so maybe it isn’t…

2. Captain Sensible was born Raymond Burns, but a quick internet search (before I dismissed your answer as incorrect) revealed that his birth name was Raymond Ian Burns

So :hatoff:

I think that answer is even better! :D

Postby HappyCamper

Below is a piece of religious art entitled the Fall of the Damned, it is work in oil on canvas depicting the eponymous horde being hurled in to the abyss by the archangel Michael; simply name the artist.

Postby Prop

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Prop wrote:That’s Rubens.

Not David Grace, then? :chin:

I don’t think so :sad: Bit of a difference between pop art and Baroque (plus around 400 years)

Postby HappyCamper

It is Peter Paul Rubens, about whom there are doubtless many interesting facts.

Postby SnookerEd25

HappyCamper wrote:

It is Peter Paul Rubens, about whom there are doubtless many interesting facts.

Isn’t that also the birth name of Pee Wee Herman? :chin:

Postby Prop

Pictured is the Rektoratskirche St. Karl Borromäus, commonly called the Karlskirche - a Baroque church located on the south side of Karlsplatz in Vienna, Austria.

By what name is it known in English?

Postby Prop

McManusFan wrote:Karl's cathedral?

Nope. Kind of sounds like “Karl’s”, though.