Post a reply

Re: The Greatest Hits Quiz!

Postby James Bentley

Not sure how much longer I'll be online, so I'll post the next one tomorrow, if that's cool with everyone.

Postby James Bentley

1. Bumble Boogie
2. Do You Love Me
3. Mother's Little Helper
4. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
5. Once In A Lifetime
6. Freak Scene
7. Sure Shot
8. Short Skirt/Long Jacket
9. She's Hearing Voices
10. Giving Up The Gun

No theme, other than that they're some of my favourite songs. Not the full list, of course; were I to compile such a thing, it would run to several hundreds. Some pretty easy ones, but some more tricky, as I think my previous lists have erred on the easy side. Chronological order.

Postby LDS

Dan-cat wrote:2. The Beatles

No, that's not The Beatles, although it is directly from that early 60s era of skiffle-come-early-rock. I have the 7 inch somewhere but feel like hunting it out would be cheating.

There are so many it could be, but its one of the shouty ones, so more in the vein of early The Who than early Hollies.

I don't think I have any The Who 7 inches (but I could be wrong), so my guess would start in the area of Eddie Cochran or someone like that.

Postby James Bentley

LDS wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:2. The Beatles

No, that's not The Beatles, although it is directly from that early 60s era of skiffle-come-early-rock. I have the 7 inch somewhere but feel like hunting it out would be cheating.

There are so many it could be, but its one of the shouty ones, so more in the vein of early The Who than early Hollies.

I don't think I have any The Who 7 inches (but I could be wrong), so my guess would start in the area of Eddie Cochran or someone like that.

LDS is completely correct (although I'd be amazed if the Beatles didn't do a version, as everybody else did). It is a shouty one, but it's very much an American R&B song, which was the goldmine all the beat groups were mining at the time, before they wrote material of their own. I'm preferably looking for the original artists (an American vocal group) but will accept the UK hit version (a British beat group, albeit a fairly unorthodox one).

Postby James Bentley

Dan-cat wrote:1. Kool and the Gang?

Not Kool and the Gang, although they're great too. Summer Madness is a very kool track.

Remember this list is in chronological order.

Postby James Bentley

LDS wrote:Just quickly as it just came to me, it wasn't The Troggs was it?

It's really infuriating me now. Am I allowed to research my own stock of records or does it have to be purely from memory?

No, not The Troggs. They were far too ramshackle to pull off this kind of recording. Right era, though.

I'd prefer if everyone's answers were purely from memory, but if you just happen to be looking through your records and come across it by chance, well, that would be serendipity.

Postby Reg Varney

Dan-cat wrote:1. Kool and the Gang?

Kool & the Gang did one called "Jungle Boogie" so easy to get confused. I have no idea on no. 1 anyway.

Postby HappyCamper

i'm pretty sure 2 is on the dirty dancing soundtrack. i know who wrote it, but just can't remember who performed it.

Postby James Bentley

Reg Varney wrote:6. Dinosaur Jr

I think 7. is possibly the Beastie Boys

Both correct!

Happycamper wrote:i'm pretty sure 2 is on the dirty dancing soundtrack. i know who wrote it, but just can't remember who performed it.

It is on the Dirty Dancing soundtrack (in the original version).

1. Bumble Boogie
2. Do You Love Me
3. Mother's Little Helper
4. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury & The Blockheads (Happycamper)
5. Once In A Lifetime - Talking Heads (Happycamper)
6. Freak Scene - Dinosaur Jr. (Reg Varney)
7. Sure Shot - Beastie Boys (Reg Varney)
8. Short Skirt/Long Jacket
9. She's Hearing Voices
10. Giving Up The Gun

Postby James Bentley

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:8 is cake.

Correct!

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:Giving up the gun was about 10 years ago.

It certainly was! But you don't get any points for that.

Dan-cat wrote:2. The Drifters

This is a great guess. It's a very similar group, although they're not as well-known here in the UK.

Postby Juddernaut88

Can we have a few clues for the others please? Hope I can try and fluke 1 at least.

Postby James Bentley

HappyCamper wrote:10 is vampire weekend

Yep. HappyCamper takes the lead (HappyCamper: 3, Reg Varney: 2, Krazeeeyekilla: 1)