Topic locked

Re: 2010 - Ladies World Championship and mixed doubles

Postby PLtheRef

sickpotter wrote:I agree, complete shame to see women kept out of halls in this day and age. If anything, getting some women in the hall should attract a few more men.

IMO women are stuck in a catch 22 trying to get table time with their male counterparts.

They need to play against better players to improve so they need to play against the top male pros.

The male pros from the same standpoint need to play/practice against tougher opponents to hone their games so they refuse to practice with the "weaker" female opponents.

Heck, Reanne had to get married to get a male pro to practice with her ;)

Perhaps a few mixed-doubles events might push things in the right direction with regards to providing women with more chances to play against/with their male counterparts.

And could it be said that being married to Mark has done her game any good? She beat John Higgins in the 6reds World Championships - & what did we get? Everyone excusing John because of the UK Final. Reanne went off to reach the Last 32 in that.

Postby Wildey

come on there must be a market in snooker for women for christ sake.

mixed doubbles is a good way of intergrating them i think Barry should look towards this Idea although Barry was instramental in Getting Rid of the World Doubbles when the World Matchplay Promoted by him got the spot in late 80s.

but playing Mixed as Part of the Ladies WC is not the way it needs to be on TV.

Postby GJ

wildJONESEYE wrote:come on there must be a market in snooker for women for christ sake.

mixed doubbles is a good way of intergrating them i think Barry should look towards this Idea although Barry was instramental in Getting Rid of the World Doubbles when the World Matchplay Promoted by him got the spot in late 80s.

not in the big events though mate you dont see women in the mens golf majors do you and women have their own majors in tennis

snooker has to keep its credibility IMO

Postby SnookerFan

GJtheaussiestud wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:come on there must be a market in snooker for women for christ sake.

not in the big events though mate you dont see women in the mens golf majors do you and women have their own majors in tennis

snooker has to keep its credibility IMO

Yes, but tennis is a sport which requires strength. When you assume that the people who play tennis professionally are elite athletes, then the majority of times the men would have the superior physical strength to beat females. Obviously the Williams sisters may have something to say about that, but they are exceptions, not the rule.

The majority of sports are highly physical games, and when you are talking about athletes of the highest order, rather then just average people playing, there is a reason for the segregation of the game.

Snooker, I fail to see where any physical strength advantage come into it? We can point to the fact that no women has had any success in the men's game, but that's probably not going to change if the women aren't given the same opportunities to improve that men are.

Postby Wildey

GJ

im not sugesting throw in women for the sake of it based on gender but a mixed event would be both men and women paired up so that women can play against men and get better.

persanally i think Reane Evans is just as good as some of the players on the main tour but she cant get better because opertunity for her to play the best isnt there.