Topic locked

Re: 6 Reds World Championships

Postby Bourne

SnookerFan wrote:
rebecca wrote:Did any of you's watch the final?

Please say ye didnt.

:ashamed: rofl

People on a snooker forum, having watched a snooker match. Imagine that. <doh>

Snooker ? What's snooker ?

Postby SnookerFan

Bourne wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Please say ye didnt.

Snooker ? What's snooker ?

To be honest, I didn't see the match, so I can't be too self righteous. I prefer real snooker to six reds, but would've given it a try if I hadn't already been busy. Don't want to give this silly idea too much credibility though.

Postby PLtheRef

Now as someone who reffed at the event it was good to see some snooker. We grumble that thet there isnt enough of the game on show and that we have an event and people belittle it. The aim of this event is to supplment the calendar not to replace events on the calendar. Its okay us saying how crap new ideas are but at least there are some new ideas coming foward.

Postby Wildey

paddy

my grumble is not that its played but its seen as "snooker's saviour" its not snooker's saviour neither is shot clocks and i worry instead of concentrating on issues that need adressing they thinking go will this things will change.

its snooker at the end of the day and if it runs alongside 15 red snooker it will work but people and some online thinks its the answer to all our problams. Barry Hearn + 6 red snooker = improvement.

Postby Roland

There's plenty of room in the calendar for 6 red snooker. I don't have a problem with it and I don't see it ever replacing the 15 red version.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wildJONESEYE wrote:paddy

my grumble is not that its played but its seen as "snooker's saviour" its not snooker's saviour neither is shot clocks and i worry instead of concentrating on issues that need adressing they thinking go will this things will change.

its snooker at the end of the day and if it runs alongside 15 red snooker it will work but people and some online thinks its the answer to all our problams. Barry Hearn + 6 red snooker = improvement.

wild. Good evening firstly. :)

I don't think Paddy, or anyone else for that matter, is perceiving 6 Reds Snooker as Snooker's 'saviour', far from it wild. What we've got is a comp, that's just taken place, all be it a different one, that was a bit of fun, taken seriously & professionally at the time.

The bigger picture, is next years calendar & from the players & fans like us perspective, to ensure we have continuity in the game that we all love.

We are where we are & hopefully, good people like ourselves who love the game, will see plenty more of it & become (& this is being really hopeful), having a choice to pick & choose what we either play in, or watch on TV. Eurosport spent money on covering it, which can only be a good sign. 6 Reds Snooker is like Draughts is like to Chess. A Different totally game.

There is, as we know, too many gaps in the current calendar, this particular comp filled one, where it also I might add, gave impetus to players like myself, playing the top boys once again. No restrictions or criteria was involved, just enjoyment & a chance for the up & coming players to see, including referee's, which is what it is all about. Don't seek the negative please wild because its too easy to find, the enjoyment is still there & now the 6 Reds comp is over, the feedback I'm getting is that everyone enjoyed themselves, including the players (Pro's, not me <laugh> ) & the spectators.

Postby Wildey

i think you find some do john ..

ive seen posts saying "this is what snookers been waiting for years for etc etc"

its a added ingreadient but persanally i thought it was wrong to hold a "world championship" in the middle of a snooker cockerel up regarding the running of the sport was it run out of desperation or for the right reasons ? im not sure.

Postby SnookerFan

I must say, the bit of it I watched, I quite enjoyed. Though bits of it were shoddy. The fact the announcer forgot a players name was poor.

wildJONESEYE wrote:i think you find some do john ..

ive seen posts saying "this is what snookers been waiting for years for etc etc"

its a added ingreadient but persanally i thought it was wrong to hold a "world championship" in the middle of a snooker willy up regarding the running of the sport was it run out of desperation or for the right reasons ? im not sure.

Well lets keep things in context. This was a comp run by Ken Doh, that was supported by most of the top Pro's. I could go on about the different 8 ball Pool versions that have transpired out of the simple spots & stripes or the reds & yellows, but its worked for the players, which, are the main ingredient in my opinion & I haven't heard too much complaining from the Pool players of late.

Overall, it filled a gap. The players outside interests were taken on board, it could have been better attended from a spectators perspective, but I've only literally put the phone down to one of the main boys getting his feedback, where I've also offered my services from a Project Management perspective for next years & other events, which he has accepted. Its only a stocking filler wild, while the main & new Man takes the helm. Nothing more, nothing less.

Postby Wildey

john

i know what was and who was behind it and i thought it was a great idea i really do because its work for players and it gives amateurs,ex pros and pros the opportunity of playing together which is bril and its fun but some people see it as the way ahead for the sport at some level it is but not to the extend they think it will be.

they actually think Barry Hearn will get 6 reds all over the shop and that will be great.

Sonny wrote:What are your thoughts on OneFourSeven John?

I'll be honest with you Sonny, & say that I haven't grabbed what its all about yet?

I was talking to Janie off global snooker, who hasn't got anything good to say about anything, & I asked her about what was going down with onefourseven & all I got back was how hard Terry Griffiths was to work for. She asked me for a light at the top of our conversation, I told her who I was, & it was all hard work after that. Tho in fairness to them people, 18-20 hours a day they put in & all look old before their time, honest.

I dont know Sonny, & that's genuine. I was thinking of entering, but the draw is done now, so I'll pass.

I'm sure it'll be well run, but I don't know or understand what the actual concept of it is if I'm honest. I hope it works tho. Probably, another stocking filler with the greatest amount of respect. <ok>

Postby Lucky

I dont understand peoples thoughts regarding this, its been another snooker tournament which hasn't in anyway affected any ranking events etc. and what ever your feelings regarding 6 reds, shot clock, 147 whatever.....no one is forced to watch any of it, there seems to be a kind of 'snobbishness' where this form of snooker is below us and we only want 'proper' snooker, its a ridiculous train of thought, if these variations bring a few fans into the game and even better a few future players, then its all good, if it doesn't and dies on its bottom, then so be it..........but it wont make 'proper' snooker disappear whatever the outcome <ok>

Postby Roland

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I was talking to Janie off global snooker, who hasn't got anything good to say about anything, & I asked her about what was going down with onefourseven & all I got back was how hard Terry Griffiths was to work for. She asked me for a light at the top of our conversation, I told her who I was, & it was all hard work after that. Tho in fairness to them people, 18-20 hours a day they put in & all look old before their time, honest.

rofl

My thoughts on it are that it's probably the worst snooker related idea I've ever heard and it reeks of desperation to come up with something new. But I've not seen it in action so I should wait until I have before I comment, but I can't see myself being convinced.

Basically, 147 divided by 7 = 21.

Therefore if you have 4 tables you can have 8 people playing and everyone can play each other for 21 minutes. It sounds like a whistle is blown (or something equivalent) and everyone starts and you play for 21 minutes and your total score in that time is then recorded. Then the whistle goes, you have a commercial break and when you come back everyone is playing the next person for 21 minutes etc etc etc.

It's like Big Breaks "pot as many balls as you can before the time runs out". It's a pot fest, and it's confusing and it's open to abuse i.e. players can help other players to win if they don't like the person currently winning etc etc.

My god I'm cynical aren't I?

:elves:

Lucky balls wrote:I dont understand peoples thoughts regarding this, its been another snooker tournament which hasn't in anyway affected any ranking events etc. and what ever your feelings regarding 6 reds, shot clock, 147 whatever.....no one is forced to watch any of it, there seems to be a kind of 'snobbishness' where this form of snooker is below us and we only want 'proper' snooker, its a ridiculous train of thought, if these variations bring a few fans into the game and even better a few future players, then its all good, if it doesn't and dies on its bum, then so be it..........but it wont make 'proper' snooker disappear whatever the outcome <ok>

I seen your reply Sonny.

LB. Yes, because of the doldrums the game has been in of late, its easier to close the mind rather than be strong & to keep it open. What did people think when Jim Davidson, John Virgo & the BBC put the Big Break show together, were eyes rolled then? I know when I was playing I was hoping to get on it. <laugh> Genuine.

As said, I've read Sonny's reply, its not something I've tried myself, but, lets give it a chance, if it captures the imagination, then it works. I've played a lot of Snooker, but never played that format of the game, maybe its a spin of from lives in Pool / Snooker?

As said, I honestly don't know, but there is the same turn out from what I have listened too, as the 6 Reds comp. That in it's self is proof enough of the gaps in the calendar.

Postby PLtheRef

wildJONESEYE wrote:paddy

Well as John said, I'm not perceiving 6reds as the saviour of the game, merely as a game of snooker which could make things a tad exciting - the cut-throat nature of the game is seen in a varient which is different to the game we generally see in its 15 red version.

It's interesting speaking to some of the players who took part and the main gripe that they had was the round robin format with race to 4s many who i spoke to would have rathered longer matches and the tournament lasting a week.

John, your opinions?

Postby rebecca

SnookerFan wrote:

Please say ye didnt.

I was only asking because they put me on the bucking television didnt they, absolutely mortificating, I looked like hell rofl
Damn my dad knowing a dude who passed his note on to Mike Hallet..

Paddy what do you look like? <laugh> Maybe I saw you

Postby PLtheRef

On Wednesday morning I was scoring two games but in the afternoon I was on table's 4, 9, 13 (TV Table) and 6.

I was the 'bouncer' next to where the players entered the arena for the seocnd semi and the Final on Friday.

I'm gonna try & attach the photo of Alex, Ken & myself. Note first name terms now.... <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

<laugh> great picture lad, nice to see you made a few well known mates. How did Alex do by the way? What a player that man was....

Postby PLtheRef

thetubberlad wrote:<laugh> great picture lad, nice to see you made a few well known mates. How did Alex do by the way? What a player that man was....

Alex came 4th in his group with 1 win and 3 losses - and with him in a group of 5 that meant he went out.

First game he was a tad unfortunate, the second match I can say Alex was thrown by something said to him by someone and didnt really turn up, on Wednesday he was 3-0 up nad then recovered from 3-0 down to 3-2 and really had the crowds urging him on, being real, if Alex hadnt had that thing said to him he may well have qualified.

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:I'm gonna try & attach the photo of Alex, Ken & myself. Note first name terms now.... <laugh>

well done john did my advice on posting pictures help if it did im like a proud father if it dont i feel i let you down <laugh>

however regarding the picture what a picture you got there mate ok Alex not the man he was and the word legend is thrown about like confettii but Alex Higgins is as big as it gets in the folk law of snooker and just about the biggest legend.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Great photo! How is Higgins still alive though?

that is testimony to his battling qualities ....its unbelievable how ill he has been for the last 15 years and he is still here.

Postby Bourne

Sonny wrote:He looks like my gran and she is nearly 100

Bit harsh on our John :evilgrin1:

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:He looks like my gran and she is nearly 100

i know fact he walks is unbelievable.