Topic locked

Re: 2010 Wuxi Classic

Postby Wildey

i believe 100% ding wanted to win and possibly if it meant nothing to him he would have won from 8-2 what im slightly concerned with is fans attitude towards invitationals as if they are nothing and players only there for the hell of it that is where this higgins issue is going to harm the development of snooker if fans gets to thinking that whats going on.

snookers foundation was built on these minor events and im very concerned fans see these events as nothing more than exhibition snooker.

Postby Roland

Well having just seen the result after I left it at 8-3 my first reaction was sadly for Ding, not overly surprised. I think I put the curse on him earlier and was actually expecting to find out he'd lost. Not good signs for him I'm afraid. Losing from 6 up with 7 to play no matter what the event isn't something you get over easily.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well having just seen the result after I left it at 8-3 my first reaction was sadly for Ding, not overly surprised. I think I put the curse on him earlier and was actually expecting to find out he'd lost. Not good signs for him I'm afraid. Losing from 6 up with 7 to play no matter what the event isn't something you get over easily.

i think the one good thing for ding is according to worldsnooker.com anyway that murphy won it and ding never had that many chance with 14 points in 7 frames whitch is pretty emphatic on the part of murphy.

Postby Roland

14 points in 7 frames? Wow! Stats on missed pots from Ding are required to make any sort of judgement. Ding's safety game is pretty hot when he applies it so you'd think at 8-6 the danger signs would've kicked in and he would have used strategy more. Knowing Ding he probably attacked everything then got down on himself when Murphy got in.

Postby Bourne

Shaun should be very proud of himself, that's a great comeback. Should push him onto bigger and better things now, maybe he can retain that PL title even. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:14 points in 7 frames? Wow! Stats on missed pots from Ding are required to make any sort of judgement. Ding's safety game is pretty hot when he applies it so you'd think at 8-6 the danger signs would've kicked in and he would have used strategy more. Knowing Ding he probably attacked everything then got down on himself when Murphy got in.

lets put it like this ding didn't have a chance of a break building situation in those 7 frames or he only needed 2 reds and 2 pinks to make 14 points so either murphy safety was tight or murphy potting and breakbuilding was out of this world or Ding was overconfident and trying to pot balls off the walls.....by not seeing the match we don't know rubbish lol

Postby Rocket_ron

davis147 wrote:Match - fixed again ! 8-2 up and will going to lose 9-8 with 14 points in the last 7 frames is very suspicious to me!

rofl rofl rofl rofl <doh>

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:Shaun should be very proud of himself, that's a great comeback. Should push him onto bigger and better things now, maybe he can retain that PL title even. <ok>

<laugh>

Very true, he is alos fav for the one frame shootout :ahh:

For whatever reason, Murphy always seems to shin these events. He was laughed at by his fellow pros about how serious he took pot black.

Also remember how he got on after he won the Malta cup when it was an invitational event? He said something like its now great to share one of Stephen Hendry's records.......winning the Malta cup back to back <laugh> <laugh>

It was made more funny by the other players saying they were there enjoying the sun, treating it like a holiday as it was only an invitational that year.

Postby Casey

I just read on 606 that in frame 8 Murphy was 80-17 down with just pink and black left and played on <doh>

Supposdley he also threatened to quit the match. Very annoying indeed. :roll:

Postby Casey

If you have a problem hit the report button instead of abusing other posters wild

Postby Roland

erm...

ok case is dealing with it. Caught me quite by surprise there wild. Totally uncalled for.

Postby João_SnookerPlanet

Terrific performance from Murphy. Always looks in super form in this kind of pre-season events. I expected him to have a great season after what he did last summer and when he started the Shanghai Masters with 3 immaculate victories, I thought the title was going to be his. But then he lost to Liang Wenbo and the rest of the season was awful...

Murphy's case is very strange in my opinion. Sometimes he's cueing superbly, hitting the ball so smoothly, with that perfect and straight cue action, every long pot going in, making big breaks etc. And suddenly everything changes and he can't hit a single ball properly and his cue action looks pretty ordinary; you can even find a huge difference by hearing the sound of the shot. It's possibly related to confidence but I can't really find an answer. One the most bizarre cases in snooker: all or nothing and you can't predict when and how it's going to happen. He can be one of my favourite players to watch when he's confident and cueing beautifully but I can also find him boring and uninteresting when he's not playing well (like he did this season).

Postby SnookerFan

case_master wrote:
Bourne wrote:Shaun should be very proud of himself, that's a great comeback. Should push him onto bigger and better things now, maybe he can retain that PL title even. <ok>

<laugh>

Very true, he is alos fav for the one frame shootout :ahh:

For whatever reason, Murphy always seems to shin these events. He was laughed at by his fellow pros about how serious he took pot black.

Also remember how he got on after he won the Malta cup when it was an invitational event? He said something like its now great to share one of Stephen Hendry's records.......winning the Malta cup back to back <laugh> <laugh>

It was made more funny by the other players saying they were there enjoying the sun, treating it like a holiday as it was only an invitational that year.

To be honest, I like seeing players with this attitude, wanting to win no matter how prestigious the tournament is to others. Players should feel shame if they turn up to a tournament, and treat it like a jolly up. All we've heard recently is that there aren't enough tournaments. Yet other pros mock him for taking the smaller tournament seriously? And no matter how prestigious a tournament is, or how few players there are there, I think a player taking it seriously and wanting to win should be applauded, not mocked.

Don't get me wrong, Murphy can be a prize mug sometimes. But in the age of not enough ranking tournaments, match fixing scandals, and 12-minute 20-second shot clock one frame tournaments being invented, because nobody is watching the sport, I think it's nice to see somebody who turns up and wants to win every tournament he enters, big or small. Hendry had that quality, that's part of the reason he won so much. He didn't treat any tournament, ranker or not, as a Legends of Snooker exhibition match. He played to win.

Postby Wildey

totally agree with you snookerfan its a pathetic attitude from players and if there is one thing that has stopped players dominate the last decade it is not standards but that attitude towards some tournaments even ranking tournaments.

Postby paperbackwriter

Surely it's nice to watch a player who tries to do his best in every tournament but in my opinion exaggeration is just as possible here. You cross the line and instead of being a real fighter and getting people excited- you become silly and totally uncool. And trying to make some of his achievements look more important than they really are or refusing to give up in no-win situations in non-ranking events (which isn't very likely to draw potential fans to snooker) means that Murphy is on the bad side here- at least for me. (It's probably also about the way in which he does all of this- doesn't really look like the attitude that is missed so much these days.)

Postby Wildey

paperbackwriter wrote:Surely it's nice to watch a player who tries to do his best in every tournament but in my opinion exaggeration is just as possible here. You cross the line and instead of being a real fighter and getting people excited- you become silly and totally uncool. And trying to make some of his achievements look more important than they really are or refusing to give up in no-win situations in non-ranking events (which isn't very likely to draw potential fans to snooker) means that Murphy is on the bad side here- at least for me. (It's probably also about the way in which he does all of this- doesn't really look like the attitude that is missed so much these days.)

again i agree players should try in all these tournaments but then forget it ASAP and move on to the next not making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Hendry attitude was always win the Grand Prix then a few minutes later look to win the UK Championship not dwell on what he did always look forward to the next.

Postby Roland

Can anyone shed any light on this story that Murphy apparently nearly gave up in the Wuxi final? I can find no evidence of it.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Can anyone shed any light on this story that Murphy apparently nearly gave up in the Wuxi final? I can find no evidence of it.

no me i do not know where that story came from..

that to start with does not sound like murphy he plays for snookers until the cows come home.

Postby Monique

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:Can anyone shed any light on this story that Murphy apparently nearly gave up in the Wuxi final? I can find no evidence of it.

no me i do not know where that story came from..

that to start with does not sound like murphy he plays for snookers until the cows come home.

everyone can have the odd moment of discouragement and tiredness of course but indeed I found no confirmation neither.
Would not be the first time a poster on 606 starts a rumour out of the blue.

Postby SnookerFan

paperbackwriter wrote:Surely it's nice to watch a player who tries to do his best in every tournament but in my opinion exaggeration is just as possible here. You cross the line and instead of being a real fighter and getting people excited- you become silly and totally uncool. And trying to make some of his achievements look more important than they really are or refusing to give up in no-win situations in non-ranking events (which isn't very likely to draw potential fans to snooker) means that Murphy is on the bad side here- at least for me. (It's probably also about the way in which he does all of this- doesn't really look like the attitude that is missed so much these days.)

Yeah, I think a player lauding it after a win, no matter what the tournament is, isn't on. I'd prefer to see a player congratulating his opponent etc and turning up focussed for the next event.

Without seeing it, the trying to win when that far done incident seems unneccessary. You clearly aren't go to win. I was one of those people who defended Alain Robidoux in that controversial frame, because he was 8-2 behind, about to go 9-2 in a first to ten match. Slight gamesmanship, perhaps, but trying to keep your opponent off the table a bit, try and throw him off for the last frame. On re-watching it on Youtube years later, it's only because it's Ronnie anybody remembers it... However, to do this in the middle of a match like Murphy did seems less understandable. Especially in a tournament like this. Wanting to minors is good, giving it your all is good, snake hissing about for no reason, not so good. I could understand if it was in the last frame or two, trying anything to get back into it... But by the sounds of it, that's not what Murphy was doing.